Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #6,451 of 7,154
Quick feedback to my RCA Grey Glas 1941 vs Stock Psvane paired with WE300b.

Compared both rather excessivly past 2 weeks with different HPs.

For Susvara I definitly prefer stock Psavane tubes when paired with WE300b. Grey Glas add a bit of clarity, detail and attack, but ultimately take something away from the mids, the sound is much less thick and tubey with on Susvara with them, there is less body, which ultimately makes them a no go for me. I felt that the layering took a hit too with Grey RCA.

For Atrium and Verite Open they work very well, with stock Psvane the sounds is bit more muddy and thick which isnt really needed considering the ZMF tuning, Grey Glas RCA help to clean up the sound and do add bit more detail and punch.

Its all about synergy I guess. What me makes me wonder what would be the proper upgrade from Psvane for Susvara, so the thick full bodied sound could be maintained, adding better technicalities like resolution, and better layering.

Currently I have this Fivre 6SN7GT incoming, very curious how they perform and open to other suggestions.

Just for you. Sorry it’s not all there, the original file is too big.

Attachments

• 000136801 2.pdf
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #6,452 of 7,154
Apr 16, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #6,454 of 7,154
It’s mainly for the WE300B on the cover, but if you’re interested I can send the second half of the file. Or if you have Qobuz you can find it there, there’s a pdf file with the album.
Using TIdal, would highly appreciate it!

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #6,456 of 7,154
Using TIdal, would highly appreciate it!
There’s at least 4 albums on Qobuz from this record label all of which have been recorded in a ‘transistor free’ environment. If you’re interested in classical music I can give you the details. Otherwise it’s just an interesting approach to recording music with old equipment.

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #6,457 of 7,154
There’s at least 4 albums on Qobuz from this record label all of which have been recorded in a ‘transistor free’ environment. If you’re interested in classical music I can give you the details. Otherwise it’s just an interesting approach to recording music with old equipment.
Yeah I appreciate it, PM works too, before we spam the thread!

Apr 16, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #6,458 of 7,154
Interesting. Was tempted to get a Master but when I started looking into it a Master was recommended for the plug and only one in the system. Ended up none the wiser for what's recommended and forgot about it! I'll maybe give them a shout (along with MCRU) and see what they say...
All I remember from some others' posts recently is that the first place to put an upgrade fuse is your DAC then your amp. But whether or not you put them in the plug as well...who knows.

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #6,459 of 7,154
On my system I think the Brimar CV1988 6SN7 accomplishes what you're looking for over the stock PSvanes.
Can't echo this loudly enough. I use them with Elrogs. Over Psvane, the Brimar CV1988 have more body, richness, detail, and bass. They worked brilliantly with my WE too.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #6,460 of 7,154
6S5S arrived and are fantastic, especially for the price if one can even find them. Shown with JJs but have amazing synergy with Elrog ER! WE are up next.
IMG_1483 (1).jpeg

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #6,461 of 7,154
6S5S arrived and are fantastic, especially for the price if one can even find them. Shown with JJs but have amazing synergy with Elrog ER! WE are up next.
Nice! Looks like you scored some early 50's.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #6,462 of 7,154
Apr 17, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #6,463 of 7,154
Can't echo this loudly enough. I use them with Elrogs. Over Psvane, the Brimar CV1988 have more body, richness, detail, and bass. They worked brilliantly with my WE too.
I am new to this game…

Anyway - I have had about 20hrs of each combo below - on Envy PE with Utopia 2022:

WE with Mullard 6SN7/EC33
WE with Brimar 6SN7/CV1988

When I had the mullards after the Psvsme - it was step change better in every dimension. I really like the WE/Mullard combo.

When I put in the Brimar - I have to say based on this short time - I prefer the WE/Brimar combo - slight but noticeable.

I dont have the ‘ears’ to translate the preference into other descriptive words but just that I prefer.

It might be that there is an initial preference and then the depth reveals itself - I don’t know. But atm WE/Brimar are winning.

Next will be the Taks and the above drivers.

I am on the search for some Melz… also I am told CV6s are very strong performers.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #6,464 of 7,154
T
I am new to this game…

Anyway - I have had about 20hrs of each combo below - on Envy PE with Utopia 2022:

WE with Mullard 6SN7/EC33
WE with Brimar 6SN7/CV1988

When I had the mullards after the Psvsme - it was step change better in every dimension. I really like the WE/Mullard combo.

When I put in the Brimar - I have to say based on this short time - I prefer the WE/Brimar combo - slight but noticeable.

I dont have the ‘ears’ to translate the preference into other descriptive words but just that I prefer.

It might be that there is an initial preference and then the depth reveals itself - I don’t know. But atm WE/Brimar are winning.

Next will be the Taks and the above drivers.

I am on the search for some Melz… also I am told CV6s are very strong performers.

The main question is always, which Headphone(s) and dac? It always comes down to the synergy with the chain imho.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #6,465 of 7,154
Throwing out the CV6 Mullard White prints as a rec. Absolutely game changing imo and a phenomenal pairing with WE300b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back