Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #8,041 of 11,460
So just now I've been able to crank the volume up a bit without any fatigue, to my surprise. To add to my earlier impressions, I'd like to say that I'm not sure how explain the Euforia. I think as time goes by I'll be able to describe it better, but for now, I think something I can say that people can agree with that is that the Euforia, (using the RCA 6AS7G as powers and RCA 6SN7 as drivers) sounds just.. musical. It's presents a satisfying sound. Just now listening, mids are extending great, and atmosphere is full. It's kind of just about what I expect from the Euforia as I get to know it more, it's a good name for the product.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #8,042 of 11,460
Apr 18, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #8,043 of 11,460
That's awesome that you're diggin' my Euforia Richard! And now any doubts any of us may have had that all my 3rd party even unorthodox tube rolling may have harmed the amp can be brushed under the carpet, because I had indeed taken a good few precautions (using socket savers, staying within the max. current draw, avoiding 6336 tubes, correct adapters, using a small fan when needed, etc.). And just to think Richard you're only using the Euforia v1 and so far only with stock class tubes. It only gets better from here!

Richard will also be able to try many 3rd party tubes with a big stash of unneeded adapters I've just mailed him. Adapters for every type we've used except for GU50 which I hadn't got around to. And @connieflyer is this why you're willing to part with so many tubes because you like those the best?

I also told him he can use the 6L6 adapters for 7581 / A, KT66, KT88, KT150, 6L6, (but KT88 and KT150 are for powers only). And will this adapter also work for KT77 and EL34? I see many people around here loving the Genalex Gold Lion KT66 powers with KT77 drivers (but for that you would need 2 more adapters).
@DecentLevi, not certain what you mean underlined above. I run a quad of KT88's in both power and driver positions on Elise, very compatible and to date my favorite longterm tube set.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #8,044 of 11,460
Generally speaking larger / higher current draw tubes are supposed to be used as powers on the Elise/Euforia such as with the 6AS7 in the back and the 6SN7 in the front. My experience has been that smaller tubes in general work better in the front to essentially tighten up the sound from the power tubes; I've tried larger ones in the front such as EL12, KT66 and EL39 and the sound was always too loose / muddy for me, though I haven't tried the KT88 or 150 yet so your results may be different than expected.

Apr 18, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #8,045 of 11,460
Just had my first tube go on me after two years of tube rolling. Red flashing followed by a load of loud crackling. It was a GU50 to, such a strong looking tube. Like a daft bugger I tried it once more after removing and replacing it but same results again. Luckily having replaced the GU50 with a spare all seems to be fine both with Euforia and my precious HD800's. Still sounds marvelous. 😲😃

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #8,046 of 11,460
Just had my first tube go on me after two years of tube rolling. Red flashing followed by a load of loud crackling. It was a GU50 to, such a strong looking tube. Like a daft bugger I tried it once more after removing and replacing it but same results again. Luckily having replaced the GU50 with a spare all seems to be fine both with Euforia and my precious HD800's. Still sounds marvelous. 😲😃

Hi bt...wow, that is a strange one. Was it brand new? Not one of those used ones I saw on ebay once, I hope! If NOS, most unexpected for a Russian military tube. But hey, this is tubeland...nothing is ever 100% predictable alas! :triportsad:

However, really glad it didn't do any damage. And yes, mon ami, if ever a tube does anything vaguely similar - often blue flashes, or ominous crackling not due to poor/dirty tube connection - bin it straight away lol!! :wink:

ps. If ever you want some more, just PM me...

And glad you could get back to GU50 goodness so quickly...:L3000:...long may it continue...CJ

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #8,047 of 11,460
Hi bt...wow, that is a strange one. Was it brand new? Not one of those used ones I saw on ebay once, I hope! If NOS, most unexpected for a Russian military tube. But hey, this is tubeland...nothing is ever 100% predictable alas! :triportsad:

However, really glad it didn't do any damage. And yes, mon ami, if ever a tube does anything vaguely similar - often blue flashes, or ominous crackling not due to poor/dirty tube connection - bin it straight away lol!! :wink:

ps. If ever you want some more, just PM me...

And glad you could get back to GU50 goodness so quickly...:L3000:...long may it continue...CJ

Thanks H1. No I only bought NOS GU 50's but as you say the unexpected can always happen
I'm down to my last GU 50 spare and have two further Chinese versions at a push. As you say, tube has been dispatched.

Apr 19, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #8,048 of 11,460
Apr 19, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #8,049 of 11,460
GU 50 mate continues, I really liked the KT66 as drivers with the quad of GU50's. Really opened up the sound, have switched after about 50 hours to the Gold Lion KT88 for drivers, and after about 12 hours of combined headphone and pre amp use, these are the keepers for me. Checks all the boxes. 20200419_074750.jpg

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #8,050 of 11,460
Looking good CF and obviously sounding great. I've exchanged my KK66 drivers for GE 7581A's and replaced two of the GU50's on the back row with GE 6550A's. This combination is producing a sound to behold, great depth and placement, strong bass and mids that are making vocals truly outstanding. Need a few hours of classical before labeling this combo my final, plus I've 2 x Tung sol 6550's on the way which are reputed to better the GE's. Wish I could afford a pair of GEC KT88's but they are so expensive even for used tubes.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #8,051 of 11,460
I have a quad I've 7581 and they are next in the rotation with the kt88. I really enjoyed the quad her 7581 it was definitely a great sound. Good luck with your combinations and keep us posted as how things are going

Apr 19, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #8,052 of 11,460
These sound good, but this is a better value, I bought a bunch of these Marconi tubes and liked them better. VT52 is a direct replacement also. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pa...112951&hash=item1a0b812dcd:g:VnkAAOSwiYRarGRd
In this case the ST-shaped EL32's were a better value at $8 less. Myself and most others preferred the original ST-shaped ones for a more organic sound and possibly a sweeter treble, excellent for the likes of classic rock or classical. The straight shaped ones do have their merits, perhaps especially rhythmic focused music. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #8,053 of 11,460
The Marconi VT 52 were straight sided, but sounded better than the EL32, also better were the CV 1952, with your preferred shape

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #8,055 of 11,460
Lukas told .me production has been slowed with this virus had to split shifts plus Easter, I ordered mine a few weeks ago and it is slotted by the end of the month for production why it is not on we site is unknown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back