Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jan 24, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #5,446 of 11,460
Hello h, glad to see that things are working out so well with the Dario tubes. And very excited for you to find that just one work so well oh, and since that's the truth, just send the extras my way! These tubes are some of the most interesting ones that I've ever had. They just seem to keep getting better over time and I could not be happier with a set of tubes. Hope you are feeling well, and continue to have good fortune with those tubes. I am sure that you will and I'm so glad that you are listening to me about the advisability of one tube or another! For those of you that don't know, I'm just joking on that last part! h is the king, I am but a lowly vassal doing my part to keep the kingdom up and running!

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #5,447 of 11,460
I first discovered that it was in fact possible - against all accepted wisdom - to 'mix and match' tubes even strictly from different families so that the 'whole is better than the sum of the parts', way back in Elise days...ie. the FDD20 with the ECC31:jecklinsmile:, and which worked for most folks (the ECC31 being rather heavy in the bass department!!).

Hello H1...

I loved the “weird but wonderful” FDD20/ECC31 combo. I never heard better. Liked it with 6H13C as powers and then, the world caught fire, with the use of extrrnally heated 6x 6BL7’s.

Today, I am personally, not very hot on EL38 as drivers, but do love them as power tubes. The EL8 as drivers and EL38 as powers is an extremely impressive combination.

I highly recommend this set of tubes to all, in here, who employ high impedance headphons in thier sonic adventures.

Cheers....

:)

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #5,448 of 11,460
Hi @JazzVinyl .

Yep, the '20/31' driver combo certainly had a certain 'something' that one either loved or hated lol!! And, of course, the need for an external 12V heater supply didn't help matters alas. But which did show IMHO that unconventional ideas can sometimes work extremely well, even if not for everyone!

The moral of the tale - as with the latest EL38 tubes - is that each individual can only really know what suits him/her best by personal trial and error...perhaps guided by majority findings - the latter especially useful for those who don't want to go too far down that rabbit hole lol! :wink:

I would, however, stress at this juncture that Euforia is quite a different animal to Elise, which will therefore definitely affect final outcome depending on the rest of one's system, not only different tubes used...:smile_phones:.

But at the end of the day, whatever brings a music lover his/her best enjoyment - regardless of equipment used and cost, is all that really matters... so folks...ENJOY!!...CJ

Jan 25, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #5,449 of 11,460
I found this to be true as well. The E euphoria is a much more resolving amplifier. And being that it is such, the results are different as well with the use of the different tube combinations. I'm trying one balloon tube as power and the other three the clear e l 38 this morning. Don't have a lot of time have a doctor's appointment but wanted to try it. I made sure to glue down all the caps and the tube to the base so that should be good. So far it sounds good but have to do a lot more listening before making my final decision on what I like

Jan 25, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #5,450 of 11,460
Jan 25, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #5,451 of 11,460
Have been looking to replace a couple of power cords and thought I would check out some boutique cables. At this price it must be good, I needed 3 of them, so at least they offer free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-D...203KN80SAT6&psc=1&refRID=XCY3X42XX203KN80SAT6
Hi CF,
Sounds like a good idea, but since the 20A version costs the same I can't decide which ones to get. Another point that makes me hesitate is the absence of customer reviews.
Maybe just splurge on a pair of Swedish 6SN7 variants made for artillery equipment:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pa...h=item4b5b34e735:g:jHgAAOSwLeFcP7s-:rk:8:pf:0
s-l1600.jpg

Hmmmm-you would think that they would clean the pins for that price....

