Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
May 25, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #1,202 of 1,294
Thank you to Ferrum and Cameron for the Wandla GoldenSound Edition! :) I am loving it! :two_hearts:

It sounds so natural and alive! I will even use it for recording my own music bringing to the analog world through Wandla GSE and back to the digital world through the RME.

It is also fun to use! I like the tube mode and can't wait to hear other future tube implementations as those would be interesting for listening and recording as well as I use a lot of virtual instruments and they need a bit of sweetness in character.

About the spatial enhancement (mid/side technique) implementation is nice and again fun to use! Is it ok to like the speaker mode when listening on headphones? I actually like that it is even more subtle than the headphones mode, but time will tell as I only have had an hour with the unit.

Now I want to have a different amplifier! lol. I have been using the HPA4 and the HDV 820 for the Susvara and HD800S, but I want to find a better match for them, specially for the Susvara. I have in mind the Prelude, the Bliss (not a fan of the size and heat), the Oor (but they might release a Gen2 soon as they have been doing with all of their products), and the HM1 that would finally devastate whatever is left in my wallet :sweat_smile:
Envy would be a good bet, it drives Susvara very well. Or HM1, as you mentioned, if you prefer a more neutral sound.
Bliss is very sweet sounding and could lack some impact with Sus, depending on your preferences.

Personally I would definitely choose Envy, it has loads of sound options by rolling tubes and sounds very clean for a tube amp and can add warmth, depending on the roll.

But the HM1 is also great, heard it in Munich. Very impressive indeed.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #1,203 of 1,294
I upgraded from the R26 to the Wandla GSE (just got it in yesterday). I posted my initial impressions here. I do find the improvements marginal, but these kinds of things you have to give it time. I bet if you go back to the R26, you'll notice a bigger difference (like you're missing something.
Yeah, I'll definitely give it more time, and I definitely want to try the spatial enhancement feature of the GSE! I would also be interested to know if the "Tube Mode" feature gives the Wandla a bit more weight to the sound.

And yeah, it's definitely possible that the difference would be bigger if I would go back to the R26 now. Too bad I don't have enough space on my desk to set both DACs up at the same time.

May 25, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #1,204 of 1,294
Yeah, I'll definitely give it more time, and I definitely want to try the spatial enhancement feature of the GSE! I would also be interested to know if the "Tube Mode" feature gives the Wandla a bit more weight to the sound.

And yeah, it's definitely possible that the difference would be bigger if I would go back to the R26 now. Too bad I don't have enough space on my desk to set both DACs up at the same time.
For the brief moment I heard the GSE, I thought that Tube Mode made the edges of the tones slightly more rounded, especially noticable in the heighs.

May 25, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #1,206 of 1,294
I would also be interested to know if the "Tube Mode" feature gives the Wandla a bit more weight to the sound.
That's the intent yep!
It doesn't alter FR at all, but adds some extra even order harmonics which make things a little warmer/weightier sounding overall.

It's intentionally subtle so that it's not a party trick you use for 3 songs then turn off forever, but for either tracks or headphones that benefit from a little extra body, that's what the tube mode is intended to do

May 25, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #1,207 of 1,294
Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #1,208 of 1,294
Hi,
Are the improvements useful for speaker’s listenings?
I'm using more speakers than headphones.
I'm actually testing Merason Frerot (usb) vs Cyan 2 (i2s)...
I' like to use HQ Player but I like more using my Eversolo A8 without computer.
It’s a lot more user friendly...
Yep! The spatial enhancement has separate speaker and headphone modes (I use speakers a lot myself, increasingly so these days)

And the tube mode and impact+ mode are effectively 'playback method agnostic' and work great through both mediums

May 25, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #1,209 of 1,294
That's the intent yep!
It doesn't alter FR at all, but adds some extra even order harmonics which make things a little warmer/weightier sounding overall.

It's intentionally subtle so that it's not a party trick you use for 3 songs then turn off forever, but for either tracks or headphones that benefit from a little extra body, that's what the tube mode is intended to do
I am really eager to try this.

I borrowed a Chord Dave for 6 months and compared to Wandla and Qutest. Not much difference between Wandla and Dave after a lot of testing, but there was this warmth/weight to the Dave I really liked that I will miss.

If GSE gives me that back I’ll be so happy.

May 25, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #1,210 of 1,294
Masskobo 465 ! Do it ! Haha.

Great impressions 👍🏻
:eyes: 465 is pretty damn fantastic

20240525_154407.jpg

May 25, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #1,211 of 1,294
Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #1,213 of 1,294
@GoldenSound I can buy a Ferrum Wandla for 2000€. (The owner bought it in 2024)
Is the future Wandla upgrade equal buying the new GSE version?
Thanks
The upgrade will give you the spatial enhancement, impact+, tube mode, and the changes made to the DAC operation itself.
Though you won't get the voltage divider option as that is a new hardware aspect.

May 25, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #1,214 of 1,294
The upgrade will give you the spatial enhancement, impact+, tube mode, and the changes made to the DAC operation itself.
Though you won't get the voltage divider option as that is a new hardware aspect.
I was chatting with Ferrum prior to buying mine around March this year and from what I understood this production batch already has the same revision of the hardware but Im no expert obv ...

May 25, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #1,215 of 1,294
I was chatting with Ferrum prior to buying mine around March this year and from what I understood this production batch already has the same revision of the hardware but Im no expert obv ...
Yeah if you buy a brand new stock Wandla it'll have the voltage divider. If the dealer has old stock it wont

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back