Feliks Audio tube amps
May 28, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #1,081 of 1,113
Been through quite a few amps now and audition quite a lot more. Violectric v281 and Ragnarok will drive the LCD4 well. Glenn Super 9 OTL amp will drive the 200ohm LCD4 very well. However the ultimate will be the DNA Stratus which I'll be receiving in July 2019. :)

I make this post in August 4th 2018. I didn't have the LCD4 then and didn't have the v281 (did have the v280 later) but have Ragnarok and later did have the Glenn Super 9 OTL amp. I was the first to popularise the GOTL. One or two owners before me but it wasn't well known then until I exploded the Glenn thread.

For some reason the DNA Stratus eluded me. Once I place an order but withdraw after waiting 8 months... because the Sansui(s) craze descended upon me with the force of a gale.

However I have the LCD4 now for a month -bought new and also a new 300b amp lovingly call Destiny. I have very linear and neutral system setups before but I didn't know that I also love creamy, chocolatey sounding setups with voluptuous bass and yet amazingly clear details and the mid range is to die for. Yes LCD4 and Destiny with Yggdrasil sends goose bumps all over me. I can hear Eva Cassidy's breath on my ears.

LCD4 with Destiny Woo. What a name. :ksc75smile: In case you're wondering... will the Wa22 drive the LCD4... not in my opinion ... power is just barely adequate. Destiny on the other hand will rock and roll LCD4.

IMG_2489.jpg

May 28, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,082 of 1,113
I seem to wake up from a land far, far away.... :) This thread and my Feliks Audio Elise and Euforia was so loooong ago..... and I'm still in Head-Fi. :)

I never had the Echo because why would I after I have the Elise and Euforia.

However to answer your question... NO. Feliks Echo use 2 6N6P power tubes and 2 6N1P driver tubes. The Sylvania 6sn7w and Bendix 6080wb that I talked about above are not suitable for your Echo...

I can't believe I say '.. Bendix 6080wb has the weight of an ocean liner giant anchor'. Well you get the idea. :ksc75smile:
Yes it's amazing that comments made on threads that had appeared mothballed years ago can awaken again.

Similar things have happened on some other threads.

Okay thx for answering my question. I need to do more reading. I only received the echo today and it's my first OTL tube amp. I've had more experience with tube hybrids.

Haha we all use rather creative ways of describing audio.

May 29, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,085 of 1,113
Definitely good to see you again Ross. Since Jan 2021 till now, I've been on a whirlwind tour of amps and a bit of dacs and some headphones.

Amps
Questyle CMA 12 - sold
Schiit Mjolnir 2 - sold
Violectric v280 - sold
SMSL SP200 - sold
Auralc Taurus Mk2 - sold
La Figaro 339i - sold
Elekit TU-8200 - fire in a tube, being repaired now
Destiny 300b amp - This one's an angel. In action with LCD4 all the time now. One month old.
Odyssey KT88/EL34, etc amp - being built now from Sweden. - My swan song from amp. I expect great things from it.

Dacs
Bifrost 2 - good dac
NAD M51 - great dac still have original double box with a hardly use remote control.

Headphones
He1000se - just love this headphone
LCD4 - my latest craze. Just had it for a month.

My posts are in all their respective threads. :)

All the ss amps that I sold are very good (SP200 so so, fiddly volume knob but a lot of power). Should have kept at least one of the ss amp but I have plans for a better one later. Not in a rush because I just prefer tube amps euphony. Maybe a GSX Mk2 ?

May 29, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #1,087 of 1,113
@MIKELAP !!! Never expected to see some of my old friends here. How are you?
Very good ,I pop in from time to time to checkout stuff .Settled down quite a bit tube and ampwise . Kinda into gaming these days ,and Ebiking never a dull moment .Hopefully will start seeing the grandkids more till end of summer when fully vaccinated Hope all is well for you to .Take care .

May 29, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #1,088 of 1,113
Very good ,I pop in from time to time to checkout stuff .Settled down quite a bit tube and ampwise . Kinda into gaming these days ,and Ebiking never a dull moment .Hopefully will start seeing the grandkids more till end of summer when fully vaccinated Hope all is well for you to .Take care .

Very good ! Ebiking :) I have too much to do and too little time. :) Got to get back on my Specialized again. You too take care.

May 29, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #1,089 of 1,113
Definitely good to see you again Ross. Since Jan 2021 till now, I've been on a whirlwind tour of amps and a bit of dacs and some headphones.

Amps
Questyle CMA 12 - sold
Schiit Mjolnir 2 - sold
Violectric v280 - sold
SMSL SP200 - sold
Auralc Taurus Mk2 - sold
La Figaro 339i - sold
Elekit TU-8200 - fire in a tube, being repaired now
Destiny 300b amp - This one's an angel. In action with LCD4 all the time now. One month old.
Odyssey KT88/EL34, etc amp - being built now from Sweden. - My swan song from amp. I expect great things from it.

