FF VII Movie "Advent Children"
Sep 16, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
God, you're a real trooper to sit through FFVII twice, i did it once and it was more than enough.

5 five, 99hours + each

enix was also a good rpg maker but i dont understand how two great companies comes together to make completely craps. everything they make is for the fan and eye candy now. characters are all cute, perfect and pretty, exposed breastesses and other body parts, with stereotype personalities and no real depth.

btw, i thought its released on umd format only, if its out on dvd i might try to see it.

Sep 16, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 46
seirously i got so confused in the movie, the chicks were really nicely animated though
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #19 of 46
I liked the movie. Not a masterpiece, but since FFVII was one of my fav games, I liked the film alot just for the characters, world and graphics. I dont see how anybody not knowing the games would appreciate the film, though.

Sep 16, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
5 five, 99hours + each

enix was also a good rpg maker but i dont understand how two great companies comes together to make completely craps. everything they make is for the fan and eye candy now. characters are all cute, perfect and pretty, exposed breastesses and other body parts, with stereotype personalities and no real depth.

btw, i thought its released on umd format only, if its out on dvd i might try to see it.

No, I haven't seen this movie yet, but I tend to agree about Square=good, Enix=good, SquareEnix... what happened? You hit the nail on the head there though.

But having said that, warts and all FF7 had character. Even though the script translation was awful, it just didn't matter.

But now I think they're largely just trying to cash in on former glory, sadly.

Sep 16, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
Anyone know how the film was received in Japan? Maybe it's a cultural thing?

I actually ment Westerners, but I too wonder how it went across the ocean . . my guess is pretty well . . .

Sep 17, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #22 of 46
I actually really enjoyed the movie.

I played FFVII (3 times) back in the day, and I still think it was the best FF game (story, spell system, etc.) ever. I guess it's the fact that this movie brought me back into the world of FFVII that made it good. I can definitely see how people who either didn't play the game, or weren't very into the game, would dislike this movie.

All in all, IMO, it was much like other animes I've seen: Questionable storyline, awesome action and graphics, enjoyable if you get immersed into the story (otherwise
confused.gif
). By no means was it a masterpiece, but hey, I thought it was awesome.

Sep 17, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Square hasn't done anything decent since Final Fantasy Tactics
biggrin.gif

God, I love that game with a passion. If only the Japanese spec version of FFT made it to the States, there'd be alot more game to drool over from what I've heard
biggrin.gif
I can only wonder what was left out of FF6 that I don't know about-I've used cheats to see some of the dummy stuff, but that's about it.

So Advent Children is out, huh? (Shrugs shoulders) Meh. I'll get around to it when I can, but that won't happen for a loooooooong time. I still haven't seen Spirits Within, and really don't care to right now- I'm in Bruce Lee mode right now. Also, I heard it's only on UMD? Sorry, but I'm in no hurry to go out and get my hands on a PSP for this.

Oh, and I apologize for the rant. But I had to. But if the ladies were "nicely animated", maybe I will have to take a look at Advent Children after all
biggrin.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Sep 17, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Also, I heard it's only on UMD? Sorry, but I'm in no hurry to go out and get my hands on a PSP for this.

DVD and UMD.

Sep 17, 2005 at 11:05 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
DVD and UMD.

My mistake. Still not really interested at the moment though.
580smile.gif
Abe

Sep 19, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 46
I received my copy of DVD (Japanese) on Thursday and watched it. The story is pretty mediocre while the graphics was amazing.

That said, the movie makes a lot more sense in many ways (and more enjoyable) if you played the Japanese version of FFVII (and understood the language and culture well). I've played both Japanese and English version of FFVII and the translation from Japanese to English was just plain horrible.

Sep 19, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #29 of 46
Watched it last night. Decent action flick, but more or less no story/character develop/info/look into the outside world/etc. I wasn't really hyped into the whole film even though I was a fan of the game; I had some higher expectations nonetheless. So sad.

Also, tifa's kinda hot for a cgi girl . . . crap, did I just say that out loud?

Oct 18, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #30 of 46
Just finished watching it so I thought I give my little spew about the movie.
smily_headphones1.gif

To start I did not play any of the Final Fantasy games, so I really have no clue what this was all about, only that it takes place 2 years after FFIIV.

I really, REALLY, REALLY wished it had a storyline. The animation and character designs were just amazing. The colors, the action, even the music was
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
. But I just couldn't figure out what was going on. Even if I had played the game I think I would have still been lost. No character development and no storyline.
frown.gif

But... by the end of the movie I really did like it. I felt like I could have just turned off the subtitles and I would have had the same impression of the movie, and I wouldn't be forcing my eyes to go from the words to the action every half a second. Don't take this movie too seriously, just sit back turn off your brain and enjoy the special effects.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back