Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #301 of 1,028
I listen to jazz and some post-xx stuff.

I would say the vocals are not that charming because this DAC sounds too clean.

Weiss 205 is much better with vocals because it is warm and lush.

But don’t get me wrong, when it comes to instruments, Wandla is truly wonderful.
Thanks. Most of my jazz listening is without vocals, but I do play singer-songwriter and folk. Reckon there’s enough similarities between that and your jazz with vocals that I should pay attention to.

I’ve not heard any Weiss DACs so don’t have a frame of reference, but I expect they are a bit above the Wandla in many aspects.

Thanks for the intel, I appreciate it.

Oct 6, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #302 of 1,028
Thanks. Most of my jazz listening is without vocals, but I do play singer-songwriter and folk. Reckon there’s enough similarities between that and your jazz with vocals that I should pay attention to.

I’ve not heard any Weiss DACs so don’t have a frame of reference, but I expect they are a bit above the Wandla in many aspects.

Thanks for the intel, I appreciate it.
weiss dac 205 is much cheaper actually....nvm

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #303 of 1,028
For anyone wondering, I found (for my ears) that difference between using standard included charger and using Hypsos with Wandla (not using OOR) is quite substantial, improving micro/macro dynamics, with microdetails, clarity more pronounced. I consider it is a worthy upgrade if you want to squeeze the best performance from Wandla, making it a truly outstanding dac.
Does lowering the voltage on the hypsos for wandla changes the tonality or character in some way?

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #304 of 1,028
not the tonal response but I perceive lowering it to about 22V makes the sound a bit leaner, increasing makes it a more dense, thicker

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #305 of 1,028
not the tonal response but I perceive lowering it to about 22V makes the sound a bit leaner, increasing makes it a more dense, thicker
I mean that’s exactly what I wanted to know. Interesting that it behaves oppositely to the Oor. In oor lowering the voltage makes it thicker sounding

That’s what keeps me from getting wandla, vocals are a bit thin. Perhaps hypsos is the answer (I don’t need/want oor)

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #307 of 1,028
I mean that’s exactly what I wanted to know. Interesting that it behaves oppositely to the Oor. In oor lowering the voltage makes it thicker sounding

That’s what keeps me from getting wandla, vocals are a bit thin. Perhaps hypsos is the answer (I don’t need/want oor)
Maybe you can borrow a Hypsos to test into your setup, easier to decide then. Anyway, once I heard Wandla with Hypsos, I made my mind and sold the Gustard R26. Is very good without the source but became excellent with it (at least for me)

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #308 of 1,028
sounds like the output v is changed according to the input v
Maybe, I have no idea how modifying input voltage translates to subtle sound alterations in Wandla's case

Oct 7, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #309 of 1,028
The best aspect of this DAC is its exceptional spatial and temporal details. In addition, it maintains a balanced and neutral sound signature, not leaning towards warm or cold. In terms of spatial cues, it can rival the performance of DAVE with the assistance of HQFilter.

However, what piques my interest even more is the future potential of this DAC. It is evident that the onboard system-on-a-chip (SoC) has untapped power waiting to be unleashed. If Ferrum is able to implement HRTF/virtual surround functionality on this chipset, it would be highly intriguing. Qudliex has already achieved this on a smaller-scale device with the T71.

Oct 7, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #310 of 1,028
To me Wandla now also found it's final place in my setup replacing my Spring 3. Thanks to the extra space that Spring 3 freed up I was also able to move my Eversolo DMP-A6 to the desk now feeding Wanlda via USB. I couldn't be happier with the sound of my system right now. Especially in combination with my Mod House Tungsten DS every track just takes you on a journey in the best way possible :beyersmile:

Can you please eloberate a bit more about the tonal differences to Spring 3 which I currently also own?
Looking for a TOTL bedside DAC 😉

Oct 7, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #311 of 1,028
Can you please eloberate a bit more about the tonal differences to Spring 3 which I currently also own?
Looking for a TOTL bedside DAC 😉
The biggest difference for me was in the speed of transients. Especially for electronic music. The other big difference for me was that the Wandla managed better to place sounds in the stage. And doing that more "floaty" and clearer separated. Spring 3 KTE with HQPlayer @ 1.5Mhz came close. But especially in these two aspects I still preferred the Wandla. Big argument in general is also that Spring 3 needs a pretty cumbersome HQPlayer chain to shine to that level - in my case via Ropieee NAA that often had its own problems when working via VPN etc. . Wandla just does it all the time with a click in the menu. No delays and loading times. Just a better every day package for me.

Oct 7, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #312 of 1,028
The biggest difference for me was in the speed of transients. Especially for electronic music. The other big difference for me was that the Wandla managed better to place sounds in the stage. And doing that more "floaty" and clearer separated. Spring 3 KTE with HQPlayer @ 1.5Mhz came close. But especially in these two aspects I still preferred the Wandla. Big argument in general is also that Spring 3 needs a pretty cumbersome HQPlayer chain to shine to that level - in my case via Ropieee NAA that often had its own problems when working via VPN etc. . Wandla just does it all the time with a click in the menu. No delays and loading times. Just a better every day package for me.
Thx! You still own both according to your signature?
I confirm your cumberness experience with HQPlayer indeed.
Wondering if and which other filters Ferrum is going to offer in future.
Someone was mentioning mids like vocals being not the star of the show with Wandla (whereas I am thinking that these are quite good on Spring 3), Wdyt about that?

Oct 7, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #313 of 1,028
Thx! You still own both according to your signature?
I confirm your cumberness experience with HQPlayer indeed.
Wondering if and which other filters Ferrum is going to offer in future.
Someone was mentioning mids like vocals being not the star of the show with Wandla (whereas I am thinking that these are quite good on Spring 3), Wdyt about that?
I've sold my Spring 3 by now. Forgot to update the signature :sweat_smile: . Spring 3 might sound a bit fuller in the mids but also a bit softer. It might sound more natural for some but for my personal preference and gear I preferred the Wandla and didn't feel like loosing out on anything in the mids but gaining in the aspects mentioned earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back