Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 13, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #3,781 of 11,460
Been a long time since I have heard this!

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3,782 of 11,460
A while back I wrote about the great SQ results I was getting with EL11/12 combo. Yesterday the EL12 spez pair I ordered from Germany arrived much sooner than I expected. I put them in the adapters I already had from Mrs. X, which includes the “octopus” cable for the top connection. I was immediately met with a horrible hum. That was easily solved by touching both adapter cables but that didn’t seem like a viable long term solution!!!

I then put a 5mm ferrite choke I had ordered from Amazon on each adapter cable. That was a little tricky. The chokes came locked without instructions of how to open. After a little effort though I got them open. I had to wrap each adapter cable with some aluminum foil to get a tight fit. That helped with the hum, but it was still completely unacceptable.

Then I remembered from the earlier spez discussion on the Elise thread that the positioning of the headphone cable was important. With a little experimentation, I was able to completely eliminate the hum. Suddenly, there was absolute QUIET, even with Euforia volume cranked up to maximum (without music playing of course). It was like an ancient graveyard in the wee hours of the morning.

This combination, in my system and with my ears, is now my unqualified holy grail for Euforia. It takes Euforia to a level I could not have imagined. Highly, highly resolving, but on good recordings, musical and magical.

This is not a euphonic or colored combo. It will not compensate for bad recordings. To me it is as close to neutral as I have ever heard with Euforia or Elise. I’m sure there are amps that can achieve more, but I can’t imagine what qualities they would add to improve on what I am hearing.

As far as I know, @hypnos1 and I are the only two who are using this combination. And H1, with his dexterity and knowledge, has set up his tubes in a special way. I suspect few others will try this combination. EL11s and EL12s are not for the faint of heart. People have reported buying tubes that were DOA or failed quickly. They all require adapters, and the spez requires a special adapter with the cable. But I am confident anyone who can get to the point I’m at will not be disappointed. In fact, I am sure they would be thrilled. And I have no reason to believe this would also be true with Elise.

This is a picture of my current set up. The medal headphone stand is actually part of the hum solution. If I move it, the hum immediately returns. And if I put HD800S on it, the hum returns.

SPEZ.jpg

Attachments

• SPEZ.jpg
    SPEZ.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #3,783 of 11,460
A while back I wrote about the great SQ results I was getting with EL11/12 combo. Yesterday the EL12 spez pair I ordered from Germany arrived much sooner than I expected. I put them in the adapters I already had from Mrs. X, which includes the “octopus” cable for the top connection. I was immediately met with a horrible hum. That was easily solved by touching both adapter cables but that didn’t seem like a viable long term solution!!!

I then put a 5mm ferrite choke I had ordered from Amazon on each adapter cable. That was a little tricky. The chokes came locked without instructions of how to open. After a little effort though I got them open. I had to wrap each adapter cable with some aluminum foil to get a tight fit. That helped with the hum, but it was still completely unacceptable.

Then I remembered from the earlier spez discussion on the Elise thread that the positioning of the headphone cable was important. With a little experimentation, I was able to completely eliminate the hum. Suddenly, there was absolute QUIET, even with Euforia volume cranked up to maximum (without music playing of course). It was like an ancient graveyard in the wee hours of the morning.

This combination, in my system and with my ears, is now my unqualified holy grail for Euforia. It takes Euforia to a level I could not have imagined. Highly, highly resolving, but on good recordings, musical and magical.

This is not a euphonic or colored combo. It will not compensate for bad recordings. To me it is as close to neutral as I have ever heard with Euforia or Elise. I’m sure there are amps that can achieve more, but I can’t imagine what qualities they would add to improve on what I am hearing.

As far as I know, @hypnos1 and I are the only two who are using this combination. And H1, with his dexterity and knowledge, has set up his tubes in a special way. I suspect few others will try this combination. EL11s and EL12s are not for the faint of heart. People have reported buying tubes that were DOA or failed quickly. They all require adapters, and the spez requires a special adapter with the cable. But I am confident anyone who can get to the point I’m at will not be disappointed. In fact, I am sure they would be thrilled. And I have no reason to believe this would also be true with Elise.

This is a picture of my current set up. The medal headphone stand is actually part of the hum solution. If I move it, the hum immediately returns. And if I put HD800S on it, the hum returns.

