Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jan 19, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #5,401 of 11,460
Hi @ZRW0 . Good to hear from you again...but not so good re. your troubles lol!!

That USB issue with Hugo2 doesn't sound very clever at all...shouldn't really happen with something at that price :triportsad:. I personally only ever use coaxial digital...no USB for me lol!! :wink:
But I confess to being somewhat intrigued by your findings re. its soundstage. In my system at least - and with modded T1s - it is truly the most amazing 3-dimensional stage I have ever heard...full stop!...strange...:thinking:. However, I'm glad you've found something you're happier with...and that's a fantastic warranty (10 yrs)!!!
ps. Did you try contacting Chord direct in the UK? They're usually very helpful indeed...

Sorry too you have a humming EL38. Was it new? If so...send it back!! (Not the adapter, I presume...). I may well have a NOS CV450 and NOS EL38 to spare, if you're interested...just PM me...

Although Wim de Rotte of electrontubes.nl doesn't seem to have any more of the old 'balloon' Philips tubes left (I snaffled 'em!), it looks like he still has a new (Philips, ie. Mullard) later EL38 at 30 Euros and 2 or 3 used 38s at 15 Euros each. The used Philips balloon that arrived today looks almost like new, and tested at 80mA (89mA being 100%)...which is indeed therefore hardly used. A snip also at 15 Euros...so hopefully the used tubes I mentioned are pretty well just as good (he will send photos and test results)...email him at electronenbuizen@planet.nl (His shipping and packaging are first class).

Hey @connieflyer ...don't even think about bad weather hindering the passage of those beauties lol! Pray, pray...and pray again for good fortune - to whomsoever will listen!!! :smiling_imp::wink:

Am glad you still love the EL38...and look forward to hearing your verdict on the 'All Blacks' Mullards (but don't forget they too will need some more time on them yet, even though used tubes lol...:gs1000smile:).
But seriously, I too hope they arrive today...which will be pretty darned good, all things considered!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #5,402 of 11,460
CameraZOOM-20190119145857933.jpg
Brilliant find bt...that's got to be the best price around for NOS Mullards...WELL DONE!

Hi hypnos 1. Was wondering if you had come across these United Electron tubes? They sound better to me than the standard Mullard's IMHO. Pity one of them is a little microphonic. Size wise they are larger and have black plates but otherwise not nearly so well made.

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,403 of 11,460
Hi H, not giving up on the Postal Service yet. Just got in from shoveling the snow, have about 3in on the ground and it just keeps coming steadily so no telling how much we're going to get when it's all over. I noticed that I'm getting older took longer and was harder to shovel the snow! Figured if I got the snow off wouldn't have any excuse not to come to the door with the tubes!

Jan 19, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #5,404 of 11,460

Hi hypnos 1. Was wondering if you had come across these United Electron tubes? They sound better to me than the standard Mullard's IMHO. Pity one of them is a little microphonic. Size wise they are larger and have black plates but otherwise not nearly so well made.

Very interesting, bt!

Must admit I know nothing about 'United Electron', but it's fascinating to hear your own verdict on their performance, compared to the 'standard' Mullard EL38 (clear glass).

Those UEs look identical to the 'balloon' Mullards/Philips I've mentioned previously - apart from the black coating of the latter. But they all have the black plates lol! And I too found them to perform slightly better than the later, clear glass versions...which certainly are better constructed. Plus, my 2 Mullards were also very slightly microphonic, but silicone rings (one on each) easily restored perfect silence...(and hopefully still is the case when they reach you in the USA @connieflyer ! :wink:). Indeed, they're not at all far behind the 'All Blacks' Darios soundwise, which have in addition the ceramic insulator posts and gold signal grid wires of the clear glass 38s.

And so another 38 version to look out for!!...WELL DONE!...

