Ferrum WANDLA GoldenSound Edition - Pre-Orders are Live!
May 23, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #91 of 101
What is your favourite filter?
Did you ever try Wandla -> He1 instead of the internal DAC?

Did you use it with Hypsos or without?
Do you think it has only better price/performance ratio than e.g.dCS Lina or even higher performance overall?

Forget the filters or the qualities of the different Dacs......The GSE is about something completely different - thats why it is a MUST BUY👍

❗️You have to think of this device as a headphone processor for spatial hearing, not as a DAC❗
It can't be that difficult to understand what this device is mainly about 🤣🙈

NOMAX

PS.and there will never be a headphone that can do this alone with its own transducer

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #92 of 101
Arrived just in time for the long weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 23, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #93 of 101
May 23, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #94 of 101
How's it sounding so far? :D
I obviously want to give this some time before providing any detailed impressions, but swapping it out with the R26, the most noticeable to me is that it's just a much more coherent sound. More space between instruments while effortlessly bringing details of each to light. Busier tracks feel less busy, less chaotic.

I'm still having a hard time hearing differences with the Impact+ and Tube Mode, but the Spacial Enhancement I can tell toggling between on/off. It doesn't seem forced, rather, an increase to the overall space while keeping details intact; like increasing the dimensions of a room, allowing the instruments to spreadout more comfortably.

Musicality, warmth, and engagement are not lost from going from an R2R to ESS. In fact, I think I've gained quite a bit in those categories.

More to come! I'll conclude for now to say that this is sounding promising :).

May 27, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #95 of 101
I'd be interested in a Server/Roon Core with the same Form factor.

Maybe even with Hardware upsampling & DSD conversion since they already collaborated with the guy behind HQPlayer for the Wandla.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #96 of 101
I obviously want to give this some time before providing any detailed impressions, but swapping it out with the R26, the most noticeable to me is that it's just a much more coherent sound. More space between instruments while effortlessly bringing details of each to light. Busier tracks feel less busy, less chaotic.

I'm still having a hard time hearing differences with the Impact+ and Tube Mode, but the Spacial Enhancement I can tell toggling between on/off. It doesn't seem forced, rather, an increase to the overall space while keeping details intact; like increasing the dimensions of a room, allowing the instruments to spreadout more comfortably.

Musicality, warmth, and engagement are not lost from going from an R2R to ESS. In fact, I think I've gained quite a bit in those categories.

More to come! I'll conclude for now to say that this is sounding promising :).
Coming from the R26, I'm having a really hard time enjoying my Wandla fully. I have about 50 hours or so on it so far, and while I enjoy the improved spatial presentation and the increased speed at the same time I'm really missing the weight of the sound from my R26. Especially kick and snare drums sound off to my ears with the Wandla. I was hoping the Tube Mode would warm things enough to give some more weight, but it sounds like the difference isn't as big as going back to the R26. Would you agree?

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #97 of 101
Coming from the R26, I'm having a really hard time enjoying my Wandla fully. I have about 50 hours or so on it so far, and while I enjoy the improved spatial presentation and the increased speed at the same time I'm really missing the weight of the sound from my R26. Especially kick and snare drums sound off to my ears with the Wandla. I was hoping the Tube Mode would warm things enough to give some more weight, but it sounds like the difference isn't as big as going back to the R26. Would you agree?
I think your headphones are more forgiving with what’s in the chain, so the difference is probably not that big. With the Sus, I’m definitely hearing more micro details in certain tracks, than with the R26. At the moment, I have all GSE filters turned on. I want to burn the sound into my brain then start taking away some of the filters. But yes, they are pretty subtle.

It would be nice to add an “amount” slider or something that controls how much of the filter effect is applied in a future firmware update.

Other things I enjoy about the Wandla GSE over the R26: the output voltage (Red vs Pro) and the touchscreen. The former gives a lot more headroom on my amp. The latter, though very cool, I wish the audio options were put into sub-categories as there are so many options that you need to swipe quite far to get to certain ones.

May 28, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #98 of 101
Can anyone confirm wether this is the correct email Address for Ferrum?
info@hem-e.com

May 28, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #99 of 101
I think your headphones are more forgiving with what’s in the chain, so the difference is probably not that big. With the Sus, I’m definitely hearing more micro details in certain tracks, than with the R26. At the moment, I have all GSE filters turned on. I want to burn the sound into my brain then start taking away some of the filters. But yes, they are pretty subtle.

It would be nice to add an “amount” slider or something that controls how much of the filter effect is applied in a future firmware update.

Other things I enjoy about the Wandla GSE over the R26: the output voltage (Red vs Pro) and the touchscreen. The former gives a lot more headroom on my amp. The latter, though very cool, I wish the audio options were put into sub-categories as there are so many options that you need to swipe quite far to get to certain ones.
Thanks for your input! It's not hard to imagine that Susvara would reveal the differences much better. I really wish the Wandla had a bit more body/weight since after getting used to the bass of the R26, with the Wandla my Atrium sounds almost like it has quite a neutral bass tuning while my Caldera (with the Thick Leather pads) sounds almost bass-lite. :rolling_eyes: Maybe I should start considering the new LAiV Harmony DAC.

May 28, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #100 of 101
Thanks for your input! It's not hard to imagine that Susvara would reveal the differences much better. I really wish the Wandla had a bit more body/weight since after getting used to the bass of the R26, with the Wandla my Atrium sounds almost like it has quite a neutral bass tuning while my Caldera (with the Thick Leather pads) sounds almost bass-lite. :rolling_eyes: Maybe I should start considering the new LAiV Harmony DAC.
That's how I felt when I had the Wandla. Coming from the Soekris 2541, it was missing the bass punch. At that time, I had the Red+Wandla+v550+Utopia setup, which was not a good pairing. It was resolving but light/thin, especially with the Utopia, known to be one of the pickiest headphones.

I have since changed my chain and downgraded. I'm actually thinking of getting the Wandla G/S since I now own the v281 (which is warmer) and I don't have the Utopia anymore.

May 28, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #101 of 101
That's how I felt when I had the Wandla. Coming from the Soekris 2541, it was missing the bass punch. At that time, I had the Red+Wandla+v550+Utopia setup, which was not a good pairing. It was resolving but light/thin, especially with the Utopia, known to be one of the pickiest headphones.

I have since changed my chain and downgraded. I'm actually thinking of getting the Wandla G/S since I now own the v281 (which is warmer) and I don't have the Utopia anymore.
In my system, the punch is actually there but I'm missing the thump if that makes sense. Might just be that my brain is used to hearing that slower bass sound of the R26, but it still sounds more natural to me which is what I look most for in my music listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back