Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Sep 20, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2,988 of 3,428
The Tung Sol 6AS7G that I bought sometime ago came today. What a nice surprise coming back from holiday. I held my breath as I opened the boxes hoping they are the real thing lol. Then I saw the words Tung Sol / Chatham and the copper rods.

Thank you Skylab for selling me these at a very good price by today's standard. They look very new too just aged and those are original boxes.

Because I didn't know they are 'real' I also bought another pair of Chatham 6AS7G which also arrived today!!!
So I've got 4 now.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,990 of 3,428
The Tung Sol 6AS7G that I bought sometime ago came today. What a nice surprise coming back from holiday. I held my breath as I opened the boxes hoping they are the real thing lol. Then I saw the words Tung Sol / Chatham and the copper rods.

Thank you Skylab for selling me these at a very good price by today's standard. They look very new too just aged and those are original boxes.

Because I didn't know they are 'real' I also bought another pair of Chatham 6AS7G which also arrived today!!!
So I've got 4 now.

Lucky Dog!!!! Hope you enjoy them!!

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #2,991 of 3,428
On 2nd inspection the tubes from Skylab are brand new letterings are still 100% and shiny glass but base a bit loose. This is where G's advice comes in. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Matching dates codes too the pair...3225922

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #2,993 of 3,428
  Just give me the address and the bottle will be sent soon :)

I wonder what to do with the Cetron... Are the speckles, glass particle and faint getter flash a sign of a bad tube?

ive been using some tubes with glass particles inside for a year now and they are still working fine

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #2,994 of 3,428
  Does anybody know if the JAN CRC 1635 tube can be used in the Elise?

Octal (Int.Octal, IO) K8A, USA 1935 (Codex=Ud)
FilamentVf 6.3 Volts / If 0.6 Ampere / Indirect / Parallel, (AC/DC) /
Description Duotriode, low-distortion high-µ Class B type, low-heater-current, T9 bulb on octal base; heater 6.3V @ 600 mA, µ 65, 3.3 W (RCA, W). Dev. for government use; "particularly used for underwater sound" (sonar?}. Announced by RCA 1942; sales limited to existing inventory 1971. [Information by L. Sibley]
Since this tube is operated without negative bias, it requires a high-µ characteristic to keep the plate current low. This is achieved by using two separate control grids connected in parallel inside the bulb. 

The 1635 is very similar electrically to the 6N7 with the same pinout. So for those who have adapters to use 6N7 and ECC31, the 1635 is one more to consider. A quick search suggests that only RCA made these.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,995 of 3,428
Woo Audio WA6 Impressions

Where as the DV336SE offers a multitude of sonic possibilities via rolling, the Woo Audio WA6 doesn't. Not without adapters. I stuck with the stock-fit possibilities and settled on a 6FD7 fat bottle. A fine looking tube. I was waiting to post anything serious about the amp, as I kept hoping a different tube would have a significant influence on its sonic quality. It did, but not to the degree that changes the sound of the amp profoundly. Tonally, yes. Resolution, no. The sound of the circuit, itself, dominated the presentation.

Imagine looking at a bridge, far in the distance, on a fall morning. There's mist in the air, hardly seen or felt, an imperceivable fog of sorts that rounds-off the edges of the bridge, as if there were no true right angles. That's what the WA6 sounds like: no sharp edges, no right angles, no tightly focused images. It's a limp handshake of an amplifier. No real guts. It sounds very pleasant, never offends, and at the same same time it never excels. At anything. Well, I shouldn't say that. Its build quality is excellent, as is its knob.

The highs are soft, the mids are slightly withdrawn, and the the bass is limited in its extension and articulation. There's no weight. To anything. Most noticeable is the fog that surrounds and engulfs the entire musical presentation. It's not air, as becomes immediately apparent after switching to a DV shod with excellent tubes.

