Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Sep 18, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #3,931 of 11,460
I haven’t heard any of the amps you mention or other amps more expensive amps. I plan to attend a local meet here in Arizona on October 21where I think those amps and other higher dollar amps will be present, but I don’t place much stock in comparisons made at meets.

Unfortunately, I don’t think many Euforia owners have heard the amps you are talking about. Personally, I think most Euforia owners bought either because of previous experience with Elise or because of the many compelling reports of Elise and Euforia owners on HeadFi. I think they were convinced that Euforia offers a lot of value for its price point, but they also probably understood they needed to factor in additional expense that would probably result from tube rolling. Euforia and Elise are fairly unique because of the great variety of tubes that can be used in these amps. That also makes it difficult to compare the FA amps with other amps, because tube combos used in the FA amps can make quite a difference.

In some respects I liken the FA amps to Schiit products which offer true high end performance at a relatively reasonable cost. Unfortunately, FA amps can’t be auditioned with a return privilege.

I don’t have a lot of experience with high end headphone systems. But I was a speaker-based, vinyl sourced audiophile for 35 years during which I owned or heard some of the highest regarded systems of the day. And I can say without qualification that with my current system I have never enjoyed listening to electronically reproduced music more.

Good luck if you decide to take the plunge. Owning an FA amp kind of becomes a way of life. Finding the right tube combos and related gear is an exciting and rewarding experience.
Hi pct,

I seem to remember that you ordered the EL12 Spez made by Tesla. Can you comment on how they sound in comparison to TFK?

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #3,932 of 11,460
Hi pct,

I seem to remember that you ordered the EL12 Spez made by Tesla. Can you comment on how they sound in comparison to TFK?

Mordy. I got them, but they have the EL3N type base, so I'm having to get them configured for Euforia. Will update, but it will probably be a while.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3,934 of 11,460
Is the pinout different than the EL3N?

I don't know, but they sure are beautiful :ksc75smile:

SPEZ1.jpg

SPEZ2.jpg

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #3,937 of 11,460
Unfortunately the pinout is different than the EL3N/EL6 - I am not sure if there is an adapter available to buy at the present. But we could always ask Mrs Xu Ling to make one...

I've turned it over to my higher power - ie someone who knows a lot more than I do and how to deal with stuff like this ))))

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,939 of 11,460
I've turned it over to my higher power - ie someone who knows a lot more than I do and how to deal with stuff like this ))))
OMG! You mean there is a higher power than thine self? blasphemy! Who would have thought that you were not the end-all!

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #3,941 of 11,460
OMG! You mean there is a higher power than thine self? blasphemy! Who would have thought that you were not the end-all!

When it comes to electronic stuff I’m the “end-all” alright. Can't even remember how many things I’ve blown up, taken apart and couldn’t get back together, or just permanently lost.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #3,943 of 11,460
in your time with euforia, which tubes gave you the more holografic, 3D and spacious experience?
I will be in Germany on January, and I will probably order a euforia before the trip. Cheers

Hi Dvdlucena, and welcome to our wonderful fraternity...(as opposed to simply a 'club' or 'thread' lol! :smile_phones:).

Sorry for my tardy response, but as usual, the guys have been chipping in wonderfully with some very good advice and recommendations. I'm afraid my own input is unavoidably much more restricted these days, alas...
Hopefully, you'll be able to find the time to go back over previous posts, where you will find a great deal of even more in-depth info on most aspects of maximising performance from this wonderful amp...along with plenty of more lighthearted input!! :wink:

Re. the subject of your post, having ploughed through a fairly wide range of configured-for tubes, I myself now listen solely via EL11s driving EL12 Spezial powers, and cannot even get myself motivated to occasionally go nostalgic and put in my previous 'Holy Grail' ECC31/GEC A1834 tubes!!... @pctazhp, @DecentLevi and @Johnnysound have given you a good impression of what these (unofficial!) tubes can deliver, and a wonderfully clear, precise, 'clean' 3D/holographic presentation is just one of this combination's amazing virtues. Again, previous posts will give you much more detail as to their qualities....But I shall repeat what I have said many times about these EL tubes...ie. the more you upgrade the rest of the system, the more they up their game.

I personally am reaching the end of what I regard as worthwhile improvements/expenditure(!!), having just upped said game by substituting my pure silver interconnects with the amazing 'UPOCC' single crystal silver and copper wires. But only by saving myself hundreds of pounds by terminating some really nice Neotech cable with my own plugs. I knew this would bring some improvement, but was not prepared for the actual degree that resulted....it wasn't by any means just subtle - it was clear beyond doubt, and luckily, confirmed by two fellow head-fiers at our 'mini-meet' at mine this weekend. They really helped showcase the true potential of not just these tubes, but also, of course, Euforia itself and my Beyer T1s...(helped also by the Naim source and Balanced AC Mains/Filter!).

I realise some of my upgrades may be a bit prohibitive(!), but they do at least confirm Euforia's pedigree and what she is is truly capable of achieving.

For those who might be interested in seeing what I was talking about re. the interconnects, just a couple of photos...

P1000960.JPG

The black-covered cable shows the 3-conductor version meant for XLR, each strand having 3 UPOCC silver wires. The additional red wire to the left is a UPOCC copper that I added for extra measure, and the other 2 another silver and copper for the return...as I wanted to double up everything, given the 'spare' 3rd conductor!!...(but created a pig of a job of course, and possibly not really needed lol!!).

Anyway, many hours and much cursing and swearing later, the end result actually worked (thankfully!)...and far better than I ever anticipated :

P1000962.JPG

However, great sound will still be got from Euforia without having to go to these extremes, and regardless of the actual tubes used.
Hopefully I have at least given a taste of what one can look forward to...if so inclined, and with a wallet (and wife/partner/canine friend) that doesn't bite back lol! :ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...

ps. And hope you bag your own Euforia REAL soon!!! :) :)

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #3,945 of 11,460
The tubes have different pins, one has the traditional straight and the other tube has paddlefoot pins,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back