Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
May 22, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #1,171 of 1,234
The iFi iPower PSUs should come with more adapters, there's usually 5 in the box including the negative pin one. If those weren't in yours sounds like you may have received a "Refurbished" unit rather than a new one
I dont think thats the case, iFi doenst mentioned it on their site and in this unboxing, only the center pin negative adapter is present and USB adapters, as he has the 5V unit and only this unit ships with USB adapters.

I just ordered this adapter for anyone who is also interested in the iFi Elite for their Wandla:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0C4L2HBL5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #1,172 of 1,234
I dont think thats the case, iFi doenst mentioned it on their site and in this unboxing, only the center pin negative adapter is present and USB adapters, as he has the 5V unit and only this unit ships with USB adapters.

I just ordere these adapter for anyone who is also interested in the iFi Elite for their Wandla:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0C4L2HBL5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, seems maybe they don't include the adapters with the elite. That's a bit of a shame, they do include them with the normal iPower and iPower X

May 22, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #1,173 of 1,234

I just ordered this adapter for anyone who is also interested in the iFi Elite for their Wandla:

That's odd. My ifi iPower Elite 24V came with plenty of adapters incl. one that fits Wandla.

1716371590687.png

May 22, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #1,174 of 1,234
That's odd. My ifi iPower Elite 24V came with plenty of adapters incl. one that fits Wandla.

It seems they changed to no longer include the adapters in later batches, which is a real shame...

When comparing their iFi iPower X site to the iFi iPower Elite one it is clearly visible that the iPower X does ship with multiple adapters and the Elite does not anymore....
1716372449828.png

Well nevermind, the adapter should arrive tomorrow. Will report back asap if the stock power brick is worth upgrading.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #1,175 of 1,234
It seems they changed to no longer include the adapters in later batches, which is a real shame...

When comparing their iFi iPower X site to the iFi iPower Elite one it is clearly visible that the iPower X does ship with multiple adapters and the Elite does not anymore....

Well nevermind, the adapter should arrive tomorrow. Will report back asap if the stock power brick is worth upgrading.
That's an odd choice for sure to include less in the higher tier/more expensive product. Especially in a universal PSU like this.

Looking forward to your impressions.

May 22, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #1,176 of 1,234
Just received my iFi elite, but the plug will not fit as it has a smaller hole then the plug of the default PSU. My iFi only came with center pin negative adapter, which does fit but is not the correct one.

Do I need another adapter?

Edit:

Yeah looks like the center pin negative adapter also adapts the barral size to 5.5mm x 2.5mm. The standard plug (center pin positive), which is attached to the wire has a plug size of 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

So I need an adapter.
Did you check the specs on the bottom of the Elite PSU? It should tell you the polarity of the output cable. If it is center positive as I suspect you DO NOT need an adapter.

May 22, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #1,177 of 1,234
Did you check the specs on the bottom of the Elite PSU? It should tell you the polarity of the output cable. If it is center positive as I suspect you DO NOT need an adapter.
You need the adapter for the right pin size. Not the reverse polarity adapter.

May 23, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #1,180 of 1,234
You definitly need an adapter, not because of wrong polarity but because the default plug size of the Elite is 5.5 x 2.1, but Wandla needs 5.5 x 2.5.

The included white adapter with my Elite adapts BOTH polarity and size. So it is NOT compatible with Wandla even though it fits size wise.

May 23, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #1,182 of 1,234
So guys I have done my A/B comparison with the Elite and really don't know what to make of my findings yet.

I have set Wandla to automatically startup after standby, so I had about 5-6s delay between each switch.

At first I started my comparison with my Feliks Audio Euforia fitted with Svetlana 6AS7G Power Tubes and Fivre 6SN7 Driver tubes.

I thought that I could sense a little more impact with the Elite PSU, but as I switched back I could not confirm this without any reasonable doubt.

So it was most likely placebo.

I could not make out any differences in noise or smoothness in the sound, which I expected as the Euforia of course, is a tube amp that already colors the sound and is not silent when compared to solid-state amps.

