Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 12, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #6,346 of 11,472
Thanks as always for the explanation, @hypnos1 . Seems a bit less aesthetically pleasing but if the audio performance is superior, that's the bottom line of course. :L3000:

Yo LW. To some, that top anode/wire connection can seem rather 'cumbersome', but having enjoyed superlative performance from any such tube until now, I myself am more than happy with its aesthetic lol! :wink: And I confess to being swayed further in learning to love this (now) unconventional look from seeing such tubes being used in quite sensational DIY projects over the years...such DIYers usually being streets ahead of us mere 'amateurs' lol! :ksc75smile:...CJ

Jul 12, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #6,347 of 11,472
After much listening, the EL 39 as power tube is probably the best I have heard. I did not listen to all my driver tubes, did not see the purpose, at least at this time. All my top line 6SN7's excelled with the El 39. except for the Ken-Rad Vt231's that were a little too much bass, and lacking in the upper ranges. For orchestra based recordings it was just to shifted to the bass. The El32, El52 were quite good but the Vt96 K-R's (6N7) was lacking. Then tried a pair of Valvo EL 11 and there was an improvement. Went back to the EL 11 Valvo mesh plate tubes as drivers, and confirmed to me, that of all the various genres of tubes that I have, these had the magic. It was interesting to hear the various combo's and confirmed for me that the mesh plate tubes have something special. The difference is not huge, over the regular Valvo EL 11's, but there is a noticable difference that once you hear it, the rest are just okay. So good luck trying to find the mesh plates. I still look but have not seen any available, but I am sure that some will appear, but it will be all luck getting them. Would I pay premium over and above the regular Valvo's , absolutely. Once your whole system is done with each component being the best match to each other tubes really do make that last bit to the system as a whole. I was in contact with Upscale Audio about the F-A's Anniversary Euforia, and they have contacted Lukasz to see if they will have it for sale, when it finally comes to market.

Yes indeed cf...I count us both as being extremely fortunate in possessing the impossibly rare mesh-plate, black glass Valvo EL11s. And gold at the end of the rainbow for anyone who's lucky enough to come across some lol ! :L3000: But the standard EL11s, as you say, are not too far behind. As far as I'm concerned - and in my own system - they don't just 'synergise' well with both the EL38 and especially the EL39, theirs is more a 'symbiotic' relationship. And to the point where despite the 39 particularly helping most other drivers shine, I too find that none of my previous star drivers can produce the same kind of magic...full stop! Which is why I gave up backtracking re. drivers a long while ago now...:wink:. But for the real magic, the rest of the system needs to be top notch, with no compromise anywhere in the line.

As for the EL39 itself, each new day and piece of music brings even more admiration for this tube...those guys on the French thread were spot on regarding the merits of this family of power tubes, but had I not found one sitting alone in a (yet another!) box somewhere and curiosity getting the better of me, we may never have known the joys of such a wonderful animal. Aided and abetted by that lucky find of a source for them at an incredibly good price.... I probably wouldn't have explored this tube any further, given their current scarcity and high prices, alas. But for anyone who may want to have backups of this tube, it looks like the other French source I mentioned a while back still has some Philips (only 2 per order though...or just 2 stock?) for 49 Euros each...PM me if interested...CHEERS !...CJ

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #6,348 of 11,472
While waiting for Colin’s adaptors (I expect delivery tomorrow) I did something very useful: about 60 hours of full burn-in (in my power amp) for my quartet of EL-39s. Now this is a “hot” burn, being the tubes pushed much harder as output pentodes in a PA than as triodes in Euforia.

To put things in perspective, the 4 NOS EL39s sounded great out of the box, yes, but not up to the splendid openess and transparency of my (fully burned) quartet of EL38s. The sound was certainly a bit “closed in” in comparison, a bit restricted, and I immediately realized that these tubes needed a LONG burn-in. That’s the “bad” news (LOL). Of course, in triode mode both tubes are more linear and may sound different (better) than as pentodes, but the sound signature is about the same...

