Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #812 of 1,028
Hehe thanks! I use it like this:

Computer —USB — RME Interface — AES — Wandla
Hmm, makes sense I guess. Though my brain keeps asking what the point of going from USB to an RME is. Why not just use the USB c then? I'd like to figure out a way to do i2s since it's supposed to be really good, but USB to i2s seems pointless vs USB c. Not sure I can get a pink faun to work with the wandla either

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #813 of 1,028
I'll buy your old one 😂. Out of curiosity, how are people connecting these to a source? Just USB c to a PC or what? I2s somehow?
I am using all the digital inputs of the Wandla. The USB C is connected directly to the computer. All the other digital inputs of the Wandla (Optical, Coaxial, AES, I2S) are connected to the Matrix X-SPDIF 2. All the digital inputs sound the same to me. Sadly my hearing isn't what it use to be but I could hear slight differences between the digital inputs using the iFi iDSD Pro, especially between USB, I2S and Optical. Optical sounded more organic, smoother, less fatiguing. I2S seemed to have more attack on transients compared to USB and Optical. Sometimes I wish I would have kept the iDSD Pro and sold the Wandla. Hopefully the Golden Sound edition will make me glad I decided to keep the Wandla.

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #814 of 1,028
Well, if anyone is looking to sell a wandla, Oor, and hypsos stack in good shape, let me know as I am in the market.

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #815 of 1,028
Hmm, makes sense I guess. Though my brain keeps asking what the point of going from USB to an RME is. Why not just use the USB c then? I'd like to figure out a way to do i2s since it's supposed to be really good, but USB to i2s seems pointless vs USB c. Not sure I can get a pink faun to work with the wandla either
Thank you for the interesting question :)

The thing is that the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE is a monster digital device. I use it for recording with Logic Pro as well.

But mostly because the RME can store many settings for my headphones and transfer them digitally to the Wandla. I can save EQ and the lowest cross feed to the Wandla and switch settings with the companion app in less than 2 seconds. And at the same time it can send optical to my Mojo 2 with the same information.

Also, I find the Wandla to sound better with either AES or optical. I don’t have i2s to try it out 🥺

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #816 of 1,028
Recieved my Wandla last week and really enjoing it!
A huge upgrade over my V850.

However, I have a strange Issue which I can't quite reproduce yet.

I use the Wandla connected to my PC via its included USB cable. I have the Windows driver (v1.2.0) installed.

Afte a random amount of time, for example when playing a game or having a Zoom conference call, the Wandla just freezes and plays a static noise on the left channel.
The touchscreen is inresponsive. I have to unplug it from power and then reconnect it, then it immediatly starts working again.

I have Windows set to 48kHz/32 Bit, as many games are mastered in 48 kHz nowdays.

I have performed a factory reset via the Wandla OSD, no change.

The Wanlda I recieved is fairly new I believe, as I had to wait quite a long time for my retailer to recieve a restock.
Mainboard Version 4.0, FW Version 1.3.0, Serce Version 3.0, Bootloader Version 0.13.3.

Has somebody experienced similar issues?

Edit: I will try to play Tidal in Exclusive mode for a long time to see if it still freezes.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #817 of 1,028

I use the Wandla connected to my PC via its included USB cable. I have the Windows driver (v1.2.0) installed.

Afte a random amount of time, for example when playing a game or having a Zoom conference call, the Wandla just freezes and plays a static noise on the left channel.
The touchscreen is inresponsive. I have to unplug it from power and then reconnect it, then it immediatly starts working again.

I have Windows set to 48kHz/32 Bit, as many games are mastered in 48 kHz nowdays.

The Wanlda I recieved is fairly new I believe, as I had to wait quite a long time for my retailer to recieve a restock.
Mainboard Version 4.0, FW Version 1.3.0, Serce Version 3.0, Bootloader Version 0.13.3.

Edit: I will try to play Tidal in Exclusive mode for a long time to see if it still freezes.
I would try a different usb port on the pc if you haven’t. If it’s plugged into a usb 2.0 port then try a 3.0 port. Try reinstalling drivers if you haven’t. See if anything on the pc is trying to take exclusive control of the dac maybe when it happens. Just a few guesses. I would also set the dac to 48/24 in windows instead of 32.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #818 of 1,028
I would try a different usb port on the pc if you haven’t. If it’s plugged into a usb 2.0 port then try a 3.0 port. Try reinstalling drivers if you haven’t. See if anything on the pc is trying to take exclusive control of the dac maybe when it happens. Just a few guesses. I would also set the dac to 48/24 in windows instead of 32.
I have connected the Wandla to a USB 2.0 Port now. Also I have changed the Windows Sampling Rate back to 44.1 kHz with 32 Bit, which was the default as far as I remeber. Will report back, if the issue reapears.

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #819 of 1,028

I have also noticed that Wandla likes to be connected directly to the usb c ports in my MacBook, it doesn’t like being connected to an external usb hub or things like that.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #820 of 1,028
Is there FW 1.3.0 available? Mine is still 1.2.0 and no updates.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #821 of 1,028

I have. I've had my Wandla for about little more than a week. It has frozen twice, so far only on optical. One was silent, the other was with a loud high-pitched noise, both had unresponsive touch screen. Also with 1..3.0 and m/b v 4.0.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #822 of 1,028
Thank you for the interesting question :)

The thing is that the RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE is a monster digital device. I use it for recording with Logic Pro as well.

But mostly because the RME can store many settings for my headphones and transfer them digitally to the Wandla. I can save EQ and the lowest cross feed to the Wandla and switch settings with the companion app in less than 2 seconds. And at the same time it can send optical to my Mojo 2 with the same information.

Also, I find the Wandla to sound better with either AES or optical. I don’t have i2s to try it out 🥺
Holy crap, I have an Adi-2 Pro and a Wandla as well and this never occurred to me to try. Even a Mojo 2… I might really just copy your setup there 😄

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #823 of 1,028
I have. I've had my Wandla for about little more than a week. It has frozen twice, so far only on optical. One was silent, the other was with a loud high-pitched noise, both had unresponsive touch screen. Also with 1..3.0 and m/b v 4.0.
Thats exactly the behaviour I am facing! So it seems to be a FW glitch of some sorts.

I have now connected my Wandla to a USB 2.0 from a USB 3.2 port on my PC and switched back Windows sampling Rate to 44.1 kHz in Windows Settings at 32 Bits.
Been trying to get it freezing up again by playing Tidal in non exclusive mode, playing Youtube while launching Tidal in Exclusive Mode etc...

So far, it seems to be stable. I also disabled all Auto Options in the Wandla (Auto Screen off, Auto Standby, Auto Startup) except ambient brightness control.

Will report back if it re-occurs.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #825 of 1,028
Is there FW 1.3.0 available? Mine is still 1.2.0 and no updates.
The newer units with HW 4.0 seem to ship with it. Do you have the option to switch between Pro and Red Book under Audio -> DAC Out Standard? I think they added the ability to switch between those via HW in 4.0, so the Max Output voltage gets capped at either 4.0V or 9.75V without analog/digital attenuation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back