Female Avatars?
Jan 6, 2010 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

adrift

500+ Head-Fier
Completely random thought here while perusing the forum but does anyone else get confused about the gender of a poster who uses a female avatar? The girls in these avatars are either smoking hot or Japanese comic characters. I'm assuming there's probably a couple smoking hot female members of this forum, but it seems unlikely that all of them are. And I, by default, figure that anyone who's got a manga/anime character in their avatar is probably (but not necessarily) a teen to twenty-something male.

Its sometimes confusing cause when I read a post from someone who has a person in their avatar I tend to imagine the voice... it gets a bit weird when I read someone with a female avatar post something out of... character... I guess. lol. Maybe I'm the only one that feels that way though.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 66
what about ones with cat avatars? I recently had a gender fail with boomana
redface.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 66
No, I don't. Generally the female avatars are ones with headphones covering their boobs, or an angel drinking whiskey, and I don't know that a female would feel the need to appear like that. Also, to clarify, I am not a cat stuck in a sleeve, and I'm pretty sure that my friend who has posted above me is not Mr. T.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 66
Well, unlike all of you, I actually am an elderly gentleman who enjoys both headphones and celebration of the new year.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then there are the females with male avatars...

I didn't think there were any females on the internetz

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I don't. Generally the female avatars are ones with headphones covering their boobs, or an angel drinking whiskey, and I don't know that a female would feel the need to appear like that. Also, to clarify, I am not a cat stuck in a sleeve, and I'm pretty sure that my friend who has posted above me is not Mr. T.

The angel drinking whiskey one I'm familiar with. I could see a girl using that one.

I thought your cat was rolled up in a carpet. I love Dune by the way (the Lynch film and not the books... true story).

Guys using female avatars doesn't trip me up as much as my male coworker who likes to play as females in multiplayer online games...

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't tell me that krmathis isn't a wizard duck?

Everytime I see his avatar I think old hippy. I can dig it.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, unlike all of you, I actually am an elderly gentleman who enjoys both headphones and celebration of the new year.

I actually wondered about that for some time. I think I confirmed you were much younger in that one age/job thread that was going a couple months ago.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My picture is of myself because I had a brief stint of narcissism and made it.

Rest assured, I am male

I prefer people using avatars of themselves. Again, helps makes sense of that internal narration as I'm reading posts.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back