FH7's going back. Recommendations?
May 11, 2021 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Tripcrow

Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm in need of an IEM recommendation! I found the FiiO FH7's to be too piercing and heavy on the treble. I'm slowly realizing that the only sound signature I like is the following:

Bass: heavy, especially down low. Impact over decay, depth over resolution (would be nice to have all 4 though). Moderately elevated.
Mids: emotional, dynamic, full. Neutral to slightly elevated.
Highs: Smooth, non-offensive. I guess I really don't like "sparkle". The less sharpness the better, so long as resolution isn't completely lost. Mild to moderately recessed.

My perfect set of IEM's were the Aurisonic ASG 2.5's. No piercing, no sibilance to speak of, just luscious mids and massively deep/impactful bass. The mids somehow stole the stage, no sloppiness or recession at all, despite the ungodly amount of bass being simultaneously pumped out. They weren't the best for reference sound or anything, but the vocals were just so romantic and lively.
Any recommendations for this type of sound? Preferably around $400-$500, but don't mind a $200-$300 recommendation. I've found that diminishing returns are more prominent with IEM's.

May 11, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 2
Less expensive: Tanchjim Oxygen. There's a pair in the classifieds here for $210, new they're like $270. My favorite single DD. Harmon curve tuned, so they may not have the bass you're looking for out of the box, but if you switch to foams or double-flange tips they can dig pretty deep. Not to the extent of my other suggestions, but hard to beat at $200.

Mid-priced: Audiosense AQ7, $400. Big shell (1 DD, 6 BAs per side), so a no go if you've got smaller ears, but they seat well for me - no fit issues personally. Bass monsters. Solid mids. Non-fatiguing treble. Crinacle hates them, but I see that as a plus. :wink:

Over budget: AAW x TCA Project 4+2. $750. Dual DD per side in an isobaric setup (push-pull), 3 FIBAE BAs for mids, 1 NOVA BA for treble per side. Swappable bass modules let you choose from slightly bass light (for vocal focused stuff), pretty much neutral, or bass heavy. Easily my favorite IEM right now, to the point I'm considering selling all the others. Tons of trickle down tech from both companies' top end offerings, and it shows.

Alternately, The Custom Art FIBAE 4, ~$800. I've seen them described as V shaped but don't agree at all - to me they're more L shaped in tuning, moderate bass emphasis, otherwise pretty flat. Most impressive bass I've ever heard from a BA. Liked these so much I bought the Project 4+2 blind after hearing the guy from TCA tuned it, and was not disappointed at all. More than you're looking to spend I realize, but may be in budget if they come up used. Smallest and most ergonomic shells of anything I suggested.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back