The good news are that after more than 60 hours, the EL39s developed gradually into a deeply musical, accurate, involving sound. Detail and depth, dynamics, bass are fantastic, and the tubes opened up to deliver an impressive soundstage...but they are capable of much more, being mine, in my opinion, at about 70% of their full potential !!

This gradual but steady improvement from burn in may be the hallmark of very sturdy tubes, made to last a lifetime, which in fact they are (as I discovered from a french blog). Interesting to learn that the EL39s were strictly pro tubes, designed and specially built for Philips “Cinema” amplifiers (a total production of only 2000 units) and as so are regarded (by the french tube community) as the “holy grail” of audio power pentodes, far above the famous EL37s or legendary EL34s, while belonging to the same family.

The difference (they say) is that the former were designed to be an “easy” load and deliver good sound & high power on guitar and commercial amps, while the 39s (non commercial) were strictly focused on the highest possible sound quality and long term reliability. This expert french builder also said that the “top cap”, was used (of course) to avoid shorts and burning sockets under extreme “cinema” conditions...and made the tube sound better by isolating the high voltage from the low level signals...that makes sense to me.

Anyway, after reading all this I took my flashlight and inspected the tubes innards carefully: no doubt a top flight construction: the round plates are carbon black and look very solid, the oval anode is an oversized EL38 style, and the gold grid is just impressive. Yes, this thing is made to last...and needs to burn properly...

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #6,349 of 11,472
Yummy.
DSC_0160.JPG

Jul 13, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #6,350 of 11,472
While waiting for Colin’s adaptors (I expect delivery tomorrow) I did something very useful: about 60 hours of full burn-in (in my power amp) for my quartet of EL-39s. Now this is a “hot” burn, being the tubes pushed much harder as output pentodes in a PA than as triodes in Euforia.

To put things in perspective, the 4 NOS EL39s sounded great out of the box, yes, but not up to the splendid openess and transparency of my (fully burned) quartet of EL38s. The sound was certainly a bit “closed in” in comparison, a bit restricted, and I immediately realized that these tubes needed a LONG burn-in. That’s the “bad” news (LOL). Of course, in triode mode both tubes are more linear and may sound different (better) than as pentodes, but the sound signature is about the same...

The good news are that after more than 60 hours, the EL39s developed gradually into a deeply musical, accurate, involving sound. Detail and depth, dynamics, bass are fantastic, and the tubes opened up to deliver an impressive soundstage...but they are capable of much more, being mine, in my opinion, at about 70% of their full potential !!

This gradual but steady improvement from burn in may be the hallmark of very sturdy tubes, made to last a lifetime, which in fact they are (as I discovered from a french blog). Interesting to learn that the EL39s were strictly pro tubes, designed and specially built for Philips “Cinema” amplifiers (a total production of only 2000 units) and as so are regarded (by the french tube community) as the “holy grail” of audio power pentodes, far above the famous EL37s or legendary EL34s, while belonging to the same family.

The difference (they say) is that the former were designed to be an “easy” load and deliver good sound & high power on guitar and commercial amps, while the 39s (non commercial) were strictly focused on the highest possible sound quality and long term reliability. This expert french builder also said that the “top cap”, was used (of course) to avoid shorts and burning sockets under extreme “cinema” conditions...and made the tube sound better by isolating the high voltage from the low level signals...that makes sense to me.

Anyway, after reading all this I took my flashlight and inspected the tubes innards carefully: no doubt a top flight construction: the round plates are carbon black and look very solid, the oval anode is an oversized EL38 style, and the gold grid is just impressive. Yes, this thing is made to last...and needs to burn properly...

