Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #7,756 of 11,460
Okay Johnnysound, the El 11's did add a new flavor to the amp, quite like it. Using the Mesh plate El11 now, and these smooth out all of the slight misgivings I had with the stock Valvo EL11's. Bass is solid and and treble is extended. Bass is hard hitting and clear. Mid's with orchestrations are to die for. I got these from CJ awhile back and and used them until, you guessed it the flavor of the day. I have to try these out as pre amp outputs, and see how they do. Going to stay here for awhile to be sure. Wow.

Hi Cf....And where in this world (apart from CJ) can I find a pair of these mega-rare, unobtanium Valvo mesh plates ?? (Lol) my comment about the EL11s/KT88s was made almost entirely with Euforia as a preamp driving my tube PA...and this explains our slightly different impressions. My tube amp (currently with KT88s) is a touch warm, and sounds best with a revealing, lively preamp. The extension/refinement of the EL11s combined with the dynamics/bass of the KT88s in Euforia was truly to die for, with “tactile”, almost “physical”, really tight, deep bass plus equally great mids &highs...no edges anywhere. The KT77s are also killer drivers in preamp duties (they rock !)....but I would give the slightest edge to the EL11s...in my system !

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #7,757 of 11,460
Hi @connieflyer and @Johnnysound . Interesting to hear your preference for the EL11 as driver to the KT88...in my own system the quad 88s usurped my previous love child mesh plates by a fair margin. Which just goes to show how different setups can bring different results lol :wink:...(as if we didn't already know! :ksc75smile:). And so it will be very interesting indeed to see how different systems, especially headphones respond to the GU50. Hopefully they will welcome the Russian upstart in a similar way to mine...but time will tell!

Anyway folks, talking of this latest tube I've finally got my video together and hope it's a little interesting/helpful at least. Sorry it ended up over 20 mins long...but y'all know me by now lol!! :beyersmile: So I'll leave you to endure as much as you can...me, I'm off to my bed....g'night all...CJ

Jan 25, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #7,759 of 11,460
Hi @connieflyer and @Johnnysound . Interesting to hear your preference for the EL11 as driver to the KT88...in my own system the quad 88s usurped my previous love child mesh plates by a fair margin. Which just goes to show how different setups can bring different results lol :wink:...(as if we didn't already know! :ksc75smile:). And so it will be very interesting indeed to see how different systems, especially headphones respond to the GU50. Hopefully they will welcome the Russian upstart in a similar way to mine...but time will tell!

Anyway folks, talking of this latest tube I've finally got my video together and hope it's a little interesting/helpful at least. Sorry it ended up over 20 mins long...but y'all know me by now lol!! :beyersmile: So I'll leave you to endure as much as you can...me, I'm off to my bed....g'night all...CJ

Hi H1. Just wanted to say thanks for your time and effort putting together the above very helpful video which even an old ludite like me should be able to follow. Your a star.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #7,760 of 11,460
Well done C.J. looks like you are going to be a You Tube star yet! Your production could use some soothing music in the background and a cup of coffee (with optional shot of scotch) to set a nice relaxed setup, and with the optional bottle of scotch on the bench, just out of sight, if things go wrong, no problem, just down your cup of coffee, and refill from the optional bottle of spirits. Do this several times, until either you understand where you made the mistake, or no longer care that it does not work! Good one my friend!!!!

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #7,762 of 11,460
CJ, what do you think of this combo?

20200125_115353.jpg

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #7,763 of 11,460
H
CJ, what do you think of this combo?

Hi cf...I would imagine that could sound quite special...BUT, of course, not possible in our amps without using a separate heater power supply for at least some of them lol!! :astonished::wink:...(as you know, way over the safe limit for current draw alas :triportsad:). However, with a GU50 (+ separate PS) combined with a KT tube as powers, all would be well using the EL11s as drivers...:ksc75smile: (Doubt the ELs would bring the same magic to the table as GU50 drivers though, but perhaps might just do so according to system...so will be an interesting experiment for you when I finish your own multi-GU50/KT setup lol :smile_phones:).

