Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Apr 5, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #977 of 3,428
If you're interested in any of the tubes or in the cans, I'll ship to Holland, but I'd have to charge the actual shipping cost.

Sorry i have no need for those. Good luck with your sale! I hope you can move all of it quickly so you can order an Elise to call your own.
beyersmile.png

On another note, are there any other community members that took delivery of an Elise recently? I would love to know what your impressions are.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #978 of 3,428
I truly appreciate the replies and the tips, guys. Very helpful. Quick question, do you feel like the factory Tung-Sol upgrade should be seriously considered?

The Tung Sol current production is a decent tube and may sound great in this application.  My own experience tells me that using Old Stock tubes generally improves the SQ.  I can't tell you which one, but I would seriously consider starting with a modest available old stock tube, like one  of the less wildly sought after Sylvanias. Perhaps a Sylvania GTA iif you are lucky, maybe you happen across the three rivet version with extra  large chrome gettering called Chrome Domes. If not those,  try the triangle plate version.  That is just a test of how critical the tube roll may be.
If there are specific outcomes you want,  let us know (As precisely as you can- avoid just better, using as many  descriptors you can and perhaps you will get targeted answers.  Do include a budget.  The Tung Sol Black Glass round  Plate new in box will cost upeard of $500, if it appears truly  New Old Stock. So get back to us with what you want and maybe we call give you precise advice.
Do not throw out the stock tubes, in some albeit unusual cases, it is truly what the engineers voiced the amp with and other tubes may not sound better but this is rare.  I had that happen all of one time in aver a dozen years of being an inveterate tube roller. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #982 of 3,428
  It would be nice to have a buying option with no supplied tubes also :) Many of the roller interested may have stacks already.

I asked for that it was only $50.00 cheaper 

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #984 of 3,428
  Thanks, still $50 though :) Every little helps with a house move on the horizon.

Oh ya for shure ,but still wasnt enough for me with exchanged and custom to much so it was more worth it for me to get something overhere 

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #985 of 3,428
Hi Nic,

I have among others the Sylvania GB and Chatham 6080 tubes, but prefer the plain Sylvania 6080 tubes from the 1960's. To me, these 60's tubes sound better than the previously mentioned, as well as better than the Chatham 6AS7 tubes.

Have you tried a MKIII with 6080 tubes?

Apr 5, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #986 of 3,428
  Hi Nic,

I have among others the Sylvania GB and Chatham 6080 tubes, but prefer the plain Sylvania 6080 tubes from the 1960's. To me, these 60's tubes sound better than the previously mentioned, as well as better than the Chatham 6AS7 tubes.

Are those your SYLVANIAS on the left in picture is there markings to look for ,for the 60S model .                                                                                                                        

Apr 6, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #987 of 3,428
The earlier Sylvania 6080 do not have the third mica on top. Moreover, they will likely be labeled 6080WA or WB. However, I have seen 6080WB with the third mica dated 1969. The 6080WCs seem to be from the 1970s and later, and all have the third mica. So I would suggest the earliest ones are 6080WA without the third mica on top.

For example, these are currently on eBay: 6080WA. The tube on the left is dated 1951. 

$_57.JPG

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #988 of 3,428
  Hi Nic,

I don't have a Mk111 mordy so no, but do have a Mk9 and have tried them on that but also have 5+ other 6AS7G amps that I have tried these on so my view is quite a wide one (and it is what I like to do). I have not tried them on my 4SE as I prefer not to use separate PSUs (but can do). I quite like standard Sylvanias however, it is the standard RCAs and GE that leave me a bit wanting, not sure why though they always seem a bit anemic to me. Getting 60s Sylvanias is harder now days and many are 70s / 80s WC PhilipsECG types. I get the distinct feeling the days of pleantifull Western 6AS7G are finishing, along with 6080s closely following.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #989 of 3,428
The Sylvania tubes that I like look like the right one on the picture:

$_57.JPG

My tubes are from 1966, 1969 and 1971 and have triple micas, copper rods,  and are labeled 6080WB. The green silk screening says Sylvania CHS 6080WB and has the date, and on the other side of the tube it says 6080WB in gold silk screening. The bottom plastic base is grey with silver metal around it.
i don't lose any sleep over the fact that they are not date matched - they sound excellent. I paid around $3 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back