Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Mar 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #931 of 3,428

The RCAs are indeed warm and grand, terrific tubes. :)

Something that I find rather curious. When I go to clubs, bars and other small live music venues, the sound tends to be quite bassy and warm. And this warm, bassy sound tends to mask high-frequency detail. On the other hand, a number of the most popular and highly regarded headphones, such as the Senn HD800, are just the opposite -- rather cold, lacking in bass quantity, but superb high-frequency detail. This is essentially the complete opposite of the live music I usually hear. For those who own headphones like the HD800 and crave a bit more warmth and bass without giving up too much detail, the RCAs just might be the perfect match.

Besides, I would suggest every HD800 owner to buy a Norne Draug 2 cable first thing :wink:

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #932 of 3,428
  Hi H1, would be curious too. Enjoy your new toy =)

Hi A11.

Well, this kid didn't play with his new toy for very long...NOT very impressed.

First, the 3.5mm stereo line out was u/s - intermittent loss of stereo connection, which could be occasionally rectified by tapping the bottom of the unit!! (My jack plug is fine in other equipment...).
To tell the truth I never have liked these tiny plugs/sockets...have found them unreliable in the past, to say the least! So back it goes and shan't be replacing...

Second, I was hoping (against hope I suppose) that it would closely approach the Audiolab, given its use of dual ESS Sabre DACs...should have known better, lol! For a portable hi-res DAP I must admit it is pretty amazing - it drove my Beyer T1s fairly easily as well. But it just cannot "cut the mustard" when in the company of some very good kit, hence another reason for not replacing.

I know I am being a bit unfair on the poor little thing, but I was somewhat misled by the glowing reports on the ibasso threads - even line-outputting from the Oppo BDP with 20+ft of Cat 5 cable direct to the Elise was far superior...

Ah well, back to the drawing board...Geek Wave perhaps? (Am now very reluctant however, given the dreaded 3.5mm line out and NO digital out...).

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #933 of 3,428

Hi A11.

Well, this kid didn't play with his new toy for very long...NOT very impressed.

First, the 3.5mm stereo line out was u/s - intermittent loss of stereo connection, which could be occasionally rectified by tapping the bottom of the unit!! (My jack plug is fine in other equipment...).
To tell the truth I never have liked these tiny plugs/sockets...have found them unreliable in the past, to say the least! So back it goes and shan't be replacing...

Second, I was hoping (against hope I suppose) that it would closely approach the Audiolab, given its use of dual ESS Sabre DACs...should have known better, lol! For a portable hi-res DAP I must admit it is pretty amazing - it drove my Beyer T1s fairly easily as well. But it just cannot "cut the mustard" when in the company of some very good kit, hence another reason for not replacing.

I know I am being a bit unfair on the poor little thing, but I was somewhat misled by the glowing reports on the ibasso threads - even line-outputting from the Oppo BDP with 20+ft of Cat 5 cable direct to the Elise was far superior...

Ah well, back to the drawing board...Geek Wave perhaps? (Am now very reluctant however, given the dreaded 3.5mm line out and NO digital out...).

Hi H1, Well, it seems you need to up the game for the Audiolab competitor a bit. What about the Astel Kern 120?

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #934 of 3,428
I find it curious that it can be the little thing, like the jack, that can have a profound effect on the rest even with what should have wonderful ESS Sabre DACs.  There must be other issues as well, the overall circuit design for one big obvious matter, the caps used etc. I will try to illustrate the idea - use  a super  car engine in an old econobox car, your  not going get much super car out of the result. I am sure I am preaching to the choir.

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #935 of 3,428
  I find it curious that it can be the little thing, like the jack, that can have a profound effect on the rest even with what should have wonderful ESS Sabre DACs.  There must be other issues as well, the overall circuit design for one big obvious matter, the caps used etc. I will try to illustrate the idea - use  a super  car engine in an old econobox car, your  not going get much super car out of the result. I am sure I am preaching to the choir.

Hi M1...just my sense of 'humour', lol - by 'little thing' I was referring to the whole thing!...and surprisingly good for such a diminutive "all-in-one".

But yes, of course you're right - a Ferrari engine in a Ford Fiesta!!...it just ain't gonna really work 
redface.gif
. Shame...

And A11, very good though the AKs seem to be, I suspect they too are extremely good at what they do in the 'portable' arena, but in the 'desktop' are left wanting - especially given their cost!! So I am looking into the Oppo's apparent ability to be controlled wirelessly by tablet via an app, and so eliminate the noisy plasma TV as screen...until the Audiolab nears the end of its days?!!...
wink_face.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #936 of 3,428
I am looking for a pair of Chatam 6AS7.....anybody have a website that has these in stock.....thanks for any help.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #937 of 3,428
Are these what you're after?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAN-CAHG-6AS7G-2-CHATHAM-ELECTRONICS-USED-TESTED-VACUUM-TUBES-V83-/311316041896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487be1d0a8

Quote:
  I am looking for a pair of Chatam 6AS7.....anybody have a website that has these in stock.....thanks for any help.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #938 of 3,428
I believe so.....but hard to tell exactly , since i can not zoom on the picture.

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #940 of 3,428
And A11, very good though the AKs seem to be, I suspect they too are extremely good at what they do in the 'portable' arena, but in the 'desktop' are left wanting - especially given their cost!! So I am looking into the Oppo's apparent ability to be controlled wirelessly by tablet via an app, and so eliminate the noisy plasma TV as screen...until the Audiolab nears the end of its days?!!...
wink_face.gif

Hi H1, Have a look at the NAD M51 =) That seems to me to be one of the next logical upgrades from the Audiolab DAC.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #942 of 3,428
One is heading my way and will be on demonstration at the forthcoming UK Head-Fi Meet in Cambridge on Saturday 25th April. 
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Things are moving - 2 units shipped Friday...anyone we know?...

4 more being assembled...hope the pending good news is shared with us all here...
wink.gif
...(waiting with eager anticipation...).

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #943 of 3,428

Hi smial1966.

This is GREAT news...am really looking forward to your assessment of the Elise.

I presume you have some very nice tubes to test with...

So, it looks like there will be TWO Elises at Cambridge! - you with your best tubes and me with my adapted C3gSs + GECs...should be VERY interesting, lol!
And with my Beyer T1s, A11's HD800s + MDAC, (and your cans?) I'm really looking forward to my first head-fi meet - and especially to meeting you guys.
(All we shall need is a good media player with coax out to feed the MDAC and we're away!). But I'll still bring my tablet with USB out, just in case...

Roll on 25th April...
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #944 of 3,428

Hi smial1966.

This is GREAT news...am really looking forward to your assessment of the Elise.

I presume you have some very nice tubes to test with...

So, it looks like there will be TWO Elises at Cambridge! - you with your best tubes and me with my adapted C3gSs + GECs...should be VERY interesting, lol!
And with my Beyer T1s, A11's HD800s + MDAC, (and your cans?) I'm really looking forward to my first head-fi meet - and especially to meeting you guys.
(All we shall need is a good media player with coax out to feed the MDAC and we're away!). But I'll still bring my tablet with USB out, just in case...

Roll on 25th April...
beerchug.gif

Good you decided to join in! Looking forward to see you there and team up with you :) Apparently a friend of mine bought an Elise, which is on the way now...

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #945 of 3,428
Just got an email from Feliks that they are readying Elise amps for 120V operation. Shipping dates are expected April 8-10.

Did anybody receive their 220V amp yet? Impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back