Few questions about building Headphone cable(3.5 to 4.4 or XLR)
Feb 10, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #46 of 56
Building your own cables is very rewarding , please don't give up

Via Blue make a very nice silver solder I have used it often

Splitters are not important some glue lined heat shrink will do the job

Should you wish to go a little upmarket regarding cable Belden make some highly regarded varieties , 8402 is great for interconnects and can be stripped out for a headphone cable . I just bought some 9497 I plan to build a balanced cable for my HE500 I will run one twisted pair for each side all the way to the connector , so no splitter

Neutrik connectors are excellent quality don't be put off by the comparatively low price , Switchcraft are also very good . Furutech are the best if you can afford them

I have used some of the Chinese made connectors and they do look nice but can be difficult to work with as the plastic insulators often have a low melt point
Have you worked with Mogami wire?

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #47 of 56
Have you worked with Mogami wire?
Yes quite a lot it was my favourite before I went up market with Belden

I prefer Mogami to Canare because it has a wrapped shield rather than braided so its much easier to strip back

Just to be clear I haven't noticed any audible difference between any of them

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #49 of 56
Have you looked on etsy?

There are some good dyier's there, maybe you can even find someone from Europe
I will today thanks! :)

Building your own cables is very rewarding , please don't give up

Via Blue make a very nice silver solder I have used it often

Splitters are not important some glue lined heat shrink will do the job

Should you wish to go a little upmarket regarding cable Belden make some highly regarded varieties , 8402 is great for interconnects and can be stripped out for a headphone cable . I just bought some 9497 I plan to build a balanced cable for my HE500 I will run one twisted pair for each side all the way to the connector , so no splitter

Neutrik connectors are excellent quality don't be put off by the comparatively low price , Switchcraft are also very good . Furutech are the best if you can afford them

I have used some of the Chinese made connectors and they do look nice but can be difficult to work with as the plastic insulators often have a low melt point
Thank you very much. I have actually never heard of Belden, but will check it now.....It´s a journey, can´t believe I came this far, but maybe I should be the headphone cable builder in europe :)

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #50 of 56
@Dogmatrix Can you link to a type of Belden cable you prefere?

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #52 of 56
The two types I use are 8402 and 9497

I am in Australia so links would not be useful to you but I know there are sellers on EBay who stock both those and are based in Greece and France
Thanks alot. I am no expert, all i know about cables is OCC and UP-OCC is better/cleaner than OFC....

...What makes belden so good? ... I don´t really see any of the mentioned above :)

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #53 of 56
Thanks alot. I am no expert, all i know about cables is OCC and UP-OCC is better/cleaner than OFC....

...What makes belden so good? ... I don´t really see any of the mentioned above :)
Belden is a very old company highly respected in professional circles for very high and consistent quality

In hindsight I think I am leading you astray , while I think the Belden 9497 will make an excellent headphone cable it will be much heavier and less flexible than what you are looking for

For your requirements one of the "star quad" cables would be best , they have all four conductors you need in one relatively light and flexible package

Either Canare L-4e6s or Mogami Neglex W2543 would serve you well

Feb 15, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #54 of 56
Belden is a very old company highly respected in professional circles for very high and consistent quality

In hindsight I think I am leading you astray , while I think the Belden 9497 will make an excellent headphone cable it will be much heavier and less flexible than what you are looking for

For your requirements one of the "star quad" cables would be best , they have all four conductors you need in one relatively light and flexible package

Either Canare L-4e6s or Mogami Neglex W2543 would serve you well
Thanks! I actually need lightweight cable so :)

I am looking for the smallest 3.5mm. The hifiman arya is so big I accidently touch/hit those connectors, when scratching my beard😂

Under 3cm/30mm would be awesome….2.5mm🙌

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #55 of 56
If you know any good cable builder in europe please tell me, because this is the reason I am building it myself=I cant find any
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/ amazing cables, especially the noir hybrid. Not cheap but worth the money. The first time I ever heared a improvement in sound with cabling (and I always was in the, cables don’t matter park)

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #56 of 56
Thanks. I since bought 3 cables from FAW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back