Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Jun 16, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #1,471 of 3,428
It's getting complicated... I ordered the Elise with the most expensive drivers. While waiting for the amp I learned about c3g and 7n7 alternatives. Ordered 7n7 adapter and tubes. Now that the amp is delayed even more, I learn about 6c8g...I will not buy adapter and tubes now, as I first need to understand if I can hear the difference between the other tubes... supposed the amp actually arrives :wink:

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,472 of 3,428
It's getting complicated... I ordered the Elise with the most expensive drivers. While waiting for the amp I learned about c3g and 7n7 alternatives. Ordered 7n7 adapter and tubes. Now that the amp is delayed even more, I learn about 6c8g...I will not buy adapter and tubes now, as I first need to understand if I can hear the difference between the other tubes... supposed the amp actually arrives :wink:

Curious -

How long has your wait been thus far, nephilim?

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,473 of 3,428
Hi hypnos 1,

The Elise has almost 100 hours on it now, so I guess that it should be burned in by now. I really like this amp, and that is the main thing.

At this time I have overdosed on tube rolling, and I am just going to enjoy listening to the supplied stock tubes for a while. Tried a combination of my unsung heroes RCA 6SN7GTB 1965/67 with the top heater wire together with the 1958 Chatham 6AS7G. This combination was quite nice. The RCA were not as sweet as the Tung Sol 6SN&GTB reissues, but the Chathams had more punch in the bass than the 6H13C tubes.

Don't worry, I haven't given up on the C3gS tubes; for sure they are more resolving than the TS tubes - I just have to find the right power tubes to pair them with. Have a pair of RCA 6AS7 and various 6080 tubes to try, and some 6BX7and 6BL7  as well.

As you know, there is a vast pool of Elise owners out there, and I am sure that interesting tube combinations are going to be suggested. My amp, which just was delivered, turns out to be serial #9 based on well informed insider sources.

All jokes aside, this is a serious amp, and I am sure that as it's reputation picks up, many more people will buy it.

Cheers,

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,476 of 3,428
It's OK. I contacted Lukasz after the initially predicted 2 weeks delivery period. He mentioned the numerous holidays in Poland (which we enjoy in Germany, too :wink:) and expected another 2 weeks delay. However, I still haven't received the promised notification that the Elise even went into build... I guess they are just too busy and I'm not complaining... just feeling a bit impatient :wink:

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,477 of 3,428
  It's OK. I contacted Lukasz after the initially predicted 2 weeks delivery period. He mentioned the numerous holidays in Poland (which we enjoy in Germany, too :wink:) and expected another 2 weeks delay. However, I still haven't received the promised notification that the Elise even went into build... I guess they are just too busy and I'm not complaining... just feeling a bit impatient :wink:

For what it's worth, I ordered last week and I was told there'd be a 5-6 week wait.

Yours should (hopefully) be on their way sooner rather than later.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,478 of 3,428
Hello all,

I've been away from Headfi for few months, The first week of catching up on reading, I ended up buying ELISE. Yes, I ordered it today. I love music but not very good with managing finance. I am excited to hear many people here love Elise. 

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #1,480 of 3,428
Hello mordy

Long time no see, Hope you all are doing good, ( Colin, ilm2, gibosi, mikelap , TDragon.... . ) How is Elise compare to your LD mk iii with external PSU 6080/6s7g/ C3g combo? I didn't upgrade external pus on my LD MK IV and still enjoying them. What is your favorite combo tubes on Elise so far?

Hi CitizenLin,

Congratulations! You are not going to be disappointed - this is a gem!

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #1,481 of 3,428
Hi hypnos 1,

The tube rolling overdose wore off, and I am back at the tedious job of ferreting out the best sounding combination of tubes for me.

One thing that surprises me is that not all the tubes that worked best for me in the Little Dot MKIII are necessarily the best in the Elise. They are contenders, but.....

The Sylvania 6080WB power tubes that I loved in the LD did not sound as good in the Elise. Tried Chatham 6AS7G - sounded better. Then I tried the Chatham 6080 with the RCA 6SN7GTB and the Tung Sol 6SN7GTB - even better, with the nod going to the reissue Tung Sol combination.

BUT, the C3g tubes bring out more detail and clarity; I just have to find power tubes that make them sing instead of talk.

'Things go Better with Coke' as the slogan goes. In this case I put in a pair of RCA 6AS7G coke bottle tubes. Suddenly the sound warms up and the amp sings more than before, but I still have the exquisite detail and clarity. (Funny, the RCAs did not strike a chord in the LD.)

Imagine listening to the same recording that I have listened to for over four decades and suddenly hear new details that I never heard before - wow!

I am not finished yet - have some more tubes to try, but at least I am getting closer. Then I am going to embark on the power cord project to see if I have something sitting around that lowers the hum. Not that the hum is a problem - I can only hear hum with the music off and the volume at unlistenable super loud levels.

Jun 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #1,482 of 3,428
Hi CN,

There is no contest; the Elise is far superior to the modded MKIII. There is no going back.

Feeling may way around for tubes. However, the stock tubes that the Elise comes with are very good. A step up are the C3gS with the hypnos made adapters.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,483 of 3,428
Hello all,

I've been away from Headfi for few months, The first week of catching up on reading, I ended up buying ELISE. Yes, I ordered it today. I love music but not very good with managing finance. I am excited to hear many people here love Elise. 

Congratulations! I think this is one of the biggest bargains in audio.

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #1,484 of 3,428
I'm closely following the posts. Looks like only 9 amplifiers have been delivered so far and Mordy makes it sound like if you don't have a lot of tubes sitting in your closet, you won't be able to enjoy the stock setup :/ I wish him luck to finally find a pair that sounds best so that us noobs could straight away buy it and finally enjoy some singing of Elise rather talking :p

Lastly, congratulations to new Elise owners who are waiting in line for their amplifier to arrive like myself :) I hope I'll get the serial number 10 Hehe wish me luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back