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #5,452 of 11,460
I suppose they would clean the pins for another $1,000 or so! It's amazing what they asked for some of these things, it would be even more amazing if anybody actually pays those prices and if they do I have some swamp land to sell them

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #5,453 of 11,460
I wonder if they actually meant to type $40.00 :darthsmile:

Jan 25, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #5,454 of 11,460
I suppose they would clean the pins for another $1,000 or so! It's amazing what they asked for some of these things, it would be even more amazing if anybody actually pays those prices and if they do I have some swamp land to sell them
Hi CF,
People actually pay these kind of prices. Here is a similar Swedish pair that went for $3000.00 (+shipping!).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/33S30-TUBE...104399?hash=item3b0ee7370f:g:PcIAAOSwvYZZmEyj
Should have snapped up some when I grew up in Sweden, but then I did not know anything about tubes except that we had an old Blaupunkt tube table radio that did not work - went into the garbage.....

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5,455 of 11,460
Well, just switched the position of the tubes again. I had been trying one balloon tube in the Power slot and the other three El 38 clear. It did give it a little more bass, but the overall sound was not as satisfying as running the balloon tubes in the Driver slots and El38 clear in the Power slots. It was worth the experiment, but H's equipment and mine are a little different, and of course individual preferences come in to play. His tube compliment was also different so the fact the my results and H's differing, just goes to show, you have to try different things to find what you prefer. I am very happy with the balloon tubes and El 38 clear together. Just the right amount of everything. Although, I still have not found the setting where it will take a frozen dinner out, and microwave it for my dinner yet. I don't think that is to much to ask!

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #5,457 of 11,460
Some 40-50 hours of “hard” burn in for the quartet of EL38s (as power pentodes) and I can say that these are big, bold, powerful tubes capable of “rock concert” levels and explosive dynamics without a hint of strain...impressive. I don’t care about their power ratings: they sound every bit as powerful (with better definition) as the KT150s, the most powerful pentodes available. But, frankly, we can’t compare current production tubes with early fifties power Mullards: the EL38s belong to another universe in terms of transparency and musical expression, with a “classic”, warm, big tube sound that feels unlimited in its extension. So extended that they will show what your power amp is capable of. Bass is ultra deep and full of impact, room filling and even startling at times, strong yet always musical, mids are sweet and natural, and highs just soar, sounding airy, and detached like a separate entity. There is no blur or confusion here,

I feel that my new, DIY pure silver ICs (“Johnny’s Lightning”, LOL) used for this test may have” drier” bass and sparkling highs compared to copper cables, but these are only my first impressions. Anyway, the EL38s are not “easy” power tubes to drive (as any thoroughbred) since they deliver a torrent of sound (specially in the bass) that must be controlled by the right drivers. In my power amp, I settled for the Brimars CV4004 box plates as pre tubes (some of the best you can find) because of their neutrality and control, and still rolling some 12AT7 drivers (phase inverters) to see if they are able to properly control the quartet of wild horses. If the drivers are warm, you will get a LOT of warmth, and if they are bass heavy, forget about it. Best results so far in terms of accuracy was with Siemens tubes, with that very neutral, precise , “German” sound (that the EL38s reproduced faithfully) but in musical terms, the Brimars 13D9 (6060) or the E180CC Miniwatt Darios sounded so sweet, “classic” and beautiful with the EL38s that you can simply enjoy the music...

Hi J...good to hear you're still impressed with the EL38s in your power amp. I can't begin to imagine just how powerful they sound as unbridled pentodes!! :wink:...no wonder they then need more 'delicate' drivers lol...:dt880smile:.

Fortunately, triode-strapped (with half the power therefore) and not pushed so hard in our amps means most of us can enjoy their qualities as drivers also to their prowess as powers...depending on the rest of the system and ears, of course!! :ksc75smile:.

Having been so used to a 'lighter' sound for so long - especially via headphones - I must admit it has taken me a while to fall in love with the really 'big' sound these tubes deliver, but no way could I go back now. And it's not only the incredible bass that has converted me...those fluid mids are so seductive - especially for voice...male and female. Plus, to achieve this without impinging on the treble is IMHO a rare feat indeed...and one that no other tube I've used in my own system(s) the past five years comes anywhere near.

So I really look forward to how you find them in your Euforia...is it likely to be fairly soon, J?...hope so lol!

