Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 1, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #3,647 of 11,472
I did buy the e i t r it would not work for me it kept coming up with an error that it could not find the Cmedia device I'm using Windows 64 win 7. I sent it back for refund. I am not the only one that has had this problem you can Google it I would assume. The device I'm looking for is a Dap it's a music player portable and it has coax Optical output as well as headphone output. I would just like to have a source that did not have to be turned on or viewed instead of using the PC I thought I might like to use this device astell & Kern very good manufacturer but I didn't want to spend too much on a device like that either

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #3,648 of 11,472
I did buy the e i t r it would not work for me it kept coming up with an error that it could not find the Cmedia device I'm using Windows 64 win 7. I sent it back for refund. I am not the only one that has had this problem you can Google it I would assume. The device I'm looking for is a Dap it's a music player portable and it has coax Optical output as well as headphone output. I would just like to have a source that did not have to be turned on or viewed instead of using the PC I thought I might like to use this device astell & Kern very good manufacturer but I didn't want to spend too much on a device like that either
Coax and optical aren't the same thing. Coax uses a wire instead of an optical fibre but the protocol they use is the same. I use an X5iii or an X3i outputting over coax into my Bimby sometimes. I believe some people have issues with high-bitrate files with the X5 but I've not had any problems with redbook - but I'll try it again and make sure if you are interested in that route.
The X5 is good because it can access my DLNA server and it has two microSD slots which means it almost never has to access my DLNA server.... I actually use it for internet radio more than anything else (when connected to my Bimby/Elise - and more as a standalone DAP when not).
If you want optical rather than coax, I think one or more of the Opus players can do optical. I don't have any experience of them, but they seem to be highly regarded.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #3,649 of 11,472
I am aware of the coax and Optical are different but both of them are digital signals and can be outputted from the same Jack. The Asus Essence audio card that I'm using has a digital output Jack you can plug in either a digital cable coax into the port or with a small adapter plug you can plug in an optical cable out of the same Jack it's a digital signal that goes down whether it's a wire or glass. But it wasn't just that particular signal that I'm looking for that was a big plus I'm looking for the music server player in particular. I'll look into the X5 and see how that one measures up also have not used a music player except for a Cowan J-3 that still works but has limited functionality compared to what I'm looking for. Thank you

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #3,650 of 11,472
I am aware of the coax and Optical are different but both of them are digital signals and can be outputted from the same Jack. The Asus Essence audio card that I'm using has a digital output Jack you can plug in either a digital cable coax into the port or with a small adapter plug you can plug in an optical cable out of the same Jack it's a digital signal that goes down whether it's a wire or glass. But it wasn't just that particular signal that I'm looking for that was a big plus I'm looking for the music server player in particular. I'll look into the X5 and see how that one measures up also have not used a music player except for a Cowan J-3 that still works but has limited functionality compared to what I'm looking for. Thank you
I thought you did know - I was more protecting myself from ridicule for recommending the X5 if you specifically wanted optical :)

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3,651 of 11,472
No need to protect yourself against ridicule from others. This is a forum of ideas and people have different ideas and they're all worth exploring. I appreciate the fact that you would even answer the thread and I will check into the X5. Myself I am not afraid of ridicule usually that comes from small-minded people and I'm bigger than that. Thank you very much

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,653 of 11,472
Hi H1, The discussion about "sinergy" between DACs and tube amps, specifically the Euforia in this case, promises to be a very interesting one. I admit not having the chance yet to hear a Chord Hugo, but know is regarded among the best in its price range. The FPGA architecture, strictly speaking, means that the decoding algorithm of the DAC is upgradeable via software, which is indeed a very desirable feature. Some of the very best DACs do have this function, pioneered by the great Theta DACs. The Schiit Iggy (as I understand) is a modern descendant of the Theta, but much more relevant than this feature in terms of SQ is the decoding format, (and of course the implementation of the analog output) simplified around the current discussion about delta/sigma (the vast majority) vs. multibit DACs.

And I say simplified, because true multibit DACs were abandoned many years ago by the industry, they were very expensive to manufacture, needing a precise laser trim on hundreds of "ladders", and only recently, audio manufacturers identified a renewed demand for multibit DACs, so they hurriedly implemented specific industrial multibit ICs for audio purposes. Some with great success, like the Iggy. But, how they compare against true multibit DACs, expensive, hand trimmed, made exclusively for audio many years ago, and never made anymore ? Interesting question, and in many ways similar to NOS versus current production tubes. In fact, there is a cult following around pieces like the UltraAnalog 20400A, a multibit module made up to 1990 or so, which is, truly, the GEC of all DACs !! This one was used in the absolute top high end DACs of the time, among them the magnificent Spectral, and their current production at nearly 20k a piece, still uses it, as I understand. Kind of a NOS DAC, if you want. More modestly, my Parasound DAC 2000, 1990 vintage, also have this one, have compared it with quite a few much more modern DACs, and while you can say that this or that one are maybe better in some aspects, none of them even comes close against its utterly analog, un-digital, expansive sound, or its ultradeep, room shaking bass. Now I understand the cult. And this DAC just sings with tubes, as you can imagine. Anyway, this suggests that perhaps all the new technology does not necessarily offer better audio, as the industry want us to believe. And come on, we collect old tubes, so we now that.

