Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #646 of 1,222
MQA in all unfolds and masters are different than all 24/192 by ear and measurably worse. First unfold at mid rate of 88.2 is tolerable if it's the only version available. The cables, the dac, the transport, transducers do not matter when everything is equal but for a full MQA unfold vs a 24/192 FLAC of the same file with the same alleged source material (i.e. not a different master 2024 version vs 1972 vs 2001 etc).

You have simply convinced yourself you prefer strange masters made for MQA compression. None of this matters as it has lost the format war and will go the way of the dodo soon. Hardware support is already a bygone consideration and Tidal will eventually convert out their library.
Let them be happy with their delusions. MQA is a dying standard anyway.

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #647 of 1,222
I would venture to guess, GoldenSound has tested the options, numerous times on numerous products as he has reviewed them. He just might have a bit more actual and objective experience in this field than most of us.

You don’t have to necessarily take what he says as gospel, but he’s not exactly lacking in knowledge and experience.

you have both the Wandla and May KTE?

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #648 of 1,222
Yes AQ has all possible combinations, but I think he is alone in the "mainstream" brands to do that. I think I will buy the Carbon model. But it is again 200 euros, and you can also add to the bill the cable to link with the hypsos, it is 100 euro more..So 300 euro in addition for the final bill
There are more that are making USBc, DH Labs is one, which is supposed to be excellent.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #649 of 1,222
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #651 of 1,222
Feb 14, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #653 of 1,222
I realize that this might be apples<>oranges, but could anybody speak to the WA23 vs. the Wandla stack? Both incredibly premium headphone desktop setups, and I'm very interested in them both (goodbye, money).

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #654 of 1,222
I realize that this might be apples<>oranges, but could anybody speak to the WA23 vs. the Wandla stack? Both incredibly premium headphone desktop setups, and I'm very interested in them both (goodbye, money).

I have both here. It really depends on what you are going for. The WA23 you still need a good DAC, so you are looking at $10K+ versus the entire Ferrum Stack, Wandla, Oor, & Hypsos, which is just about $6K. The compact form factor of the Ferrum equipment is fantastic for saving desk space, if space is a concern.

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #655 of 1,222
I have both here. It really depends on what you are going for. The WA23 you still need a good DAC, so you are looking at $10K+ versus the entire Ferrum Stack, Wandla, Oor, & Hypsos, which is just about $6K. The compact form factor of the Ferrum equipment is fantastic for saving desk space, if space is a concern.
Thanks for the quick reply! I think form factor/size and price are going to push me towards the Ferrum stack vs. the WA23 given the need for a DAC. I assume the main tonality difference is in the tube aspect vs. solid state? I am a bit biased towards soundstage and am a bit of a bass-head. Running Empy II and Diana MR currently and am probably 75% sure I'll be keeping the Empys and sending the MRs back. The lack of clamping force and soundstage with the Dianas are the leading reasons, as much as I wanted to love them.

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #656 of 1,222
Or maybe I should try running the Wandla + WA23. Might be an interesting combo...maybe not... 😂

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #657 of 1,222
For those considering getting a WANDLA in the near future, wait until after CanJam NYC :)

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #658 of 1,222
Or maybe I should try running the Wandla + WA23. Might be an interesting combo...maybe not... 😂
I have the Ferrum stack. Contemplating on the WA23 myself. Waiting to have a demo during CanJam here in NYC in a few weeks to make a decision. I do have tube amps, the WA7 Fireflies 3. Tubes will sound different from SS, even more so with the WA23 bec of its output which will make it sound even more tubey, something that I really want. I feel that the Ferrum stack will complement the WA23 imho. The Ferrum stack sounds incredible for its price and size/form factor, reasons why I chose it. If I get the WA23, I will have no choice but to finally find/make space. Wife will never be pleased lol. I also have the MR. I see that you have the Empy 2? They came out almost at the same time and I went with the MR. I feel it contemplates very well with my Susvara. The MR with the WA7 sounds incredible. Sadly WA7 does not have enough power for the Sus, hence my plan for the WA23.

For those considering getting a WANDLA in the near future, wait until after CanJam NYC :)
Heard something wonderful about the WANDLA. Thanks to you ❤️

Btw was wondering for your thoughts. I currently have my WANDLA on bypass. Or should I have the OOR on bypass instead? Ty

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #659 of 1,222
Btw was wondering for your thoughts. I currently have my WANDLA on bypass. Or should I have the OOR on bypass instead? Ty
I actually prefer the sound of the Wandla analog vol control vs the OOR vol control. So I'd say put OOR in bypass and use vol control on WANDLA.

But they're close and probably worth trying both to see if your preference differs

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #660 of 1,222
I actually prefer the sound of the Wandla analog vol control vs the OOR vol control. So I'd say put OOR in bypass and use vol control on WANDLA.

But they're close and probably worth trying both to see if your preference differs
Thank you! I kept moving back and forth between the two for months now and still couldnt decide lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back