Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #4,936 of 11,472
Sad but true, never had a cat, but know plenty of folks who do, for me, it was always dogs. We could not have children (probably a good thing for the world!) but always had dogs. The last one, Connor was with us for 12 years, the last two, just him and me. So that was family to me. But each to his own. Now that is one beautiful setup! Everything in balance and well proportioned! And all in my favorite color, tubes!

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #4,937 of 11,472
Sad but true, never had a cat, but know plenty of folks who do, for me, it was always dogs. We could not have children (probably a good thing for the world!) but always had dogs. The last one, Connor was with us for 12 years, the last two, just him and me. So that was family to me. But each to his own. Now that is one beautiful setup! Everything in balance and well proportioned! And all in my favorite color, tubes!

Hi cf. It was indeed doubly sad that you should also lose your best friend, Connor...very remiss of you, mon ami!! :wink:...(A hamster next time perhaps lol?! :ksc75smile:).

"Everything in balance and well proportioned"...a perfect description of what I'm now hearing! :gs1000smile:. And to be so after just a couple of days is especially gratifying, if somewhat surprising! Methinks whoever said the "EL37 must be the best tube Mullard ever made" should have included this EL38...particularly as they look almost identical. But perhaps the anode top cap put him off trying it lol!! However, just as this feature - for me - had the EL12 Spezial outperforming the standard EL12, so I like to think the same could well hold true for the 38...mistaken or not lol!!:)
And by implication therefore, possibly take it above the mighty EL34 even...nice thought...:L3000: (At least the EL38 certainly looks far nicer...and much more impressive in construction!).

So this could well bring a real end to my tube searching (?)...at least I (and probably others) certainly hope so!! :wink:

ps. Even with 2x 38s now in the power seat, Euforia gets hardly even slightly warm after 10 hrs continuous playing...so a long-lived amp, as well as tubes, should be another very welcome bonus...:) :)

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #4,938 of 11,472
OK guys...time for another update...yes, on upgraded fuses I'm afraid!

Having thought I was deluding myself re. my previous statements (with healthy scepticism trying to muscle in), another 24 hrs' burn-in (via my surround receiver, not Euforia, of course lol!) of the 13A 'Hi-Fi Tuning' mains cable fuse has shown promise indeed on many of my test tracks...depending upon the quality of their recording, naturally.

After the most noticeable difference initially - ie. bass notes having greater solidity and impact than ever before - I now realise that there's slight (but still quite noticeable) improvement in ALL the areas that I have previously described my ST CV1052s as having conquered (totally!), so I shan't bore you with repeated details. What I shall say, however, is that the all-encompassing feel is one of a presentation smooooth as honey, but with a tight, rigid control that screams authority, in a way normally reserved for extremely good SS. And thus, there's the beauty of tube amplification, combined with the strengths of solid state...what more can one ask for? :wink::)...

Well, er, actually...a tube to surpass the EL32/CV1052? Despite my recent rejection of the saying 'Never Say Never Again' - and much against my better judgment! - I've spied another possibly interesting tube...and yes, it's yet another of the EL family...the EL38 (I just can't seem to kick my love affair with these pentodes - triode strapped, of course - into touch :triportsad:).

Anyway, even if they don't work OK in Euforia, I shall just mount them and stare at them all day...they're the most beautifully constructed tube I have ever laid eyes upon. And given they're almost identical to the EL37, which many regard as the 'best valve/tube ever made by Mullard', then I'm hoping this may just be another winner....for me, at least, as it has the dreaded anode top cap connection. Tricky for many users, but luckily I've had no such problems with my own adapting. I just hope that Euforia can handle this tube which, luckily, doesn't appear to be quite the powerhouse of the EL37. So if you don't hear from me for a good while, you'll know I've finally managed to blow up my pride and joy....why oh WHY can't I leave well alone lol?!!!...Curiosity, and cat come to mind...