Hi pct,
Which brand did u get of the EL12 Spez?

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3,788 of 11,460
Moody, who is this malecontent. That you are discussing tubes with? Sounds like the same person that sends me SPAM!!!!!

Aug 13, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #3,790 of 11,460
Would not be the first time I had a fried spam sandwich! Monty Python was a piece of work. My sister had a New Years. Eve party every year, and the party would pause so we could always watch The search for the Holy Grail , loved the horse less riders and the knight blocking their way !

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #3,791 of 11,460

Hi pct...congrats first of all for rousing me from my slumber (before I return to it shortly lol!), but mostly for being rewarded for your bravery - which fortune favours, of course!...WELL DONE!

I'm so glad you managed to work around that dreaded hum, and that the headphone cable positioning issue helped greatly in this :darthsmile:. It really is such a shame these tubes can be rather 'tricky'...but get it right and yes - as you too have discovered - they can indeed bring wonderful rewards! And things will get even better yet, with a good few more hours on them...not to mention when you get your Gumby!! :wink: As with Euforia herself, these EL tubes just keep upping their game in step with upgrades in the rest of the system...and this even applies to the interconnect cables, as with - for some - the power cables. Having thought my pure (99.9%), soft-annealed silver interconnects couldn't be beaten, a fellow-member's adapted headphone cable using Ultra-Pure OCC (single crystal) silver wire proved otherwise! And so, given the horrendous prices for cables using this material, it's time for some DIY again...when I can get the time, that is - for once I'm grateful for the long wait for some wire and Teflon tubing from Taiwan lol!!! :ksc75smile:

ps. I'm finding that the downside of splashing out on such as my Naim source, Hugo2 DAC/AMP and ASF3000 means other (also expensive!) system element upgrades can bring improvements that otherwise probably wouldn't be noticeable...and further down that rabbit hole we go lol!...(as you yourself have enjoyed(?!!) in the past, but are now wiser(??!!!)...)...CHEERS!...and now, perchance to dream of winning the Lottery...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...BFN

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #3,792 of 11,460
Nice to see the (Master) back again. I too have been experimenting a bit. Not quite like PCT, but adventurous none the less. I made a pot of Spanish Rice, enough for three of four meals, recipe called for Diced tomatoes, looking at the cans in the grocery, I saw the tomatoes with green onions and Habeneros peppers, I figured it might spice it up some, had a plate for dinner, now wish I had only made enough for one meal! Had to run to the store and get ice cream, I am afraid for my old system, on the 'morrow!

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,793 of 11,460
Thanks a lot @hypnos1. I echo @connieflyer. Nice to see the Master back. I am loving the spez, and was trying to be careful not to use OTT language, but it is very special with the EL11 driver. I understand more time is needed. I actually meant to say that but forgot. And yes. I see Gumby as my icing on the cake - final move. This hobby can be a bottomless pit, and I'm just not willing to find out what's at the bottom of that pit!!!

CF: If you ever truly run out of food, don't forget your Gumby has a buritto filter

Aug 13, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #3,794 of 11,460
I want to say a little about my HD800S which I have had for over a year and a half and used extensively with both Elise and Euforia. When I bought it I had a 30-day return privilege and took full advantage of it. I realize it is not the most resolving headphone made, including perhaps the HD800 which I have never heard. I decided to keep it because I felt for me it was highly resolving, yet at the same time performed in a stellar fashion regardless of what genre I threw at it. I have yet to find a genre for which I don't think it is highly suited. Since then I have also found it scaled quite admirably with the different tube combos I have used on my tube-rolling journey that has now come to an end and with my move to Euforia.

I'm a one-headphone guy and I'm confident HD800S will remain with me as long as I have functioning ears and some kind of music receptor left in my brain. In my audiophile days I learned there would always be a "latest and greatest". But looking back I now know that when a truly special product came on the market it would almost invariably stand the test of time - often for decades.

Edit: I should probably also add that I suspect it (and the Classic) is the most comfortable headphone made.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3,795 of 11,460
Quick update on EL12 spez. My setup has stabilized to where I can again put HD800S on medal headphone stand without a hum problem. And SQ continues to improve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back