Feliks Audio tube amps
Sep 5, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #811 of 1,113
I'm starting to miss my Euforia in storage in the states, I do recall an unmatched soundstage, realism and dynamics compared to any other amp I've owned. In the meantime I've modded a budget compact closed headphone called Neu HX6000 I found here in Japan with nice results, and am waiting on my Focal Spirit Classic, which was to me the best closed headphone I tried out of at least 150 closed headphones at the Osaka Earphone Shop (not counting the open headphones I tried, some of which are technically superior).

I've been wondering where is @hypnos1 - have you already reached an end game? And @HOWIE13 too?

Hi DL...your head must have been swimming BIG time, after all those cans lol!!...not to mention confusing?!!

As for myself, I still love my T1s...especially now I've upgraded source to the Naim UnitiCore server (etc.) and Hugo2 DAC/Amp...all helped along by the Balanced AC Mains/Filter unit.

These have also taken my mesh plate EL11/12 Spezial combo to new heights, making this indeed my "End game" setup...(or will probably be (??!!), once my UPOCC (single crystal) silver wire arrives from Taiwan - added to some UPOCC copper - and I can make my new 'super' interconnects!! :ksc75smile:...a bit more info on the sound over at the Euforia thread - post #3205 :https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-euforia-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.831743/page-214

Hopefully, I have truly reached "the end"...but 2018 could well bring new horizons lol! :wink:...CHEERS!!

My ZMF Eikon and Atticus have shipped, so I am looking forward to it with anticipation. Zach has been a joy to deal with. Friendly, courteous and a master craftsman in headphone tuning.

Secondly, I'll be going along to this meet on Sunday. I will get a chance to hear both the active and passive KEF LS50, the latter being driven by the new AudioGd Master 10 integrated amp. The Master 10 is a monster. I like to see how it sounds compared to my Ragnarok.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...sunday-10th-september-2017-kef-ls50-wireless/

Hey UT...I think you'll be very pleased with the ZMFs and Euforia - the Eikon sure sounded good at CanJam London, fed by Euforia. Beautifully made... just a tad on the heavy side for me...

ENJOY!!...
Lastly if you hadn't noticed, Euforia has been noticed from 'that' other forum. Initial impression from gbeast is very positive but we do know that all along right? :wink::yum:

Well well...that's a pleasant surprise. Am so glad for Feliks-Audio...and yes indeed, well deserved lol! :darthsmile:...

Sep 5, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #812 of 1,113
Greeting @hypnos1 . All good things must come to an end. That applies to my postings here. I've cut down almost completely, partly due to work and also I'm just quietly enjoying my music. :)

Trust you are keeping well and I can see you are indeed enjoying your setup tremendously.

When I was looking to buy the Eikon and Atticus, Zach of ZMF Headphones told me that Feliks Audio gave him a Euforia and he told me that it sounded great with both of those headphones, particularly Atticus. Told me also that it will sound great with Ragnarok. At the Can Jam 2017, which you attended, Aornic was there too and gave his impressions here on this thread, together with pictures. Generally the headphones were very well received together with Euforia and even Elise. I'm not surprised. I'm indeed waiting to hear them with great anticipation.

Currently, I mainly use Audeze LCD-2f and occasionally HD800. I've grown to love the tone of LCD-2f. It's lush and inviting and has that deep bass draw which I love now. Swapping to HD800, it become bass light lol. However I still love HD800 for classical.

Which brings me to my pet love now. My Rega RP8 turntable with Apheta moving coil cartridge and Avid Pellar phono preamp is only a week old but I'm using it more than Yggdrasil. It's an amazing analogue setup and the dynamics, details, clarity and PRAT are outstanding. In the last week alone, I must have bought 40 more new records. I even ordered an Ultrasonic record cleaning machine from Poland and it's not from Lukasz. :wink:

I think I have the best of both worlds now with Euforia and Ragnarok for amplification. Great to have a good tube amp and an equally good solid state. I even bought a Chord Mojo but after a few days with it, it's back in the box. The turntable has just got me totally engrossed. Even Yggdrasil isn't used much these days. :ksc75smile:

I'm fatigued from buying now. I don't need anymore anyway. I have all that I need to enjoy my music now. So I will do just that.

As for Elise and Euforia, they will live on and compete very strongly at their price point and even higher. In my opinion now, you could just get a good turntable and cartridge with Elise or Euforia and a good headphone of your choice and you're set. Or if you are inclined digitally, get a good DAC and you're set too.

I'm not surprised the Feliks Audio amps are getting attention now. They have that wet, liquid tone that is really captivating.

Enjoy your music and take care.