And so, folks, just a few photos of said beauties (nemeses?!)...the military equivalent 'CV450'

Just look at those 4 ceramic post supports; copper grid posts; lovely (and large!) oval anode plate...not to mention the twin 'O' ring getters and gold-plated control grid wire you can't see!...mmmmm....

And these things look even far more impressive in the flesh lol...:k701smile:...CJ

Beautiful tubes, H1 ¡

And guess what ? I read that it is a power pentode with similar overall characteristics as the EL34, same output power, but it is a different tube, being closer to the “family member” KT77 specs. EL38/EL34 adaptors are readily available (nice ones with silver plated wiring). And there is more: the Mullard EL38 is THE favorite power tube for many DIY tube amp builders, that definitely prefer the sound of the EL38 (tighter bass, transparent highs, dynamics) over the EL34s, among them no less than the LEGENDARY Mullard EL34 "double O getter" that costs a fortune...and you can get a quartet of EL 38s (with adaptors) for much less than the price of a single NOS Mullard EL34 ¡¡

Hummmmm... my power amp uses EL34s/KT77s. No need to strap them into triodes. I couldn´t resist, a quartet is coming...between pre and power amps, soon there will be a small army of Mullard tubes there...

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #4,939 of 11,472
Ok H what have you started? How many folks are going to run out and buy bl37 with adapters now? More than one I would think. Thanks again for your work on trying to find the best sound we can get from our tube amplifiers, I can't tell you how much I have appreciated the journey. Hopefully, I did say hopefully these will be the last ones that I have to chase! Yeah right!

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #4,940 of 11,472
@Johnnysound or anyone would you mind to clarify where the EL38 adapters are? After searching on Google & eBay I only found an EL38 to EL34 adapter (Tubemalls seller), which appears to have a 6SN7 slot but not worded that way... not sure to jump in on the EL38 craze yet just throwin the idea around.

Another thing for our ringleader H1: The EL38 does appear (a bit) similar to the EL12 Spez, and I wonder if by chance you could do a head-to-head?

Oh and I've finally solved the mystery... EL3N bested by EL12 by EL34 by EL38... I think it's obvious all we need is an EL tube with a higher number! EL7100 here I come :yum:

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #4,941 of 11,472
Hahaha ! Surely...just wait until H1 cames with an EL1000 or something like that...

The adapters are for my power amp...not for Euforia. As far as I now there are no available adaptors for the EL38 to fit in the Euforia...save for the custom ones being made by H1.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #4,942 of 11,472
Hello,

On my side, after 120h+ burn-in with the quad ST Coated CV1052, the more it goes the more I'm skeptical by the quad combination on the Euforia.
For my usage (headphones AND pre-amp) and for my taste, the CV1052/EL32 are deceiving... as power tubes.

BUT as drivers, ho boy !
They are among the best tubes (if not the best tubes !) I tried on the Euforia (and I've tried many).
After this "endless" burn-in, and once combined with great power tubes (they clearly deserve to be paired with models with good aeration and quite vigorous), the result is just... sublime.
DSC_0062.JPG
I know this combo was already recommended by some of you. And clearly thank you for this recommendation. Despite the long burn-in effort the result has been worth it, definitely.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #4,943 of 11,472
Hey @Johnnysound ...I'm liking what you said about DIYers loving the EL38. And these guys usually know what they're talking about, to be sure lol!! :wink:. And from the way these are sounding already - driven by the wonderful EL32s - I can see why!! Classical/folk/light rock/New Age/choral/acoustic guitar...you name it, this combo (in Euforia) conjures up magic from all of them. And a brief listen to Andreas Vollenweider's 'Caverna Magica' just now truly was 'magical'...mind blowing, even :ksc75smile:. It will be very interesting to hear how they sound compared to your EL34s...but I wonder if they work at different settings? And just wait 'til you see them in the flesh...I still marvel at their construction - way ahead of the EL34 IMHO (or pretty well anything else, I suspect!).