ps. With the KTs and GU50s running the amp so cool, there's no problem whatsoever re. heat issues using these six tubes, unlike with 'conventional' tubes. The amp's outer case and trafo housing get slightly warmer (via tube radiated heat) but still only minimal. And tube temperature itself is of no real consequence as it's how they have the internal resistors and caps running (heatwise) that is all important, and as with the EL pentodes (triode strapped) the KTs and GU50s run our amps much cooler.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #7,764 of 11,460
It would be over the limit, but doable with a separate transformer for the power tubes. Might be something to pursue. Will decide after I hear GU50's. Might have to order another pair of GU50's to make it look right! Then it would be a compare of your system results with mine. Funny how the sum of all the associated equipment can change what we hear. Any special place I should order a pair of Gu50's, or do you have enough spares?

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #7,765 of 11,460
Do anyone have the Empyreans with Euforia? How do they work together?

Hi malenak.

I personally was in love with the Beyer T1s (v1) driven by Euforia...until I got my Empys! They do indeed match each other extremely well indeed...which isn't too surprising really, given Meze collaborated with Feliks-Audio as part of their development strategy. And I found even further improvement from my DIY silver + copper upgraded cable. The combo also responds well to upgrades in the rest of one's system, along with tubes...CJ

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #7,766 of 11,460
It would be over the limit, but doable with a separate transformer for the power tubes. Might be something to pursue. Will decide after I hear GU50's. Might have to order another pair of GU50's to make it look right! Then it would be a compare of your system results with mine. Funny how the sum of all the associated equipment can change what we hear. Any special place I should order a pair of Gu50's, or do you have enough spares?

Hi cf...I got in enough spares while they're so dirt cheap, and will include a pair + adapters for driver use along with those in the power duo adapter/cradle...then you will indeed be able to compare with my own results (using your reissue KTs as opposed to my GEC TT21s of course! :wink:...CHEERS!

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #7,767 of 11,460
Sounds great looking forward to it. Am going to try the EL 88 power and EL12 SPEZ next to see what that will bring

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #7,768 of 11,460

Just watched you're excellent video CJ, easy to follow, many thanks for your efforts :thumbsup:.

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #7,769 of 11,460
Well done C.J. looks like you are going to be a You Tube star yet! Your production could use some soothing music in the background and a cup of coffee (with optional shot of scotch) to set a nice relaxed setup, and with the optional bottle of scotch on the bench, just out of sight, if things go wrong, no problem, just down your cup of coffee, and refill from the optional bottle of spirits. Do this several times, until either you understand where you made the mistake, or no longer care that it does not work! Good one my friend!!!!

Aha cf...funny you should mention music/coffee/scotch. Had thought about all of those things beforehand (except a nice glass of wine instead of the scotch - sorry! :wink:), along with some fancy video editing, but was too eager to get it uploaded to youtube lol :triportsad:. Would also have had me looking a bit less like a startled rabbit in auto headlamps!!! :astonished:...(so no danger of my becoming a youtube star just yet methinks! :ksc75smile:). Still, I'm glad it was appreciated by all you guys...thanks all...:L3000:

Just watched you're excellent video CJ, easy to follow, many thanks for your efforts :thumbsup:.

Thanks S...just hope you didn't fall asleep half way through lol! :wink:

And now folks...AN AMENDMENT TO THE VIDEO....re. connecting the 12V power supply's DC negative wire to a mains Earthing point. In it I showed connecting a wire to the Earth of the 3 pin mains input plug to the power block...not so good after all, for some strange reason. I found it FAR better going to another mains Earth point - socket or plug - or even the metal feet of my own Euforia, or the outer part (negative) of the RCA pre-amp outs at the back of the amp.

I also recommend not using the plug in connector extension for enabling wire connections, if included with the 12V power supply. It's fine for just a couple of thin wires, but as I suggest using four GU50s so as to enjoy the KT/GU50 power tube duo per channel, plus with possible LED wires, then you will need connectors with larger inputs...like the simple (cheap) ones I also showed. Simply cut off the power block's DC end connector and strip the 2 wires for connecting to the adapters' heater wires, again as mentioned on the video.

Hopefully these are measures that most folks can handle without too much problem...or get a handyman friend to do the honours lol! :L3000: Any queries just let me know...CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back