Cheers
UT

A pic of my TT with Richard Strauss.
20170904_063952.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #813 of 1,113
After 2 years, I'm happy now with this setup. Great sound. I couldn't have ask for more. A large bookshelf on the other wall, waiting to be filled with records. This is the end for me. All I will spend on now is more records. :)

20170906_064837.jpg

20170906_070217.jpg

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #814 of 1,113
After 2 years, I'm happy now with this setup. Great sound. I couldn't have ask for more. A large bookshelf on the other wall, waiting to be filled with records. This is the end for me. All I will spend on now is more records. :)

Finally you have come to your senses :dt880smile:

Btw, I decided to keep the Elise, bought a HD 650 and love it to bits. Like it better than the HD 600 now, just needed to get aquainted to it I suppose. No mods, no new tubes, just gonna improve my front end with vinyl until I have a place where loudspeakers can shine. 'This is it' as Michael would have said... for now :)

Keep spinning those records UT!

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #815 of 1,113
Correct Oshipao. Finally put my money where it counts - on a good turntable setup.

Next I need the manufacturer recone my Axis LS88 floor stander. Then a nice Marantz amp and I'll be ready to entertain the neighbours.

Btw I met great vinyl aficionados here on the local forum and have been invited to their place to sample their VPI and LP12. :)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #816 of 1,113
Bought some power tubes from a Russian seller:

upload_2017-9-5_18-44-9.jpeg

upload_2017-9-5_18-48-30.jpeg

The seller thought that these tubes were perhaps made in Germany. With a little detective work and help from Oskari, it was found out that these nameless tubes without any country of origin were made in the GEC factory in Hammersmith, England on Jan and Feb 1966.
First impression: Sound great with great detailed bass and very nice mid range

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #818 of 1,113
Finally you have come to your senses :dt880smile:

Btw, I decided to keep the Elise, bought a HD 650 and love it to bits. Like it better than the HD 600 now, just needed to get aquainted to it I suppose. No mods, no new tubes, just gonna improve my front end with vinyl until I have a place where loudspeakers can shine. 'This is it' as Michael would have said... for now :)

Keep spinning those records UT!

Glad you are keeping Elise. I would have kept mine if I didnt have Euforia.

Glad you finally like hd650 too. It's an acquired taste. If you like hd650, Atticus will probably make you smile more. I am still waiting for the headphones.

You bet I am spinning those LPs. Here's another album.

20170904_193955.jpg

Sep 6, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #819 of 1,113
Hi DL...your head must have been swimming BIG time, after all those cans lol!!...not to mention confusing?!!

As for myself, I still love my T1s...especially now I've upgraded source to the Naim UnitiCore server (etc.) and Hugo2 DAC/Amp...all helped along by the Balanced AC Mains/Filter unit.

These have also taken my mesh plate EL11/12 Spezial combo to new heights, making this indeed my "End game" setup...(or will probably be (??!!), once my UPOCC (single crystal) silver wire arrives from Taiwan - added to some UPOCC copper - and I can make my new 'super' interconnects!! :ksc75smile:...a bit more info on the sound over at the Euforia thread - post #3205 :https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-euforia-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.831743/page-214

Hopefully, I have truly reached "the end"...but 2018 could well bring new horizons lol! :wink:...CHEERS!!

Hey UT...I think you'll be very pleased with the ZMFs and Euforia - the Eikon sure sounded good at CanJam London, fed by Euforia. Beautifully made... just a tad on the heavy side for me...

ENJOY!!...

Well well...that's a pleasant surprise. Am so glad for Feliks-Audio...and yes indeed, well deserved lol! :darthsmile:...

What an accomplishment acquiring and envisioning this setup, it should be your endgame. You too @UntilThen don't want to burn through your money too fast.

Oh also UT take it from me - don't need to waste dough on the LCD-4. I've heard from multiple reputed members and insiders that it's one of the biggest disapointments ever in summit-fi headphones, and not an upgrade in SQ over LCD-2.2.

Mordy, yup that sure looks like an unlabeled GEC 6080. If that's them, they seem picky about synergy of drivers, but are very punchy and clean, yet somewhat bright.

I'm also somewhat preoccupied to post on HF much these days, but have an interesting tidbit for the:
"
wolf-in-sheeps-clothing1.jpg
" thread...
or maybe we shall coin it the 'sheepdog' thread :jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #820 of 1,113
Oh also UT take it from me - don't need to waste dough on the LCD-4. I've heard from multiple reputed members and insiders that it's one of the biggest disapointments ever in summit-fi headphones, and not an upgrade in SQ over LCD-2.2.

Though I've never aspire to owning a LCD-4, I wouldn't go making such a claim unless I've heard LCD-4 myself, in comparison with other headphones. Multiple reputed members and insiders means nothing to me. Depends on who you ask really. There are many who owns LCD-4 and loves it. I wouldn't make such a statement and upset them unless I have a solid reason to do so. It's dangerous to take it as gospel truth what other 'experts' says. Not everyone have the same ears and preference. Not forgetting there's personal bias too.

