Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Sep 19, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #6,676 of 11,460
Happy to hear that you were able to save the tube. I would say that if the solder starts to seep out you should discontinue heating the pin - the 30 seconds of heat is just a general guide.
This method is only for crackling and popping noises. For hum and microphonics it may help to stretch tight a band of high temperature self fusing silicone tape (available for automotive and plumbing use) around the glass.
Regarding the tube glow in a tube, it may differ from one tube to other, perhaps because of how the internal components were assembled. If the tubes sound the same I would not worry if one has less glow than the other.
As an aside, I have noticed that pairs of the same tube may show different temperature readings with no discernible effect on the sound.

If I remember correctly the tube was not lightning at all when I tried it last time. So maybe the melting solved a path issue there and now it started to work as expected. I do not hear differences betweend them, I switched left to right just to be sure and seems fine.

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #6,677 of 11,460
If I remember correctly the tube was not lightning at all when I tried it last time. So maybe the melting solved a path issue there and now it started to work as expected. I do not hear differences betweend them, I switched left to right just to be sure and seems fine.

You're very fortunate there with it obviously being just the heater, OH, rather than having to work on all the pins lol! :wink:

I too recently had the same issue with an EL39(!), but the pin reheat only worked for a short time unfortunately. However, after using a fine hacksaw to take off a short piece of the pin (was lucky enough to find the right one of the two straight away!), resoldering with new solder did the trick...thank goodness! :smile_phones:

So this might be an answer for anyone if needed in the future....

ps. If ever trying this method, be sure to grip the tube's base tightly while working, not the glass - especially if the shoulder ('coke bottle') type of tube. The latter's glass certainly can sometimes be surprisingly thin and can break with enough sideways force...think eggs lol! :wink:

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #6,678 of 11,460
Right then guys, despite my renewed appreciation of speakers - especially now my Neotech UP-OCC solid silver and copper-wired cables are burning in nicely, returning to my Empyreans after a few days' absence has reminded me big time of why I have come to love the sound only top flight headphones can really deliver...when partnering an amp such as Euforia, and especially being fortunate enough with my (yes!!) 'end game' tube combo of EL11/EL39/'special' Mazda EL38.

Yes, the large transducers in (good) speakers will churn one's stomach and rattle one's bones in a way headphones never can, of course...however, my current Euforia system delivers a different, but just as thrilling a bass experience. It's as though the ears and brain are able to send a feeling throughout the body as if that large volume of air was hitting like a hammer lol! :) I hadn't fully appreciated that before...a prime example of 'familiarity breeds contempt' and 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' methinks :wink:. Add on the kind of detail separation and positioning etc. that I'm sure Johnnysound is right in saying I'd probably only be able to match with speakers costing multiple thousands of dollars, and I know where my heart will truly stay.
Whatever, I feel as though I've returned to the fold, after having strayed from the path! Mind you, I'm still impressed with my speaker sound and will be trying my hardest to fit in more such listening time...better half permitting!!

I wish you all similar joy from your amp...whether Euforia, or Elise - both truly excellent amps :L3000:.

My comment about the superiority of good cans vs speakers (in terms of ultimate sonic detail accuracy/precision/timbre) was an easy one: if both my humble AT M50LEs (closed back) and Senn HD579 (open), very good “midrange” HPs, sounded waaay better than my speakers under the above parameters, then top notch (and much more expensive) cans like the Empyreans or, say, HD800s, would surely sound infinitely better than any “normal” pair of speakers...

But take it easy, H1 (Lol) and let the Tannoys loose themselves...of all audio components, I have found that speakers are the ones that really need burn in to reach their peak performance. You know, voice coils, crossover components...while different from HPs they will show their own sonic magic around air, space, dynamics and lifelike rendition of the music. It is kind of another dimension of Euforia sound and one certainly worth of experiencing !!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #6,679 of 11,460
I have noticed this burn in with my current speakers. They sounded good out of the box but the longer I have had them, the better they are getting. A friend that had been here when I first was using them, liked them straight away, he recently stopped by, and we spent some time listening to the system and he was very impressed with how m uch better they sounded. I thought I had noticed this as well, but put it down to owner bias. One factor may have been, Anthem recently upgraded their ARC system, and I had just redone the balance system, and I noticed it was much improved, or thought I did. With the purportions of the room, on one end of the cathedral ceiling , not centered the accoustics can suffer if not allowed for. The new ARC does an amazing job, All five measurements are taken right around the main seating, in my case a recliner. So all five micings were within two feet of each other. 20190915_151931.jpg 20190920_074339.jpg 20190920_074412.jpg THIS.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #6,681 of 11,460
I was an flight electronic technician on this aircraft for many years. Best years of my life, other than marriage of course!

