Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jan 22, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #8,791 of 11,460
I already start thinking about tube rolling for future upgrade. I would appreciate any recommendation if anyone here has experience with it. I plan to roll Utopia and Empyrean with it, and I listen to a lot of pop, pop-rock, and soundtrack if that helps. Thank you.
What you will have to do is first enjoy with stock tube. Once you will be accomodated with the amp and the tube sound. Be aware that you will need at least 100 hours on burning. If you do not have yet any tube, don't rush aand be away from this thread.
Next, give a look to better output tube, as suggested direct replacement as GEC or Mullard 6080, ... and then be back and read what can be done ...
I your main goal is to enjoy music keep in mind that you can be happy with stock tubes !

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #8,792 of 11,460
I'm joining the club :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210121_200949.jpg
    IMG_20210121_200949.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #8,795 of 11,460
Verite Closed :)I have auditioned quite a few amplifiers from verite and euphoria is the most fun . I am wondering about a better dac up to $1000.

I have no idea what DAC you have but Chord Qutest is in that price range and it is quite good, of course with a linear power supply near it. Other suggestion might be RME ADI-2 DAC FS, but I never heard it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #8,800 of 11,460
What you will have to do is first enjoy with stock tube. Once you will be accomodated with the amp and the tube sound. Be aware that you will need at least 100 hours on burning. If you do not have yet any tube, don't rush aand be away from this thread.
Next, give a look to better output tube, as suggested direct replacement as GEC or Mullard 6080, ... and then be back and read what can be done ...
I your main goal is to enjoy music keep in mind that you can be happy with stock tubes !
Thank you for the advice, I will stick with stock tubes for a while before I start tube rolling.

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #8,801 of 11,460
I am on Phase 1 of tube-rolling for the Feliks Euforia 20th Anniversary SE, using various tubes without the need of adaptors. While I found the sound of the stock tubes quite enjoyable, I cannot resist trying various tubes (mostly 6SN7) that I have at hand. So far, I got excellent result from the following tubes, all performing better than the stock tubes:

Driver tubes:
VT-231 RCA Grey Glass: lush midrange and very strong bass, though bass definition could be better.
VT-231 Sylvania (6SN7GT) Green Print: outstanding soundstage. I love the warm and very clean midrange and the tight bass--could use a little more punch and volume.
5692 RCA Red Base: sweet, romantic sound with outstanding details and instrument separation--I love these tubes for Jazz! Very strong bass, a bit short on definition
5692 CBS Hytron: great imaging and details leading to ample soundstage; bass is nice and taut. Great tubes for well-recorded classical music and space music.

Power tubes:
Tung-Sol Chatham 5998: Wow! What an upgrade! Improvement in just about all aspects of the sound. I bought these tubes at $100 each. What a good value--I heard Woo Audio is selling these tubes at $450 each. Is that true?

I am more than satisfied with the improvement with the power tubes that I got from the Tung-Sol Chatham 5998. So I think I will stop Phase 1 right here.

I am still not sure I want to go through the more demanding Phase 2: tubes requiring adaptors. Any advice?

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #8,802 of 11,460
I am on Phase 1 of tube-rolling for the Feliks Euforia 20th Anniversary SE, using various tubes without the need of adaptors. While I found the sound of the stock tubes quite enjoyable, I cannot resist trying various tubes (mostly 6SN7) that I have at hand. So far, I got excellent result from the following tubes, all performing better than the stock tubes:

Driver tubes:
VT-231 RCA Grey Glass: lush midrange and very strong bass, though bass definition could be better.
VT-231 Sylvania (6SN7GT) Green Print: outstanding soundstage. I love the warm and very clean midrange and the tight bass--could use a little more punch and volume.
5692 RCA Red Base: sweet, romantic sound with outstanding details and instrument separation--I love these tubes for Jazz! Very strong bass, a bit short on definition
5692 CBS Hytron: great imaging and details leading to ample soundstage; bass is nice and taut. Great tubes for well-recorded classical music and space music.

Power tubes:
Tung-Sol Chatham 5998: Wow! What an upgrade! Improvement in just about all aspects of the sound. I bought these tubes at $100 each. What a good value--I heard Woo Audio is selling these tubes at $450 each. Is that true?

I am more than satisfied with the improvement with the power tubes that I got from the Tung-Sol Chatham 5998. So I think I will stop Phase 1 right here.

I am still not sure I want to go through the more demanding Phase 2: tubes requiring adaptors. Any advice?

I like it!

If I were you I would want to try a pair of Ken Rad 6SN7 drivers and a pair of Raytheons.

Ken Rad...Deep Deep Bass and lots of it.
Raytheon...very even and polite throughout the range, but sometimes, that is just what the doctor ordered.

Enjoy, the FA amp, is a dandy!

:wink:

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #8,803 of 11,460
Power tubes:

Woo is indeed selling Tung Sol 5998's at a premium. I have a set but I'm not sure if the "Chatham" designation is a different tube than what Woo is selling. I'm new to tubes so I'm not even going to try and ferret out the differences. I can say that the set I have do not have the word "Chatham" printed on the base as some images in a search show.

I had the same experience that these provided an immediately noticeable improvement, especially in the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back