Feliks Audio Elise Tube Rolling Guide 6SN7/6AS7G/6080/5998
Nov 3, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #361 of 384
I'm curently listening Miles Davis Kind of blue. Brand new Elise with 6SN7GT visseaux and GE 6AS7GA with T1.  For sure this is not a S.S. amp, it is warm but still precise.
Elise is burning and sound change for the best so i cannot give any objective impression yet until i get a stabilized perception.  

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #362 of 384
  I'm curently listening Miles Davis Kind of blue. Brand new Elise with 6SN7GT visseaux and GE 6AS7GA with T1.  For sure this is not a S.S. amp, it is warm but still precise.
Elise is burning and sound change for the best so i cannot give any objective impression yet until i get a stabilized perception.  

Wow! Great to hear you received your Elise! Congratz.

I also own a T1 and would be very interested in your impressions. Yes there is a euphonic type of warmth but I think the Elise is still a very neutral amplifier.

Enjoy listening! :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #363 of 384
  Wow! Great to hear you received your Elise! Congratz.

I also own a T1 and would be very interested in your impressions. Yes there is a euphonic type of warmth but I think the Elise is still a very neutral amplifier.

Enjoy listening! :)

T1 pair wonderfully with the Elise, I did some test with the Ethys ER4 PT-S and Elise drive correctly the 100 Ohms version but not the 27 Ohms.

After a complete string (guitar, mandolin, harpsichord, violin, bass and finally piano) listening session, i really enjoy the Elise. With the visseaux 6N7GT moving quickly from 6H13C to GE 6AS7GA opened the resolution like removing a veil. I enjoy a lot what i listen ! I even  re-discover some piece specially when the recording is very close to the musician or live recording.

The warm sound is still present but dynamic and precision increased a lot in only 5 hours of listening...After strings yesterday, tonight i will switch to more complex listening with more instruments, choir, and wider spectrum with organ music. What really impress me is that I'm able to identify each instrument and recreate the scene like if it was 3D.

I'm using my SMSL M8 travelling DAC and the result is astonishing... 

For now I enjoy a lot the music, i will play with tube later.... Thanks to Feliks family, Visseaux, GE and all the musicians 
atsmile.gif

The recipe seems easy : wide spectrum with precise and dynamic response !

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #364 of 384
Earlier this year, I received some Russian sub-miniature 6N16G-VIR, but since they have to be mounted into a base of some kind, I am only now getting around to giving them a try. To the left is a Sylvania Gold Brand 6021A and to the right is a Reflector 6N23P. As you see, it is a rather "big" sub-miniature. lol.

In the past, I have mounted them into a standard octal base. However, I don't have the necessary dexterity and patience to guide these lead wires into the hollow pins, so I soldered the leads to short pieces of 12 gauge (house wire) posts and then shoved the posts into the hollow pins. My first attempt was the epitome of crude and ugly as I was in a hurry and didn't have the proper sized heat-shrink tubing. lol. This is a Sylvania 7963, which is the best of the sub-miniatures I have tried to date.

My next attempt came out a bit better, Raytheon 6832, rebranded as a Sylvania. Another very good sounding tube.

This time, I have decided to try to use a "low riser" octal base which should allow me to dispense with the wire posts. Hope to get to this in the next several days.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #365 of 384

Hi Gibosi,

I did some experiment with sub miniature and I found the Christmas tree adapter a nice way to test those....
That's the picture on the CTH base socket is Noval. I also did a version with two tubes grouping both triode of a single tube in // for T1 and the same for T2 and have heater in common no picture available as i'm far from home (but have the Elise and T1 at the hotel )

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #366 of 384
Your christmas tree adapter is very clever. In my LD, I used a 9-pin breadboard socket and simply connected the leads to the correct terminal blocks to try out new sub-miniatures. And then if I thought they were good enough, I stuffed them into octal bases. :)

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #367 of 384
"Do you call it a jungle adapter :wink:"

lol. I call it my "Little Monster Dot" :)

The Little Dot 1+, II, III and IV were designed to use two triodes, or more accurately, two triode-strapped pentodes, as drivers. By adding an external 9-pin breadboard socket and an external heater power supply, we were able to run double triodes, such as, 6SN7, 6DJ8, 2C51 and many others. It was great fun. :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #368 of 384
Re sub miniature tubes with wire leads:

I was able to connect them fairly easily by buying precut pieces of 1mm shrink wrap tubing. Then i cut the pieces to size to cover the wire leads and threaded them onto the leads.

Afterwards I cut 20mm pieces of solid 1mm copper wire and pushed the pieces into the shrink wrap tubes, leaving 6mm exposed at the end. Using a cigarette lighter as heat source I "welded" together the copper pins to the wire leads ( a hair drier would work better because it would not discolor the shrink wrap tubing) by the shrink wrap tubing clamping together the wires.

Then inserted the copper ends into a 9pin socket extender. This makes for a sturdy plug in unit, and I pushed it into an 9pin to octal adapter.

The Sylvania 7963 sounded better than the Raytheon 6932 that I tried. Out of 5 stars I'll rate the sound of the Syl 3.5 stars.

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #370 of 384
I have 2 Chatham 6as7g tubes. One has white lettering on the base and the other has yellow writing. Is there any difference between the two?
Hi T,

I have a pair from Nov 1958 with white lettering. If the internal construction is the same I would not worry about the different color of the writing.
Can you see any dates or date codes?

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #373 of 384
Just got my Elise from Upscale Audio on Friday and have put about 20 hours into it. Loving it so far...thinking about tubes already for future rolling.

Has anyone tried the GE 6SN7GTB 1965 NOS from Upscale or the legendary Pope 6SN7GT with their Elise? Super curious.

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #374 of 384
Just got my Elise from Upscale Audio on Friday and have put about 20 hours into it. Loving it so far...thinking about tubes already for future rolling.

Has anyone tried the GE 6SN7GTB 1965 NOS from Upscale or the legendary Pope 6SN7GT with their Elise? Super curious.
Hi WG,
Found a quote from an old Head Fi thread re the Pope tube:
"Maybe it's me, but in my opinion MINIWATT is the same tube as POPE, cos the last one is the commercial brand only, so, the sellers taking a huge advantage of the very small batch that been possibly made, that's all. To say that they are the best sounding is one or two man opinion, because not that many others own one and that's what makes some of us crazy. To me, give me more Mullard, Fivre or Brimar made, also not cheap, but much more available and easy to get."
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/6sn7-tube-addicts.479031/page-90
IMHO what the seller writes about these tubes is hype and $500 is a lot of money for a pair.
I suggest that you read the Elise and Euforia threads where people discuss their findings and preferences. You should be able to find excellent tube combinations for reasonable prices - cannot remember people extolling the virtues of the tubes you mentioned.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #375 of 384

Hi WG.

Congrats on getting your Elise...I'm sure you'll love it even more as time goes by. Especially when you become engrossed in/addicted to(?!) trying out different tubes :dt880smile:

And as mordy says, you don't need to be spending silly money on them...most sound very good indeed in F-A's amps - in the end, often coming down to personal preference and, of course, depending upon the rest of one's system!

The most 'live' Elise thread at the moment is this one : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fel...rt-please-read-first-post-for-summary.813488/
But there are 2 others...if you ever have the time/patience/inclination to trawl through them lol!! :wink:...So ENJOY!...CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back