Dacs
Bifrost 2 - good dac
NAD M51 - great dac still have original double box with a hardly use remote control.

Headphones
He1000se - just love this headphone
LCD4 - my latest craze. Just had it for a month.

My posts are in all their respective threads. :)

All the ss amps that I sold are very good (SP200 so so, fiddly volume knob but a lot of power). Should have kept at least one of the ss amp but I have plans for a better one later. Not in a rush because I just prefer tube amps euphony. Maybe a GSX Mk2 ?
Wow, still at it with your tube amps. I would have thought the Glenn one would be the pinnacle of it. But we all know how it goes lol. Hey, what about your vintage amps? These would be the knees bees I would reckon, solid state but sounding rather tubey at times.

I'm currently using my Hugo2 most of the time for convenience sakes with a recently acquired used HD800. But having an issue with the stock cable which is facing wear and tear. Haven't had the time to look out for a replacement cable. Unless u have one for sale 😉

May 30, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,090 of 1,113
Well Ross, Glenn OTL amp was great but you know how it is... there's always another mountain in Head-Fi. Sometimes I wonder what would have happen had my son not brought home the Aune T1 in 2015. I probably wouldn't have got into this hobby. I would have been a commercial orchid grower... maybe citrus fruits too. Or grapes? :)

Sansui 907mr developed a channel imbalance and I sold it for cheap at $1500 together with the step down transformer. Then I bought another equally powerful Kenwood KA 3300D. 150w into 8ohms. Will bring the house down driving my floor standers.

Chance encounter with Elekit TU-8200 got me deeper into the hobby. Without this amp I wouldn't have got Destiny and Odyssey. A superb Japanese DIY tube kit amp. Assembled by an expert and I bought it cheap. This amp sound stonkingly good and it plunge me right back into a different type of NOS tube types. Then the desire to get a better custom amp based on KT88 / EL34 began and I search for a builder... eventually settle on Tomas of Ultrasonic Studios fame. Tomas was very keen to build this amp. Sowter transformers, Mundorf caps and Yamamoto tube sockets. Would even have gone for Yamamoto vintage mA meters but they stop producing it. While waiting for this amp (Odyssey), I stumble upon McChanson's amps and he's based in Sydney ! That started the process of trialling two 300b and one KT88 McChanson amps at home for 1 week. At the end of the trial, I know I have to get a custom 300b McChanson amp. Chose a gold front panel and call it Destiny because this amp was never ever on my head-fi roadmap - it's just destined to be mine. :rolling_eyes:

After Odyssey, it's probably the end. I'm wary of getting new amps. :thinking: There comes a time when enough is enough and I had more than enough. May not have everything but certainly a lot.

The next hobby will be relaxing and won't have to spend much and get a lot.... of fishes.

gone-fishing-kenneth-m-kirsch.jpg

May 30, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #1,091 of 1,113
Hahahaha...fishing is good for the soul, it soothes and relaxes and you get to enjoy the fruits of your fishing labor too... i myself have gotten into fishkeeping as a small hobby, how therapeutic it has been although from 1 aquarium, it has now blossomed into several with a few out in the garage with no external oxygen or filtration support save for aquatic plants taking up the tasks instead.

On head-fi, i'm still looking out for 1 tube amp, missed them since i sold the Elise and the Glenn amps. But nothing too expensive (although a 300B based on has always been in the bucket list but not looking to be ticked off anytime soon...). Perhaps one of those Yamamoto puny powered amps although i doubt i may drive my Senns well.

I need to check out your McChanson amps though, sounds interesting - are they for speakers or headphones or both?

Aug 3, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #1,093 of 1,113
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,094 of 1,113
Now you're just showing off! Congrats on your new amp, 3.1W SET power from carefully selected components will work wonders on your HEKSE I'm guessing...

:ksc75smile:

It would work wonders on my Hekse and LCD4 for sure but I've an Abyss 1266 TC coming for a home demo. Also I would want to test it with my speakers for sure.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #1,095 of 1,113
:ksc75smile:

It would work wonders on my Hekse and LCD4 for sure but I've an Abyss 1266 TC coming for a home demo. Also I would want to test it with my speakers for sure

@Rossliew, @hypnos1, @connieflyer, @paramesh, @angpsi , @gibosi , @xtiva, @xtr4 can you let what's his name my friend in Malaysia -- something yousupkarmi ?.. know this ...

Odyssey is finished now.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/oblivion-ultrasonic-studios.902926/post-16481499
congrats chief !!! your must be rubbing your hands in glee and anticipation :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back