Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Aug 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,937 of 3,428
...this got my attention.

Yeah, for those HD800 owners who want more bass presence, the ECC31 could be a very good tube. :)

However, first we have to find out if the Elise can accommodate it. As the Elise uses two 6SN7 drivers, the circuitry is a bit more complex than my amp, which uses only one. I think it should be fine, but until H1 gets his adapters built, we can't be sure....

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,938 of 3,428

It is important to remember that rankings are based on very subjective and personal opinions. Everyone has different ears and different gear. A tube that sounds great to one person may well sound just OK to another.

So my advice is not to take any one person's rankings too seriously. After all, my ears and gear, my likes and dislikes, may very well be different than yours. In the end, the only way to learn which tubes are your favorites is to try them all! lol. Or at least, as many as your budget will allow. And then we hope that you will post your "rankings" here. :)

Cheers

Of course nobody has the same golden ears than mines 
biggrin.gif

As I'm new in tube electronics (except my speaker-amp rogers e40a) and moreover as I never made tube rolling, it may be interesting to hear about tubes listening features at least about their basic tone balance... 
beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,939 of 3,428

Great news! While the picture was lousy, it sure looked like a Mullard. Can you make out the production code? The pre-1955 code on mine is "1029.1 1MV", where "1029" seems to indicate ECC31 and the remaining digits likely indicate factory, date and perhaps batch, but I have no idea how to go about deciphering this code. And after 1955, Mullard adopted the Philips codes, with EM (ECC31) plus a numerical change code on the first line, and on the second line, B (Blackburn) plus year and month.

And with a little bit of luck, it would be great if your second tube is of similar vintage. While I have no idea how an early 1940s ECC31 might compare to one from the mid 1950s, it is likely that they would sound somewhat different....

To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between the ECC31 and ECC32 is below the bottom mica spacer. On the ECC31, the two cathodes are tied together with a small metal strap. However, as I don't have an ECC32 to closely compare, I can't be positive.....

Anyway, what I find most noticeable about the ECC31 is the bass. It is almost as if a subwoofer has been added to my headphones! WoW! :)

Hi g.

Sorry if I misled you...the QTL is the one yet to arrive (from Moldova), so I was closely scrutinizing the (yes!) lousy picture...and the more I look at it the more I'm convinced it IS a Mullard...but very possibly a later one?

The definite one I received has the code(1 - or is that an edge?) 029.1, and (1) MAA...so an oldie. Gonna be very interesting to see what (if any!) codes are on the QTL.

Always nice to have all the original packaging/paperwork...

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,940 of 3,428
Nice tubes there H1! I hope you're going to enjoy them:) I don't have the guts to try those 0,9A tubes in my MK6 because I can't get any answers from LD that it'd be safe :frowning2: David posted on the LD forums that CV181's are compatible but not sure if he means the new production CV181's which are completely different tubes.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,941 of 3,428
Hi Mordy, Hi Renderman,

I see there is a conflict between you guys on GEC power tubes.

Just to mention, I am a detail freak, who loves to listen to music without tiring my ears. What is the best option?

So far, if Sylvania are bass heavy I am most certain that they will tire my ears since I don't prefer bass that is dominating and overpowering.

This chase is driving me crazy, GEC must be extinct in today's market for budget buyers like myself.

I have almost pulled the trigger on Sylvania if these are as detailed as GEC and not tiring. I might cut down some on bass via EQ. Please suggest :)

Thanks for great review. I don't know how could mordy review on GEC when he does not have a tube haha

Well, maybe it is possible cause I have been doing tube rolling in my head ever since and before I even received the Elise LOL

Quote:
  Another plus with these Sylvania/Philips tubes are that they are very easy to listen to. There is a sweetness to the sound. The Chatham 6AS7G bring out more detail but less punch in the bass, BUT, they are somehow tiring to listen to.

So if you don't want to spend the big bucks on the GEC A1834 (which I have not heard yet), and can't find the Chathams, by all means try a pair of the Sylvanias. You should be able to pick up a pair for $25 or less.

I tried them with different headphones and my speakers, the Sylvanias are certainly a bassy tube, more bass weight, good low end extension and full sounding bass. This to me sounded very good with the (to my ears ever so slightly bright) Beyerdynamic T1. The combo was okay with my AKG K7XX and filled the room with bass presence when using my speakers.