As I said, I don't feel the need to get $4000 plus headphones. That sort of money is better spend on a pair of speakers. However, I wouldn't judge those who do so. It is their right and their choices and their money. The new range of TOTL headphones all have crazy prices.

I do like how LCD-2f sound right now. I think it's good value for money. I even thought of getting the LCD-3 but after I audition LCD-2f, I told myself that's good enough for my ears. :) However, I will soon be getting the Eikon and Atticus. I am keeping an open mind on these headphones. I will let it burn in, listen to it extensively on both digital and analogue medium. Then I will give my impressions of them as compared to HD800 and LCD-2f. I will not be biased of one over another because they are all my headphones and I'm not sponsored.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #821 of 1,113
Though I've never aspire to owning a LCD-4, I wouldn't go making such a claim unless I've heard LCD-4 myself, in comparison with other headphones. Multiple reputed members and insiders means nothing to me. Depends on who you ask really. There are many who owns LCD-4 and loves it. I wouldn't make such a statement and upset them unless I have a solid reason to do so. It's dangerous to take it as gospel truth what other 'experts' says. Not everyone have the same ears and preference. Not forgetting there's personal bias too.

As I said, I don't feel the need to get $4000 plus headphones. That sort of money is better spend on a pair of speakers. However, I wouldn't judge those who do so. It is their right and their choices and their money. The new range of TOTL headphones all have crazy prices.

I do like how LCD-2f sound right now. I think it's good value for money. I even thought of getting the LCD-3 but after I audition LCD-2f, I told myself that's good enough for my ears. :) However, I will soon be getting the Eikon and Atticus. I am keeping an open mind on these headphones. I will let it burn in, listen to it extensively on both digital and analogue medium. Then I will give my impressions of them as compared to HD800 and LCD-2f. I will not be biased of one over another because they are all my headphones and I'm not sponsored.
Hi UT,

Yes, these tubes are the GEC 6080 and I got them for an unheard of price, no doubt helped by the lack of a factory label and country of manufacture. Pair very nicely with the Fotons. And I totally agree with you that you have to hear things yourself - you can only rely on people that experience have shown to have the same kind of sound perception as yourself when it comes to choose what to buy for yourself.
About speakers I am convinced that there are very satisfying sounding speakers available today that do not cost huge amounts. I hear a lot about the Kef LS50 speakers - didn't you say that you would audition them at the meet?

Sep 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #822 of 1,113
Hi Mordy, yes I'm going to the Sydney Audio Meet at Epping club on Sunday afternoon. They are doing a demonstration of the KEF LS50 wireless and active speakers. They also have the passive KEF LF50 driven by the monster AudioGd 11 integrated amp. Plus cookies. :ksc75smile:

However I'm more looking forward to 2 invites to 2 homes here locally where the analogue speakers setup will make my headphone system pale in comparison. I hope not... :ksc75smile: They have gorgeous turntables, cartridges and phono amp..... plus speakers and more speakers.

Sep 10, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #823 of 1,113
Hi Mordy, yes I'm going to the Sydney Audio Meet at Epping club on Sunday afternoon. They are doing a demonstration of the KEF LS50 wireless and active speakers. They also have the passive KEF LF50 driven by the monster AudioGd 11 integrated amp. Plus cookies. :ksc75smile:

However I'm more looking forward to 2 invites to 2 homes here locally where the analogue speakers setup will make my headphone system pale in comparison. I hope not... :ksc75smile: They have gorgeous turntables, cartridges and phono amp..... plus speakers and more speakers.
Hi UT,

Waiting to hear your impressions from the Sydney meet......

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #824 of 1,113
Hi UT,

Waiting to hear your impressions from the Sydney meet......

Hi Mordy, I did not go to the Sydney KEF LS50 demo meet because I went to another Stereo.net.au member's place instead. He had a Rega P9, stereo SE 6sn7 and 6as7 tube amp and some full range speakers with horns for treble duty. It is an exquisite system for jazz and classical. Even playing 'Brothers In Arms' by Dire Straits sounded amazing. I was very impressed.

Now that means I miss the demonstration of both the active and passive KEF LS50. A shame really as it seems everyone had a great time.

I'll leave you to read the organiser's summary instead.
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...f-ls50-wireless/?tab=comments#comment-3757561

My next frontier is to set up my stereo system in the lounge. I'll be getting a HiFi 4 shelves rack in 20 mins time. This is it. http://classaaudio.com.au/index.php?id_product=312&controller=product
The plan is to have analogue system with turntable in the lounge and digital system (Yggdrasil and Ragnarok) in my study. I'll update when it's done. I'm still debating on whether to use Euforia as a preamp in the lounge or to keep it in the study strictly for headphone duties.

Well, enjoy your music because I am.

Cheers
UT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back