Yes indeed Juan, these 39s continue to improve over a longer period even than the EL38! And am glad they're doing wonders as powers in your speaker amp. As you say, I'm sure the more linear response when triode-strapped as in our hp amps makes for an even better sound lol :wink::ksc75smile:

Those French bloggers were certainly right on the ball re. this tube. When I read that an obviously 'top' man rated the 39 (the later silver-banded 'PRO', gold grid version) over the 37 my interest was really piqued, and even more so when he was scathing about the excellent (in our amps at least) EL38!...the rest is history...:)

ps. He was also scathing about the even earlier 39 version (with the red skirt), which does indeed look just like the inferior 4654, and so to be avoided at all costs lol! Interesting also that you mention a 2000 tube limited production for the PRO (Gold) version...no wonder they're scarce and pricey, especially if NOS!...CHEERS!...CJ

Jul 15, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #6,352 of 11,472
Hey @LoryWiv I just wanted to say I hope our recent posts on the Elise vs. Euforia didn't put you off too much to give up around here. I do believe your Elise should have potential to do quite well especially since it's the 2018 version, and some have even had a preference for it.

Also @Dobrescu George I noticed you on the thread for the new planar headphones Rad-0 from Rosson Audio and saw you have the Euforia amp listed on your profile but haven't seen you here. Feel free to browse recent pages of this thread to keep current on recommended tubes or happenings.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #6,353 of 11,472
Hey @LoryWiv I just wanted to say I hope our recent posts on the Elise vs. Euforia didn't put you off too much to give up around here. I do believe your Elise should have potential to do quite well especially since it's the 2018 version, and some have even had a preference for it..

No, I won't succumb to upgraditis any time soon, especially as I'm still getting to know Elise. I actually heard both Elise and Euforia side by side at last month's CanJam SoCal (Upscale Audio booth), and didn't find enough difference to justify the additional spend. Indeed, I found the synergy with Auteur to perhaps even be better (touch more warmth added to this fairly neutral headphone). Admittedly show conditions are less than ideal to form meaningful impressions, but there is such a robust pathway to explore different tubes, other "tweaks" which may or may not lead eventually to eventually lead to Euforia. I do have an upgraded power cable on the way (Cullen Cables Crossover) but after that I'm just intent on enjoying the journey and the music. Also, my wallet needs a good rest. :dt880smile:

Thanks, @DecentLevi !

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #6,354 of 11,472
Another newbie question: Is there any downside to running a small fan to drop the heat output from my Elise? What I am really asking is if the tubes are externally cooled a bit does it affect their sonic characteristics. I know they are intended to run warm, but have kids with curious little fingers occasionally in the house...

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #6,355 of 11,472
Another newbie question: Is there any downside to running a small fan to drop the heat output from my Elise? What I am really asking is if the tubes are externally cooled a bit does it affect their sonic characteristics. I know they are intended to run warm, but have kids with curious little fingers occasionally in the house...
The kids will touch it....once...

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #6,356 of 11,472
But to answer question, the amp sounds best at operating temps.

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #6,357 of 11,472
So no fan...perhaps I'll leave if off when I'm at desk listening, then turn it on when I get up to expedite cool down. Solid plan?

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #6,358 of 11,472
I've used a small fan pointed towards the tubes for at least a year, mostly because I'm using an externally heated 6x power tube setup which cumulatively gets hotter, recommended by a former member of these forums @mordy . To my knowledge neither him or me have ever experienced any sonic difference with the fan. Mostly I just use it for hotter running tubes like 6080, 6AS7G and 6BL7 in hopes this will help them last longer. They're likely operating at normal heat but can get so hot it makes me wonder if they will burn out too fast. Probably I could use a thermometer gun to confirm the temperature is OK, but for now I'm just using the fan on those as a precaution. Mostly these days though I've been running EL32, EL39 and EL11's which run a lot cooler anyway.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #6,359 of 11,472
So no fan...perhaps I'll leave if off when I'm at desk listening, then turn it on when I get up to expedite cool down. Solid plan?

Hey LW...even with a fan running, those power tubes - but less so with the EL family (themselves still quite hot though, even if amp is cool!) - will probably still be extremely hot to touch. I'm afraid the only really safe option IMHO, if little fingers get there behind your back, is to either 'cage' them somehow (er, tubes, that is lol?!! :wink:), or place out of their reach....GOOD LUCK!...CJ

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #6,360 of 11,472
Understood, Cage free children with all digits intact is my strong preference as well. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back