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #5,405 of 11,460
Well H, I should be able to tell you if I see any difference in these balloon tubes compared to the pretty ones! Packages have been delivered just now, will have to wait until they warm up in the package so there's no condensation on them. Shouldn't be more than an hour or two. Take care and thank you very much

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #5,406 of 11,460
Well H, I should be able to tell you if I see any difference in these balloon tubes compared to the pretty ones! Packages have been delivered just now, will have to wait until they warm up in the package so there's no condensation on them. Shouldn't be more than an hour or two. Take care and thank you very much

Great news, cf...and good thinking re. letting those tubes warm up indoors before even opening the parcel lol! :ksc75smile:...looks like you're getting some proper Winter weather now!! :triportsad:...(hope your poor ears aren't feeling the cold...they need to be in TOP condition for your assessment duties lol :wink:).

But above all...ENJOY!...that's what it's all about, no?...(Hopefully that's what I can start doing more of, now the analytical scrutiny can be eased back somewhat - it's hard, tiring work!! :L3000:).

Jan 19, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #5,407 of 11,460
Very interesting, bt!

Must admit I know nothing about 'United Electron', but it's fascinating to hear your own verdict on their performance, compared to the 'standard' Mullard EL38 (clear glass).

Those UEs look identical to the 'balloon' Mullards/Philips I've mentioned previously - apart from the black coating of the latter. But they all have the black plates lol! And I too found them to perform slightly better than the later, clear glass versions...which certainly are better constructed. Plus, my 2 Mullards were also very slightly microphonic, but silicone rings (one on each) easily restored perfect silence...(and hopefully still is the case when they reach you in the USA @connieflyer ! :wink:). Indeed, they're not at all far behind the 'All Blacks' Darios soundwise, which have in addition the ceramic insulator posts and gold signal grid wires of the clear glass 38s.

And so another 38 version to look out for!!...WELL DONE!...
Hypnos 1.
Sorry to be a pain but could you direct me to where you purchased silicon rings from in the UK, how many used per tube and what size. If you ever get to Leeds there's a beer waiting for you. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #5,408 of 11,460
Hypnos 1.
Sorry to be a pain but could you direct me to where you purchased silicon rings from in the UK, how many used per tube and what size. If you ever get to Leeds there's a beer waiting for you. Thanks.

Hi bt...no pain, glad to be of help where possible!

Me not being mean(?!), I certainly don't believe in paying over the odds just for a rubber ring to reduce tube vibrations lol! :wink:. So I just hunted down my supply of rubber 'O' gasket rings - surprising how handy they can be! - et voila, my largest (22mm internal diameter) ones fit the bill perfectly...albeit a rather tight fit! Perhaps slightly larger might be a bit easier! And I myself found that just one - at the lower part of the tubes - did the job just fine. Can't remember where I got them I'm afraid, but it would have been some kind of hardware store or motor accessories shop. Hope this gives you some idea at least of what to look for...doesn't need to be some over-priced 'audio' product IMHO!! :ksc75smile:...GOOD LUCK!...CJ

ps Photo of said goodies :

P1020070.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #5,409 of 11,460
Hi bt...no pain, glad to be of help where possible!

Me not being mean(?!), I certainly don't believe in paying over the odds just for a rubber ring to reduce tube vibrations lol! :wink:. So I just hunted down my supply of rubber 'O' gasket rings - surprising how handy they can be! - et voila, my largest (22mm internal diameter) ones fit the bill perfectly...albeit a rather tight fit! Perhaps slightly larger might be a bit easier! And I myself found that just one - at the lower part of the tubes - did the job just fine. Can't remember where I got them I'm afraid, but it would have been some kind of hardware store or motor accessories shop. Hope this gives you some idea at least of what to look for...doesn't need to be some over-priced 'audio' product IMHO!! :ksc75smile:...GOOD LUCK!...CJ

ps Photo of said goodies :