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #6,683 of 11,460
My comment about the superiority of good cans vs speakers (in terms of ultimate sonic detail accuracy/precision/timbre) was an easy one: if both my humble AT M50LEs (closed back) and Senn HD579 (open), very good “midrange” HPs, sounded waaay better than my speakers under the above parameters, then top notch (and much more expensive) cans like the Empyreans or, say, HD800s, would surely sound infinitely better than any “normal” pair of speakers...

But take it easy, H1 (Lol) and let the Tannoys loose themselves...of all audio components, I have found that speakers are the ones that really need burn in to reach their peak performance. You know, voice coils, crossover components...while different from HPs they will show their own sonic magic around air, space, dynamics and lifelike rendition of the music. It is kind of another dimension of Euforia sound and one certainly worth of experiencing !!

Yes indeed, on all counts J.

Further to my follow on post re. a second demanding mistress...with even just a few more hours on both the Tannoys and new UP-OCC wired cables, it's fast becoming a case of claws at dawn lol! After trying my stalwart test album - the music score from 'Gladiator', the Tannoys simply blew me away (almost literally, once the incredibly dynamic track 'Battle' came on!!). Then Holst's 'Planets' Suite (hi-res remaster of Boult/LPO masterpiece) had me equally enthralled. But then, of course, both these pieces were intended for large concert hall listening, and the experience is one that headphones simply can't replicate in the same way. But still...vive la difference!

And so with mistress #2 now vying strongly for my undivided attention - aided and abetted by Euforia and my latest (last ever!) tube combo - I'm obviously going to have to make her equal #1...but simply make sure I keep them well apart lol :wink:...

ps. @connieflyer ...your setup must now be truly awesome for film surround especially. I'm rather gutted that I can't position my Tannoys to act as fronts for my own surround system...tragedy!! :triportsad: But at least they can perform surround rear duties:L3000:.

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #6,685 of 11,460
Does the Euforia have a warm up period before optimal use/ sound ? If so - how long? I thought I saw something about this in the preceding thousands of posts...

Hi chrisdrop...glad you're pleased with Euforia already. It gets much better yet lol! :wink:

There seem to be different opinions on warm up periods - new amps definitely take longer, but I never found my Elise or Euforia needed any more than about 5 mins to sound good fairly early on. It will also depend on the particular tubes used, and whether they've been very recently changed. But once the amp has adjusted to the same tubes for a reasonable length of time, I personally have found 'optimal' sound comes in even quicker.

This is, however, different to the length of time needed for burn-in of new tubes. Some can indeed be a bit disappointing for a good many hours before sounding anywhere near their best...and some - especially old 'NOS' - can even hum for a while and then gradually calm down (if not within a day or 2, then it's likely to be a faulty tube and should be returned ASAP, if possible...assuming the pins are shiny clean and the tube seated properly in its socket).

Edit. ps...Re. hum, this is sometimes down to 'microphonics', which can sometimes be remedied by silicon rings or self-amalgamating tape around the tube. But I personally regard a badly microphonic tube as faulty, and if recently purchased would return it forthwith!!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #6,686 of 11,460
Does the Euforia have a warm up period before optimal use/ sound ? If so - how long? I thought I saw something about this in the preceding thousands of posts...
My personal experience has been that once the amp has been burned in, the time needed for optimal performance depends on the tubes you are using. Some tubes may need 30 minutes or so to perform at their best (I am speaking of tubes that are burned in already), others 5-10 minutes.
Burn in period for the amp when new could be 100-150 hours, and for most new tubes 30-50 hours, but some tubes continue to improve long after that.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #6,687 of 11,460
Hey @hypnos1 - thanks much. This Euforia belonged to another HeadFier. The stock "gold" tubes and 2xEL11 + 2xEL39 tubes (that you were also kind enough to comment on the other day, (perhaps even your adapters if I understand correctly?)) have been used tens of hours. They all seem to be functioning correctly, thankfully.

I thought the sound changed across the first few minutes but couldn't tell if it was real or perceived. Sounds like it could have been real. (Not crazy after all).

Thanks again for (and expect more of) some beginner question indulgence.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #6,689 of 11,460
Hi Johnyxound, that is an old myth. It was designed by Me?ly Johnson, And area others. Howard Hughes was the head of American airlines back then and gave them performance needs. It was designed 1937 to 1939 was faster than a JPanese Zero fighter at 375 mph,cruised at 24000 ft. She holds the propeller driven longest cruise at 23 hours 19 minutes 5300 milles had the same wing as a p38 except bigger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back