And as for your pure silver cables, I personally would be very surprised - nay dismayed! - if you didn't notice such changes. I myself have always found the improvements you mentioned, along with others...especially once they too have 'burned in'. And they go up yet another notch when using mono-crystal solid OCC silver wire...especially IMO when combined with solid OCC copper lol :ksc75smile: (but long runs do then start emptying the wallet big time, alas!)....CHEERS!...CJ

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #5,458 of 11,460
Well, just switched the position of the tubes again. I had been trying one balloon tube in the Power slot and the other three El 38 clear. It did give it a little more bass, but the overall sound was not as satisfying as running the balloon tubes in the Driver slots and El38 clear in the Power slots. It was worth the experiment, but H's equipment and mine are a little different, and of course individual preferences come in to play. His tube compliment was also different so the fact the my results and H's differing, just goes to show, you have to try different things to find what you prefer. I am very happy with the balloon tubes and El 38 clear together. Just the right amount of everything. Although, I still have not found the setting where it will take a frozen dinner out, and microwave it for my dinner yet. I don't think that is to much to ask!

Hi cf.

I did suspect that the balloon might just be a bit too powerful in the bass as a power tube with 38s as drivers. In my own case, the slightly brighter Darios do indeed make for a different outcome, and my one NOS Philips partnering 3 Darios does look like the answer to the latters' 'edginess' I mentioned previously. Its extra bass is in fact still more noticeable, but fortunately is not too OTT now, with further burn-in of both tube and new wires. And their slightly greater mids even than the 'clears' not only soften the treble a tad, but bring an extra quality to voices especially...very enticing lol! :L3000:. So now it should be very interesting indeed to see what two balloons sound like as powers...just hope my T1's drivers can take it lol!!! :wink:...(not to mention my eardrums!! :dt880smile:).

My only regret is that these earlier 'balloon' versions are certainly much more temperamental than the later 'pretty' ones, especially if used tubes. They obviously need very gentle treatment indeed, so I shall repeat that if one does manage to find some, be sure to check for background noise that doesn't go after several hours and 2 to 3 on/offs. If it persists, return them as faulty straight away! And once satisfied they're OK...glue down the top caps and bases to tube glass! Then, keep fingers crossed they stay trouble-free lol! :wink:. The gamble will most certainly be worthwhile...:ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Jan 26, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #5,459 of 11,460
With the El38 clears as drivers,it was just a bit to much bass, going back to balloons as drivers and el38's as powers, sounds much better. And I did make sure to glue everything down, good advice, as I forgot to do that with mine, things sounded so good, you have a tendency to "overlook" things!

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #5,460 of 11,460
Hi @connieflyer , and anyone else who might be interested in scarce wonders lol :wink:.

With fully adapted Philips 'balloon' EL38 #2 now accompanying the 1st as powers, driven by 2x Dario 38s, once again I'm somewhat confounded by the behaviour of this family of tubes.

Given the extra bass that just one as power brought to the table, I was fully expecting that 2 would be far too heavy at the bottom end....wrong again! Even before proper burn-in, if anything, my love affair with bass has grown even further...I simply cannot believe what's now coming out of my T1s (with drivers still intact lol!! :ksc75smile:). Its depth, detail, range, texture and solidity are just taking my breath away. And, as I mentioned last time, mids are even more present...now enhancing instruments like piano, cello, alto flute as well as voice. And no hint of masking upper mids or treble detail. The opposite in fact...helping to soften any vocal sibilance, and as an antidote to harshness in some recordings.

However, cf, I can fully understand how they could be rather overwhelming (as powers) in different systems. I'm quite sure that my own results come courtesy not only of the brighter Darios as drivers, but probably more so my mono-crystal OCC silver and copper wires throughout the system... plus the removal of most poorer quality connectors. Whatever, this just proves how certain tubes will behave differently according to individual systems. Trial and error is always the order of the day, no?! :L3000:....

So a quick (dark!) photo of my latest 'end game' tube complement...

P1020071.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back