But then I had an idea: the V200 has some jumper switches which basically allow it to run without any sort of noise rejection on the inputs.

I already tried this once in the past and didn't run it like that for long, because then I could hear the coil whine my graphics card makes while under load, e.g., in PC games. It disappears when I disconnect the USB connection from Wandla, which tells me Wandlas USB input is not 100% perfect, but that's another story. With the jumper set to lift, this issue is resolved, as then the V200 has a resistor engaged afaik.

Well, one thing I found with this somewhat unrealistic experiment is: when I crank the V200 with no filters engaged and plug in the stock PSU into Wandla, it makes a clearly audible whining sound during startup, which settles after a second or two. With the iFi, the startup is completely silent. So it seems the iFi PSU is definitely less noisy than the stock PSU and this seems to affect the output signal in a very minor way.

But even though I now know for a fact that the stock PSU makes more noise, I really have trouble justifying the Elite. In normal music listening, I really cannot tell an obvious difference, even when running the V200 as mentioned. With tubes, there is zero difference, as they are far too noisy to pick this up.

Maybe a Susvara would be able to resolve this better with music, but with my ZMF it's just not worth it IMHO...

I think I will take some more time to listen to some more tracks with the Elite and then decide if I want to keep it.

Edit: Just noticed: The Elite itselve makes a chirping sound when Wandla is in standby :see_no_evil:

Attachments

• unamed2.jpg
    unamed2.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 0
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    994.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #1,183 of 1,234
So guys I have done my A/B comparison with the Elite and really don't know what to make of my findings yet.

I have set Wandla to automatically startup after standby, so I had about 5-6s delay between each switch.

At first I started my comparison with my Feliks Audio Euforia fitted with Svetlana 6AS7G Power Tubes and Fivre 6SN7 Driver tubes.

I thought that I could sense a little more impact with the Elite PSU, but as I switched back I could not confirm this without any reasonable doubt.

So it was most likely placebo.

I could not make out any differences in noise or smoothness in the sound, which I expected as the Euforia of course, is a tube amp that already colors the sound and is not silent when compared to solid-state amps.

But then I had an idea: the V200 has some jumper switches which basically allow it to run without any sort of noise rejection on the inputs.

I already tried this once in the past and didn't run it like that for long, because then I could hear the coil whine my graphics card makes while under load, e.g., in PC games. It disappears when I disconnect the USB connection from Wandla, which tells me Wandlas USB input is not 100% perfect, but that's another story. With the jumper set to lift, this issue is resolved, as then the V200 has a resistor engaged afaik.

Well, one thing I found with this somewhat unrealistic experiment is: when I crank the V200 with no filters engaged and plug in the stock PSU into Wandla, it makes a clearly audible whining sound during startup, which settles after a second or two. With the iFi, the startup is completely silent. So it seems the iFi PSU is definitely less noisy than the stock PSU and this seems to affect the output signal in a very minor way.

But even though I now know for a fact that the stock PSU makes more noise, I really have trouble justifying the Elite. In normal music listening, I really cannot tell an obvious difference, even when running the V200 as mentioned. With tubes, there is zero difference, as they are far too noisy to pick this up.

Maybe a Susvara would be able to resolve this better with music, but with my ZMF it's just not worth it IMHO...

I think I will take some more time to listen to some more tracks with the Elite and then decide if I want to keep it.

Edit: Just noticed: The Elite itselve makes a chirping sound when Wandla is in standby :see_no_evil:
Is Wandla less aggressive with the iFi Elite vs stock psu?

May 23, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #1,184 of 1,234
I believe I am PROBABLY the first in the US to receive shipment of the GoldenSound Edition Wandla, and I have to say, I am blown away.

To shed some light on my upgrade path, I initially used a geshelli stack, and when I ended up selling both dac/amp, I started using RME UCX II for DAC and the OOR (standalone) amp. AB from what I was using, no comparison! I am using a pair of Diana TC with vegan bass-ported pads and it is such a wonderful combo, it's like I have to keep listening because it's just so nice! Being able to tune the sound to your taste is an absolute delight. Software rolling, as it seems. I love it, and the best part is, I have yet to integrate the hypsos yet! I am holding out for the hypsos dual output ver. so it'll be a little bit of time, but worth it entirely according to the feedback I have read.

