Feliks Audio ENVY
Mar 27, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #6,121 of 6,728
AS one who absolutely loves my envy I do have a question about it that I cant figure out...I have the tube guards on my envy but cannot figure out what they are actually guarding lol...they do absolutely nothing to guard the 300b tubes or anything that might fall on top of tubes etc...wouldnt a proper tube cage that protected the tubes for real be a far better option and is there such a product available anywhere?
Stops young kids touching shiny glowing things...

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #6,122 of 6,728
I've also wondered why use a SS as a pre amp into a tube amp. I've heard others do it and wonder if I'm missing something.
Not sure why you'd SS pre out into tube either. Tube flavour - SS grip. Hence why lots of integrateds use tubes in the pre stage.

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #6,124 of 6,728
I think it's about 1500EUR or 1300GBP.

No idea of the quality of the source.

I love the MOs.

I would like to find some quality 300B socket savers if anyone has any recommendations?

I use the Woo ceramic ones for the 6SN7 slots and would love similar for the 300b Slots as I love the WEs as well.
The Woos are made from Delrin, not ceramic. You can always ask @WooAudio if they'll make some for you - seems like a logical request.

@Deyan makes some pretty stuff, but his are either plastic or ceramic (I think). He does do brushed housings though.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #6,125 of 6,728
Down the hole we go... :L3000:

1000014927.jpg

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #6,126 of 6,728
I've been trying out my Empire Ears Odin on the Envy. Via the Chord DAVE they are insane. Currently running Elrog 300b tubes so perhaps a bit leaner sounding than with Western Electric.

Doesn't have the soundstage of the Campfire Trifecta I tried recently, but the Odin has everything else that those lacked for me – as different as the two are. It's not a fair comparison as neither is trying to do what the other is, but it's the only comparison I have!

But the Odins absolutely scale incredibly well. I've just got a Cayin RU6 which is sufficient for now for portable use. But at my desk, it's fantastic to get this quality sound without having to make the sacrifices that come with closed back headphones.

I should say as well the background is very quiet with the Envy on low impedence. Not totally black but nothing noticeable on something like the intro to Talking Heads 'Road to Nowhere' with its silent breaks.

Shoutout to @Doug2507 for hooking me up with the XLR adapter :)

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #6,127 of 6,728
So initial thoughts after a coupe of hours with the 1988's vs cv181.

Quite a bit darker sounding and I'll put this down to reduced stage and treble. Not really paid attention to width but the height on the periphery is notably reduced.

Treble doesn't have anywhere near the same air around the notes and I'm hearing less resolution / definition / decay.

For me these are negatives vs the psvanes.

On the positive side...

Bass. Bit more meat on the bones here and also more linear into lower mids which is welcome. More punch than psvanes and this is notable even up to the snare. I'd say the bottom end is quite a bit fuller but also tighter vs cv181. Need more time with them for detail.

Overall, prefer psvanes with Full Music but appreciate what the brimars bring to the table. Stock combo treble is killer, far more open presentation which gives everything space to breathe & in turn gives superb stage and timbre.

Pretty much grasped the fundamentals of tube rolling straight away (synergy!) so next step will be putting the Takatsukis in when they arrive which hopefully will restore balance running the brimars. If the taks open things back up, reinject the sense of air, then it'll be heading in the right direction. Whether that also gives treble back it's resolution will remain to be seen.

181's back in for now, Brimars again when the Taks show up. :sunglasses:

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #6,128 of 6,728
The Woos are made from Delrin, not ceramic. You can always ask @WooAudio if they'll make some for you - seems like a logical request.

@Deyan makes some pretty stuff, but his are either plastic or ceramic (I think). He does do brushed housings though.
Thanks for that.

Actually I found the o es I asked Deyan to make and they look pretty decent actually.

I shall clean the pins with a fibreglass pen and give them a try.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #6,129 of 6,728
My Melz 1578 turned out well in the end. Very detailed and extended. it take more than 100hours though. btw how long to you guys burn in tubes each time? i typically to 4 hours at a time and rest for 2-3 hours and play again.. is this correct and safe?
By the way what are you pairing the Melz with?

They have wonderful synergy with the WEs. Even better than the MO + Melz combo to me.

Enjoying that combo rather a lot at the moment.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #6,130 of 6,728
The more i hear the WE300's the more i like them.
Voice are just nuts with the Brimars...
So soft and realistic even if they are tend to be forward. And i say that as someone who initially hated too forward vocals. Best example that if it's done really well there is no issue with shout etc.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #6,131 of 6,728
Quick update on the BTB situation, new pair of WE came in yesterday. This time it’s indeed a new pair, which was confined by WE. What o instantly noticed how different this pair sounds from the old pair that BTB tried to sell me.

The new pair is much drier and less vast and deep sounding out of the box, I am pretty certain it’s burn in thing, how long did it take your WE pair to open up?

I read about 500h which sounds bit excessive to me :)

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #6,132 of 6,728
Should probably be pretty good after 150-250h.
Even if the initial presentation is worse than the old pair, it's way better and safer for you to have new ones. You don't know if that old pair already had a thousand hours of playtime.
That actually makes me excited, that they will get even better over time.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #6,133 of 6,728
The more i hear the WE300's the more i like them.
Voice are just nuts with the Brimars...
So soft and realistic even if they are tend to be forward. And i say that as someone who initially hated too forward vocals. Best example that if it's done really well there is no issue with shout etc.
I used to hate forward vocals but as time goes by actually quite like it, as long as it's done right. Actually get a bit bummed when the vocals sound far back.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #6,134 of 6,728
Should probably be pretty good after 150-250h.
Even if the initial presentation is worse than the old pair, it's way better and safer for you to have new ones. You don't know if that old pair already had a thousand hours of playtime.
That actually makes me excited, that they will get even better over time.
I got mine used at 300 hours. They were great at that point, and improved out to 600, actually.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #6,135 of 6,728
So initial thoughts after a coupe of hours with the 1988's vs cv181.

Quite a bit darker sounding and I'll put this down to reduced stage and treble. Not really paid attention to width but the height on the periphery is notably reduced.

Treble doesn't have anywhere near the same air around the notes and I'm hearing less resolution / definition / decay.

For me these are negatives vs the psvanes.

On the positive side...

Bass. Bit more meat on the bones here and also more linear into lower mids which is welcome. More punch than psvanes and this is notable even up to the snare. I'd say the bottom end is quite a bit fuller but also tighter vs cv181. Need more time with them for detail.

Overall, prefer psvanes with Full Music but appreciate what the brimars bring to the table. Stock combo treble is killer, far more open presentation which gives everything space to breathe & in turn gives superb stage and timbre.

Pretty much grasped the fundamentals of tube rolling straight away (synergy!) so next step will be putting the Takatsukis in when they arrive which hopefully will restore balance running the brimars. If the taks open things back up, reinject the sense of air, then it'll be heading in the right direction. Whether that also gives treble back it's resolution will remain to be seen.

181's back in for now, Brimars again when the Taks show up. :sunglasses:
Tak’s and CV1988 is one of my favourite combinations. Along with others though. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back