FF VII Movie "Advent Children"
Oct 18, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #31 of 46
Yeah, the storyline was pretty incoherent. People will argue that it's just supposed to "close" ffvii (the game), but still . . . they quarter-assed the story. I do agree the graphics are incredible though, the movie had so much potential. Maybe next time squenix makes a flick it'll live up to the hype. I think they can do it, don't mean they will though.

Oh yeah, buy the game.

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Oh yeah, buy the game.

I was very tempted to after watching the movie. But that would mean I have to buy the game system also... Seems a little extreme.
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I was very tempted to after watching the movie. But that would mean I have to buy the game system also... Seems a little extreme.
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

You can get a ps1 for like $50 or less nowadays, and the game for like 20 (greatest hits label). Hell, I'm sure you can find a friend with one or the other. I still got a ps1.

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #34 of 46
I watched this movie about three times over, and I still think it's simply an incredible movie. For those that say they don't understand what's going on, most likely you downloaded a copy of the movie that has a shoddy translation. Translations completely make or break this movie, where literally changing one word changes the entire definition of the scene. So far I've found the best subbing to be the one done by Shinsen. The first one I downloaded made absolutely no sense, then I tried a Shinsen-Subbed copy and everything made sense...although there were still some inconsistent translations (a big one being Vincent saying "where's the phone booth?" Change "booth" to "shop" and suddenly what he's saying makes sense, in relation to the scene with Cloud/Marlene/Vincent back in the Forbidden City). If you're really a fan of the movie, doing some external reading really helps to clear up a LOT of things as well (the meaning behind those pink ribbons everybody wears, the meaning behind the wolf, just how Cloud's sword really fits together, just what exactly are the Silver Haired Men, etc).

Of course, I also freely admit I'm an FF7 fanboy...but really, I thought the movie was awesome, and it made sense to me.
cool.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
If you're really a fan of the movie, doing some external reading really helps to clear up a LOT of things as well (the meaning behind those pink ribbons everybody wears, the meaning behind the wolf, just how Cloud's sword really fits together, just what exactly are the Silver Haired Men, etc).

Got any websites or anything with such reading?

Oct 18, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
They had a PC port.

Filled with way too many bugs, I might add.

Hmm, I just realized that I have/had 4 copies of FFVII - the original Japanese version, US release, US PC release, and Japanese "International" version.

Vertigo-1 - They translated it to "phone booth"? He specifically says shop and not booth. I may have to track down a copy of subtitle to see how bad the translation is.

Oh, and I agree that extra readings also adds a lot to the movie, and I, too, am a FFVII fanboy.

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Filled with way too many bugs, I might add.

Hmm, I just realized that I have/had 4 copies of FFVII - the original Japanese version, US release, US PC release, and Japanese "International" version.

Vertigo-1 - They translated it to "phone booth"? He specifically says shop and not booth. I may have to track down a copy of subtitle to see how bad the translation is.

Oh, and I agree that extra readings also adds a lot to the movie, and I, too, am a FFVII fanboy.

Yeah in two of the ones I downloaded, they both said phone "booth", which drove me and my friend nuts in trying to figure out what the heck Vincent meant with that. It wasn't until I did some external reading and found out he really is saying phone "shop" that that scene finally clicked. I just hope the official DVD release isn't as badly translated!!!

I did most of my reading over at Gamefaq. Go under PSP, and then Advent Children, and then Forums. You do need to weed out a lot of useless posts, but what's good in there is good. Took me about 5 hours to read through it all, but afterwards pretty much every last thing in the movie made complete sense to me, which gave me a sense of how great the movie is. The movie is really made up of a lot of subtle points, and I can see how a lot of it could go totally over one's head at first.

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #40 of 46
Just watched Final Fantasy Last Order... now I feel even more confused. But since this was supposed to take place before the game I don't feel too bad about being clueless.
confused.gif

I will be doing some additional reading to suppliment the movie. I'll probably gather as much info as I can stand then watch Advent Children again and see if it's better the second time around.
rolleyes.gif

Again, I thought it was a good movie even without the storyline. It's the best animation I've seen in a while. It's even better than Casshern, but that's probably because Casshern actually had real people in it. I love Japanese animation.
icon10.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #41 of 46
There's only one part of Last Order that's really confusing...the part where Sephiroth jumps into the Lifestream. Let's just say that part is different in the game, and it confused me as to which was truly what happened. But the authors of the FF7 storyline have said that Last Order is what they REALLY intended, so I guess that's the official word on the Cloud/Zack escaping incident.

Oct 18, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #43 of 46
yeah . . sephiroth was chucked into the lifestream by cloud, right? (IIRC)

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
I received my copy of DVD (Japanese) on Thursday and watched it. The story is pretty mediocre while the graphics was amazing.

That said, the movie makes a lot more sense in many ways (and more enjoyable) if you played the Japanese version of FFVII (and understood the language and culture well). I've played both Japanese and English version of FFVII and the translation from Japanese to English was just plain horrible.

Since FFVII was released on the PC, I'm suprised I haven't seen a hack to redo the translation properly (I would play it all over again). I still lov the game...put an *embarrassing* amount of hours into it.
redface.gif

BTW, there are a number of un-official patches for the PC version of FFVII.

-Alex

Oct 18, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
I did most of my reading over at Gamefaq. Go under PSP, and then Advent Children, and then Forums. You do need to weed out a lot of useless posts, but what's good in there is good. Took me about 5 hours to read through it all, but afterwards pretty much every last thing in the movie made complete sense to me, which gave me a sense of how great the movie is. The movie is really made up of a lot of subtle points, and I can see how a lot of it could go totally over one's head at first.

Thanks for the site. My god, there's a lot of fanboys, and fangirls.
wink.gif
This place will be taking up a good deal of my time.

So which version of the game should I play?
blink.gif
I don't speak/read Japanese, but am pretty fluent in English.
wink.gif
I have a computer (obviously) and can probably borrow a PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back