I'm not totally unhappy with the amp, as it puts on a nice light show, looks great in my rack, and sometimes compliments a given recording with its smorgasbord of colorations, which remain constant as a mark of the circuit, itself.

Notice how the Elise was not mentioned. It's like comparing a low-powered BMW sedan to a McLaren. As the WA6 sits right now - Sylvania 6FD7/RK-60 - it's a direct competitor to a DV336SE shod with 7AF7/JAN Chatham 6AS7G.

I will revise these impressions, if needed, once the GZ34 arrives.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #2,996 of 3,428

Originally Posted by JazzVinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... Since we think the 0.8 amp current draw of the 6N7G are perfectly safe for the Elise, I am not going to worry about the rest, and just enjoy the tremendous sound quality improvement the 6N7G's bring, over 6SN7's and even over C3gS's....

Hello guys, I just recently had time to (start) getting caught up with this thread, and am still trying to wrap my head around the Elise.

So let's see if I got this straight: the 6N7G tubes are found to be superior on the Elise than the 6SN7 and even than the more expensive ECC31's. However:
Are you sure it's electrically safe to use these?
In what way does this  tube make it sound better?
What specific 6N7G tube were you using, or is there only one type?

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,997 of 3,428
...At this point I have no desire to try any 6SN7 or similar family type tubes as drivers since I find the C3g tubes far superior. With these drivers almost anything from the 6080 and 6AS7 families sound great!  
I firmly believe that we should be able to find great not too expensive tubes to produce beautiful sound from the Elise. A pair of used C3g driver tubes (10,000 hour lifespan) can be found for around $35 with a little patience (need adapters), and GE 6080 or 6AS7GA power tubes (older ones from 50's and 60's) can be found for under $20/pair. Or you could stay with the OEM 6H13C tubes as well...

So is it the general consensus that the 6N7G tubes sound better than the C3G tubes, as well as 6080 and 6AS7 tubes? And are all these driver tubes or power tubes? Thanks!

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #2,998 of 3,428
Hello guys, I just recently had time to (start) getting caught up with this thread, and am still trying to wrap my head around the Elise.

So let's see if I got this straight: the 6N7G tubes are found to be superior on the Elise than the 6SN7 and even than the more expensive ECC31's. However:
Are you sure it's electrically safe to use these?
In what way does this  tube make it sound better?
What specific 6N7G tube were you using, or is there only one type?

We haven't had enough data points yet to unequivocally recommend the tubes. Some have taken the chance and ordered some, myself included, and it will be a while until we can aggregately assess them. Yes, we're sure they're electrically safe and with some room to spare.

If you decide on an Elise, by the time one is built and you break it in, all these questions will have answers.

So is it the general consensus that the 6N7G tubes sound better than the C3G tubes, as well as 6080 and 6AS7 tubes? And are all these driver tubes or power tubes? Thanks!

These are drivers.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #2,999 of 3,428

The 1635 is very similar electrically to the 6N7 with the same pinout. So for those who have adapters to use 6N7 and ECC31, the 1635 is one more to consider. A quick search suggests that only RCA made these.

The 1635 shown here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_1635.html

Looks like the 6N7G seen 3rd from left here:

I realize you can't judge tube sound by the way it looks..but I did try the 6N7 that looks like this and (my copy) did not have the magic that the ST (coke bottle) envelopes (first two on the left in the photo above) had.

.I will probably pass on the 1635.  Hope someone else gets it and reports in.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #3,000 of 3,428

Hello DecentLevi...

No, not "general consensus" that 6N7G tubes sound better than the C3G tubes.  As far as I know, I am the only one who has tried them both.  The C3g is a very fine driver tube, make no mistake.  But I do like the 6N7G's in the ST envelope (coke bottle version) better.  But that is in _my_ system.

Someone else might come along and try both, and prefer the C3g.  Both the C3g and 6N6G require adapters to be used as driver tubes in the Elise. 

The 6080 and 6AS7 are power tubes, and do not relate to driver tube choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back