Once again, as with the EL32s, these tubes are deathly silent, even with the vol knob turned right up to max (with no music playing!). And as you mentioned, 'transparency' really does mean that...there is a clarity that can't fail to impress the second you hear it, and surpasses even the EL12 Spezial IMHO (@DecentLevi ...will do a more comprehensive comparo when these tubes are fully burned in, and looks like it won't have to be too long with these beauties). This total lack of obvious distortion could well be down to Euforia running these tubes way below maximum, which appears to be essential in avoiding such gremlins from pentodes. And so although not specifically configured for, I reckon F-A have accidentally provided very fertile ground indeed for these tubes to flourish, not just play lol :).

And as J said, there aren't any adapters available for Euforia alas, DL. Another good reason for me NOT to go looking for any more ELxxxx tubes...unless there's any more masochists like me out there!! Patience, concentration and a very steady hand are needed for this adapting lark...all of which, sadly, have been hit by my brush with Chicken Pox last Xmas. So I can safely say it's very unlikely indeed that my curiosity will once more get the better of me...but boy, am I glad I persevered with this latest tube lol! :L3000:...CHEERS!...and HAPPY LISTENING, whatever tubes are your poison! :o2smile:...CJ

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #4,944 of 11,472
Hi @ZRW0

Congrats on sticking with the burn-in, and finding these EL32 family tubes suiting you as drivers. A shame they don't do it as powers for you, but every system is different of course, as is what we all prefer soundwise. Thankfully, you've already found the power tubes to your liking...and without having to spend years searching lol!!:wink:.

The EL32 is indeed a superlative driver...and for a fraction of the cost of 'top flight' tubes. And I must admit, they are certainly 'manna from Heaven' for the EL38!

So I wish you continued joy from your own Euforia setup...HAPPY LISTENING!...CJ

ps. My own ST CV1052s continued to develop even after 150hrs, but that's asking quite a lot, and still may not provide all that one is looking for lol! :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #4,945 of 11,472
Hey @Johnnysound ...I'm liking what you said about DIYers loving the EL38. And these guys usually know what they're talking about, to be sure lol!! :wink:. And from the way these are sounding already - driven by the wonderful EL32s - I can see why!! Classical/folk/light rock/New Age/choral/acoustic guitar...you name it, this combo (in Euforia) conjures up magic from all of them. And a brief listen to Andreas Vollenweider's 'Caverna Magica' just now truly was 'magical'...mind blowing, even :ksc75smile:. It will be very interesting to hear how they sound compared to your EL34s...but I wonder if they work at different settings? And just wait 'til you see them in the flesh...I still marvel at their construction - way ahead of the EL34 IMHO (or pretty well anything else, I suspect!).

Once again, as with the EL32s, these tubes are deathly silent, even with the vol knob turned right up to max (with no music playing!). And as you mentioned, 'transparency' really does mean that...there is a clarity that can't fail to impress the second you hear it, and surpasses even the EL12 Spezial IMHO (@DecentLevi ...will do a more comprehensive comparo when these tubes are fully burned in, and looks like it won't have to be too long with these beauties). This total lack of obvious distortion could well be down to Euforia running these tubes way below maximum, which appears to be essential in avoiding such gremlins from pentodes. And so although not specifically configured for, I reckon F-A have accidentally provided very fertile ground indeed for these tubes to flourish, not just play lol :).

And as J said, there aren't any adapters available for Euforia alas, DL. Another good reason for me NOT to go looking for any more ELxxxx tubes...unless there's any more masochists like me out there!! Patience, concentration and a very steady hand are needed for this adapting lark...all of which, sadly, have been hit by my brush with Chicken Pox last Xmas. So I can safely say it's very unlikely indeed that my curiosity will once more get the better of me...but boy, am I glad I persevered with this latest tube lol! :L3000:...CHEERS!...and HAPPY LISTENING, whatever tubes are your poison! :o2smile:...CJ

Hi H1,

Yes, I was a little worried since there is no info about the proper bias point for the EL38s, only that it is lower than the EL34....so let’s see if the “Easybias” in my amp is able to nail it...I think it will. However, any info about bias will be warmly welcomed !!