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #5,410 of 11,460
Well after having the new El38 balloon tubes from H, let me say I am impressed. Was thinking that I would have to listen carefully to hear the difference between these and the "pretty" ones. Wrong again, first couple of notes it was obvious, the initial sound was more open, sound stage in larger than the others. First thought was perhaps I should duck tape the phones on my head to make sure they would not extend off my head. Diana Krall, Alison Krauss, Yanni, Cynthia Jordan both in 44.1 16 bit and HD flac. Very nice indeed. Then put on some Amber Rubarth, the HD recording binaural of Sessions from the 17th Ward, these are some amazing recordings. I will give you a youtube link not HD but should present an idea of what I am hearing if you like it, her whole album is listed there. The individual sounds in the sound stage is extremely good. Another remarkably sound is from 2 Cellos, the interplay of the instruments is a great sound . Well, have to get back to the music. If you have a chance to pick up the balloons tubes well worth the effort.

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #5,411 of 11,460
Forgot the pictures, daaa.
20190119_130133.jpg
20190119_130150.jpg

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #5,412 of 11,460
Hi Connieflyer.

I notice your using the pair of balloon tubes as drivers, I have mine as powers. Wondering what your reasoning was?

Jan 19, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #5,413 of 11,460
Well, as I have found with the EL 38's in general, the differ more than normal. H told me that these were better performers than the "pretty" ones, and I figured if so, then my reasoning is that "usually" the driver may have more effect on the sound than the power tube. I will try them in the power slot later and see if it is so. H told me to try it both ways and see what I thought, so he must have heard something as well. Won't know until I try them in powers, but these seem more resolving and a wider more comprehensive sound stage than the other el38's I have. And these may not be burned in all the way yet. Don't know how many hours he has in them, but he mentioned that as well, so am comparing this to the El38's that I have with over a hundred hours on them. If you get a chance, try them as drivers and see what you think, and let us know. Everyone's equipment is different not to mention ears! So it would be nice to see what you think on these in comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #5,414 of 11,460
Well, as I have found with the EL 38's in general, the differ more than normal. H told me that these were better performers than the "pretty" ones, and I figured if so, then my reasoning is that "usually" the driver may have more effect on the sound than the power tube. I will try them in the power slot later and see if it is so. H told me to try it both ways and see what I thought, so he must have heard something as well. Won't know until I try them in powers, but these seem more resolving and a wider more comprehensive sound stage than the other el38's I have. And these may not be burned in all the way yet. They were NOS when H got them, don't know how many hours he has in them, but he mentioned that as well, so am comparing this to the El38's that I have with over a hundred hours on them. If you get a chance, try them as drivers and see what you think, and let us know. Everyone's equipment is different not to mention ears! So it would be nice to see what you think on these in comparison.
Thanks for your comprehensive reply. My balloon tubes are also nos with the power tubes being well used. Like you I will try them as both driver and power. At the moment I believe I'm hearing a slight improvement in th mid-tone and as you say the soundstage. One of the balloon tubes is noisy so I need to work on that.

Jan 19, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #5,415 of 11,460
Hi @connieflyer ...glad to hear the tubes arrived safe and sound, and that you're liking them already. And as usual, they can only get better with more hours on them yet, so get ready for an interesting ride methinks lol :L3000:. Your - and @barontan2418 's findings match my own, and I'm sure other differences will show themselves soon (bit it's not obligatory lol!! :wink:).

But I can say that 4 of these earlier EL38 versions bring even more obvious 'extras'...so keep looking!! And while on the subject, with more hours on my Darios I have to say that these might not be the best of the bunch for overly bright systems - they have quite a bit more treble 'energy' than the others, and don't take kindly to recordings that are less than sympathetic in the treble department!! Mind you, this could change a bit more yet, given these 38s can be awful teasers sometimes before maturing properly lol. So stay tuned!...But having said that, the added 'sparkle' does bring another dimension to well engineered material - particularly large classical pieces, and especially in combination with other aspects of these particular tubes...:smile_phones:. So on balance, I still place them at #1 on the list!...

Time for zzzzzzzzzz, so g'night all....ENJOY!...CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back