Impact+ is just what I needed to get a little more bass out of my DTCs. They are perfect for me now, lol. The change introduces a tasteful touch of slam. It's noticeable for sure, don't get me wrong, it's just not obnoxious is what I am trying to say. I can happily say, this will remain on for the duration of my ownership.

Tube Mode is, well, exactly as it seems. To my ears, it changes the flutter to butter. Need I say more? :) I'd use this, as the mood fits.. you know, family dinners and all that.

Spatial Enhancement, where have you been? I didn't even know I needed you until you showed up. This feature is definitely staying on until the cold death of the universe. Set it and forget it. I could describe the change as increasing instrumental separation, and the varying characteristics of the instrumental dynamics. I'm not going to lie, it's hard to put to words; this is my first review, please be nice. What I can say with a concrete sense of understanding is that yes, it does change the characteristic of the sound, but in a tasteful manner. Think of this feature like being a mastering technique, that makes all your music sound better. (This feature is more noticeable on some tracks than others, as it may seem).

Well, that is all I have to say! I am now enamored by rediscovering my music library! If anyone has some music recommendations, I am all ears!

Thanks for reading,
Batman

P.S. I'm getting EMPY 2 soon, will report back with impressions!

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #1,185 of 1,234
I believe I am PROBABLY the first in the US to receive shipment of the GoldenSound Edition Wandla, and I have to say, I am blown away.

To shed some light on my upgrade path, I initially used a geshelli stack, and when I ended up selling both dac/amp, I started using RME UCX II for DAC and the OOR (standalone) amp. AB from what I was using, no comparison! I am using a pair of Diana TC with vegan bass-ported pads and it is such a wonderful combo, it's like I have to keep listening because it's just so nice! Being able to tune the sound to your taste is an absolute delight. Software rolling, as it seems. I love it, and the best part is, I have yet to integrate the hypsos yet! I am holding out for the hypsos dual output ver. so it'll be a little bit of time, but worth it entirely according to the feedback I have read.

Impact+ is just what I needed to get a little more bass out of my DTCs. They are perfect for me now, lol. The change introduces a tasteful touch of slam. It's noticeable for sure, don't get me wrong, it's just not obnoxious is what I am trying to say. I can happily say, this will remain on for the duration of my ownership.

Tube Mode is, well, exactly as it seems. To my ears, it changes the flutter to butter. Need I say more? :) I'd use this, as the mood fits.. you know, family dinners and all that.

Spatial Enhancement, where have you been? I didn't even know I needed you until you showed up. This feature is definitely staying on until the cold death of the universe. Set it and forget it. I could describe the change as increasing instrumental separation, and the varying characteristics of the instrumental dynamics. I'm not going to lie, it's hard to put to words; this is my first review, please be nice. What I can say with a concrete sense of understanding is that yes, it does change the characteristic of the sound, but in a tasteful manner. Think of this feature like being a mastering technique, that makes all your music sound better. (This feature is more noticeable on some tracks than others, as it may seem).

Well, that is all I have to say! I am now enamored by rediscovering my music library! If anyone has some music recommendations, I am all ears!

Thanks for reading,
Batman
Really glad you're enjoying it!
If you've not done so yet, I'd strongly recommend trying the track "Closer" by Lemaitre.

During the main chorus/busy part, try switching spatial enhancement on, then off again after a few seconds and hear the difference.

That particular track has been one of the most clear demonstrations of how much of an improvement the spatial enhancement can make imo.

And as you said for other tracks it won't make as much difference. It depends on how many positional/spatial cues are actually in the track to begin with. Stuff that is much more closed in from the start will remain closed in and won't be altered much at all. Others like that track I mentioned above can have separation and staging improved massively

Users who are viewing this thread

Back