Hi J...sorry for the late reply, but at the moment I can't seem to get anywhere near my tail lol!!

Great to see you took the plunge with Euforia...WELL DONE!...as @pctazhp said, you are in for a real treat...especially with your DAC feeding her lol!

Thanks for the encouraging words on your first post...and yes, it is indeed wonderful to see such a small, dedicated family business accomplishing what they have in what must be a rather difficult market! But things might well not have been the same if it weren't for all the wonderful support of the great bunch of fellow enthusiasts here at head-fi...WELL DONE to you too, guys!

And re. the FPGA technology, it certainly would appear the 'coding' and analog implementation are key...Chord's circuit designer Rob Watts breathed quite a sigh at CanJam London when he spoke of the years he's been working on this architecture lol!!

And now that I've given my own Hugo2 the lengthy trialling such gear needs before you can get any really meaninful idea of its performance, it would certainly appear his tribulations have paid dividends...BIG time! I wasn't prepared for such improvements over the already stellar performance from my tube DAC...(which would house many, many, MANY H2s lol!!). But I was even more dumbfounded when I switched from using its HP circuit out as line (from the RCA sockets, though), to 'proper' max line level out. The extra smoothness of delivery, along with even more detail across the entire FR - all positioned with pinpoint accuracy and impeccable balance - plus wonderfully expansive soundstage, is truly remarkable. And I know this sounds rather like wishful thinking, but the overall result via my own particular setup - Naim UnitiCore source; mesh plate EL11s driving TFK EL12 Spezials; AirlinksTransformers ASF3000 Balanced Mains with Advanced Filtering unit; T1s - has some similarities to what I heard from the Chord Blu MKII's M-Scaler technology feeding the amazing 'Dave'...at a whopping £16,000+...... which can't be bad, as far as I'm concerned! :wink: :darthsmile: And to do all this - plus double as very high quality HP amp as well - in such a 'portable' form factor simply defies belief. This sort of performance from something this size (and appearance!) totally precludes me personally from even thinking about anything the size of Yggdrasil, I'm afraid. I truly believe that Rob Watts's work with FPGA is where others will probably have to follow....and at prices that fortunately are much more accessible than 'NOS' work in this field lol!!! :ksc75smile:...

And so just a couple of pics of where I'm at...and where I shall be happy to stay for a VERY long while.....I HOPE!!!!!...

P1000922.JPG P1000923.JPG

I wish you all the very best with your own Euforia experience...as with you too @Althalus ...CONGRATS!!...

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #3,654 of 11,472
No need to protect yourself against ridicule from others. This is a forum of ideas and people have different ideas and they're all worth exploring. I appreciate the fact that you would even answer the thread and I will check into the X5. Myself I am not afraid of ridicule usually that comes from small-minded people and I'm bigger than that. Thank you very much

Y'know, cf, I always thought it was pct who was the TALL guy...and Connor the BIG one lol!!...:ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:...(perhaps you yourself are the Rhino-hide one?!! :wink: :darthsmile:...)...CHEERS!...CJ

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3,655 of 11,472
IMG_0933.JPG

Have 12 volt driver heater set up.

Pairing GEC 6080, and HD 800,

12SN7 TS RP sound refined, delicate, and sweet. Great resolution and extended highs.

12SN7 Sylvania (3 hole bad boys, sound the same as 6 volt i have in hand) sound sweeter and refined. Great resolution and strong bass.

Presentation is quite different but equally satisfying.

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #3,657 of 11,472
12SN7 Sylvania (3 hole bad boys, sound the same as 6 volt i have in hand) sound sweeter and refined. Great resolution and strong bass.

I'm confused. Does the Sylvania 12V version sound better or the 6V Sylvania version better, or both the same?

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #3,658 of 11,472
I'm confused. Does the Sylvania 12V version sound better or the 6V Sylvania version better, or both the same?

Sorry for the confusion. That was compared to TS.

To my ears, 12V and 6V Sylvania 12SN7GTs sound the same, in Euforia as well as in microZOTL.

Sylvania has more bass and is sweeter than TungSol RP. TS RP has lighter and more open presentation than bad boys

Interestingly, both Sylvania and TS have great resolution and sound refined.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #3,660 of 11,472
I am not sure that is a very good question to ask h because you sure that is a very good question to ask H because you may have stumbled onto the real reason his system sounds so good that the sound is actually reverberating between the cottages and we're not supposed to know that it's the cottages not the equipment oh I hope you haven't uncovered a can of worms!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back