By the DIY people comments, I think that the EL38 will probably be much closer in sonic terms to the KT77 than to the EL34...and this is why they look even more promising. My KT77s (Genalex Gold Lion reissues) are terrific power tubes, maybe not as lush or sweet as the EL34s, but more extended on both ends, and they have such a lovely open, wide, airy presentation that is second to none. And I am talking about the Russian reissues...I can only imagine what the originals can do, because they are so rare and crazily expensive...well, there are some clues that point to the EL38 as Mullard ”take” on their competitors KT77 characteristics, for some very demanding applications...who knows, but it is no doubt a very interesting tube.

And the EL38s just fit in and works in the power slot of the Euforia (with adaptors, of course) thanks to its “autobias” that must be something special. There is no other way that the amp can not only accept, but sound great with so many different tubes.... have read that it works only for the power tubes (??)

By your experience with the EL38s, it is clear that the EL32/CV1052 are no less than reference level drivers in the Euforia, very transparent plus a “natural sinergy” with many power types...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #4,946 of 11,472
Incoming EL38's! I wasn't in dire need, but thought I'd take my chance on these at only $86 for the lot! Does it seem like I did good? I think the seller only checked to make sure the heaters light up.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l17600.jpg

Still overseas, but should be able to figure out some adapters eventually.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #4,947 of 11,472
Reading here about using different power tubes with the cv 1052's as drivers so decided to try a different driver and I must say I am impressed with this setup, will have to try it with other powers.
20181110_214440.jpg
This is with the Gold Aero 5998A tube.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #4,948 of 11,472
Nice find on the El38's DL, looks like you will be set for awhile

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #4,949 of 11,472
I have received my Euforia finally! I bought Mullard 6080 to replace the power tubes while keep the stock PSvane gold tubes
Gosh it sounds much more "filled" and smoother than my Hugo2!

If I want to improve its soundstage and bass, any recommendation on the driver tubes to match with Mullard 6080? The tube shop boss recommended me Sylvania 6SN7GT...

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #4,950 of 11,472
I have received my Euforia finally! I bought Mullard 6080 to replace the power tubes while keep the stock PSvane gold tubes
Gosh it sounds much more "filled" and smoother than my Hugo2!

If I want to improve its soundstage and bass, any recommendation on the driver tubes to match with Mullard 6080? The tube shop boss recommended me Sylvania 6SN7GT...

Hi Skizuki,

From my experience, Sylvania 6SN7GTBs match relatively well with Euforia and 6080s.
Now, if you're especially looking for deep, tight, refined and accurate basses, with many details in mids and trebble without having to wait for weeks of burn-in, I'd strongly recommend Ken-Rad VT231 as drivers (or their cheaper ancestor the Ken-Rad VT99 - VT99 require adapters towards 6SN7 slots).

Although it may not be the best choice to begin with, I would recommend you eventually get hands on the quite cheap CV1052/EL32 tubes too (with here as well the need for corresponding 6SN7 adapters).
These are among the best driver tubes for the Euforia, the ones that will provide you with the more details and the wider soundstage. But they come with the price of a pretty deceiving sound at the beginning and frankly require more than 100h burn-in before providing a "correct" sound. Once this 100h threshold passed, they almost improve at every new usage.

Some people here are also enjoying the solution of quad CV1052 tubes, drivers and powers. I've tried it, but don't recommend CV1052 as power on my side: too weak for demanding headphones and pre-amp usage.

Anyway, whatever your choices, don't forget to be patient, and to let your Euforia and tubes some good time to burn-in (50h minimum).

Have good fun !

Erwan.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back