Feliks Audio ENVY
Jun 16, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #3,707 of 6,869
Quad Brimars are up there as well and far cheaper. The fellow in the store bought them immediately after listening them - and he'd heard the Melz/MO combo. I still love that Brimar combo a lot!

He described the Melz/MO combo as "ridiculous"..and they are.

With that Dave/Grimm combo with the Melz/MO I would say it was perfect for my taste. Audio..I had completed it.

The Grimm emparts a beautiful sweet, natural tone and the Dave, Melz, MO ultimate detail amd soundstage.

Combined it was extremely detailed but also completely natural, unforced and non fatiguing. This is all with Susvara. Bass is hard hitting and voices just sound live and real.

The Dave has a lot to do with some of these traits but it's the synergy with those components combined was jaw dropping from my perspective. I honestly can't imagine anything sounding better than that.

Synergy with your equipment matters a lot here. Look how many components are involved..the track, the cables, the power conditioning, DAC, amp, driver tubes, power tubes..there really isn't a simple answer of "these tubes are the best".

I found a magical combination for me but it might not be what everyone wants.

There are some awesome suggestions on this thread. Have fun tube rolling guys.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #3,708 of 6,869
Seriously thinking about the Envy. Question for all - what is the name of this custom finish in on the YouTube ad?? I want it! Does anyone know anything about it?

1687141973263.png

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #3,710 of 6,869
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #3,711 of 6,869
OK so to sum it up the Bartok is a lovely "full" sounding DAC with plenty of detail and great features. A wonderful DAC. Still a happy camper.

The Mola Mola sounds very realistic/Analogue as it has a very "airy" sound signature. As Darko said it "shines light" on the music. It doesn't have any more detail than the Bartok its just presented differently. This is a wonderful DAC but personally I still prefer the Bartoks presentation. I bet the Mola Mola is amazing in a speaker setup though.

The Dave + Grimm MU1 is ridiculous. The difference with Grimm upscaling off/on to the Dave is night and day. It's mostly the Dave but I've never heard separation like that. Everything in its own place but so natural and unforced. It really is another level. The Bartok and Mola are great at separation too but none can compete IMHO.

Expensive though to get both a Dave and a Grimm and do the Bartok represents great value compared.

For me though the Susvaras on these tubes, when driven properly were a revelation.

Potentially I may get some Susvaras, then try and forget that the Dave and Grimm exist lol.

Wow! Looks like you had a blast with some of the best DACs on the market. I am going to get myself a Tambaqui in the coming months. It was the best DAC I auditioned hands down.

I presume you listened to all these DACs through the Envy (which I am also eyeing but would have to sell off my AMP-23R)? Did you do a comparison between Envy vs Direct?

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #3,712 of 6,869
Wow! Looks like you had a blast with some of the best DACs on the market. I am going to get myself a Tambaqui in the coming months. It was the best DAC I auditioned hands down.

I presume you listened to all these DACs through the Envy (which I am also eyeing but would have to sell off my AMP-23R)? Did you do a comparison between Envy vs Direct?
Yes absolutely - all through the Envy.

The Tambaqui was wonderful - they were all wonderful really it's just a matter of taste/presentation. It sounded very detailed indeed but all with a touch of smoothness/finesse.

One thing I do regret is not trying that MU1 with the Bartok or Tambaqui as I think it would have been amazing in both cases and it would have given me a chance to determine exactly what influence that MU1 had on the sound. Maybe I need another session!

Sure I could turn off the Grimm oversampling which gave me a general idea of the Dave sounded without the Grimm and it was still good but it lost some of the magic. I guess it must be similar to what the M-Scaler adds to the Dave.

The combination of raw detail, separation, soundstage, hard hitting bass, beautiful midrange (just all of the superlatives) was delivered in a non-fatiguing, natural way. It was the best thing i've ever heard.

Now that setup has become my goal but it will take probably two years to attain.

Jun 19, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #3,713 of 6,869
Might it be possible that Elrog ER300B are slightly lower in volume than the Fullmusic 300B?

I find myself to turn the volume just a little higher than I used to

Jun 19, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #3,716 of 6,869
Might it be possible that Elrog ER300B are slightly lower in volume than the Fullmusic 300B?

I find myself to turn the volume just a little higher than I used to
As far as I remember somewhere a slightly lower amplification factor was mentioned. Maybe it was here, maybe among the vynilsavor blogs.

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #3,717 of 6,869
My Elrog's are finally coming in tomorrow! Real curious what they will sound like compared to the original and the Western Electric.

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #3,718 of 6,869
My Elrog's are finally coming in tomorrow! Real curious what they will sound like compared to the original and the Western Electric.
Prediction: WE's will be up for sale by the weekend.

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #3,720 of 6,869
Has any Susvara owners here gone from cfa3 to Envy and can give some comments on it? I have the cfa3 but after reading all these Envy posts I’m very curious about it, Thanks!
I indeed have done this. As good as the CFA3 is it doesn’t compare to the Envy, and that’s before you fall in the tube rolling rabbit hole. Trust me you won’t be disappointed if you upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back