Soundstage is nice, pretty big, mainly very wide. To me it sounds like the C3gs bring out a lot of the details but the Sylvanias do not convey all of this detail like the GECs do. To me the GECs are in a league of their own.

All in all the Sylvania 6080WC is quite a good tube. This might not be for you if details are high on your list of priorities (although the C3gs do compensate for that somewhat) but if you like a smoother, softer, slightly bass heavy presentation with a good soundstage this just might be a good, not too expensive option.

(Damn... I got the GECs but still have the tube rolling virus...)

yes the sylvania/philips are easy to listen too, this is what i meant with smoother i think :) If you like the sound of the Chatham, try the GECs, similar sound signature but not at all tiring!

Will get back to you guys on the Philips 6080WA i'm trying now...

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,943 of 3,428

Hi LR...mordy was referring to the Chatham 6AS7G, not the GEC - hope this clears things for you!
tongue.gif

Hello H1,

LOL I am so tube high right now, that means GEC is top notch. I have to say, my pursuit for TS/Chatham just ended, can't afford anymore tiring tubes.

So far, I am using Elise as a side table lamp at night, letting it burn in while I sleep (music still plays on HPs) :D I have noticed that the tubes are more brighter than before haha 

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,944 of 3,428
Well, did I miss the driver tubes listing? I have known C3G Siemens and Lorenz for now, what else?

I think I can be a Tier 2 or Tier 3 guy, soon.

Edit: Thanks Renderman, the listing looks fine to me.

The revised list as per gibosi's findings would be:

Tier 1.
1. GEC 6AS7G, A1834, CV2523 Straight and Curved Brown Base 
2. Western Electric 421A, Chatham/Tung Sol 5998, 2399, 421A

Tier 2.
1. Bendix 6080WB with slotted graphite cross columns, GEC 6080, Mullard (Philips) 6080WA

Tier 3.
1. Tung Sol 7236, Sylvania 7236
2. Sylvania (PhilipsECB) 6080WC

Disclaimer; this is how I read it, if anyone would like to alter this list feel free. It would be awesome to get a consensus on a list of best sounding power tubes.

I can personally agree with the list, and i concur with gibosi that the Mullard (Philips) 6080WA sound very good, close to the GEC 6AS7G but missing just a touch of refinement. Am listening to them right now, a very fine tube, very natural and neutral sounding.

Hope this helps your understanding agnostic1er :)

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,946 of 3,428

Sorry if I misled you...the QTL is the one yet to arrive (from Moldova), so I was closely scrutinizing the (yes!) lousy picture...and the more I look at it the more I'm convinced it IS a Mullard...but very possibly a later one?

The definite one I received has the code(1 - or is that an edge?) 029.1, and (1) MAA...so an oldie. Gonna be very interesting to see what (if any!) codes are on the QTL.

I see... The QTL is still on its way from Moldova and so still a bit of a mystery...

Anyway, I remember the listing for the one you just received. If I hadn't won the the auction for the pair I have, my plan was to buy this one, old and in it's original box. :)

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,948 of 3,428
HI LR,

I have not heard the GEC tubes, so I cannot personally review them. However, after comparing notes with other members on this forum, and confirming that their listening impressions are the same or very similar to mine, I would not hesitate to rely on their opinions.

So it seems that the GEC 6AS7 is the King Of The Hill.

However, nobody will say that you cannot derive great listening pleasure from other less expensive tubes in class II or III. Everybody has different taste and different equipment, and therefore different personal preferences.

If you are looking for detail, the Chatham 6AS7G should be the best alternative, without breaking the bank.

If you want overall very pleasant and smooth sound (having plenty of detail, but lacking the ultimate degree of detail), it seems that the Philips/Sylvania 6080 tubes would be a good and relatively inexpensive alternative.

When I said that I found the Chatham tubes tiring, that is a personal opinion only - somebody else may thoroughly enjoy the exquisite detail.

What it all boils down to is what you personally like - it may be that you will prefer something else than what is listed in category I. Some people like the Bendix 6080 the best, but the prices are very high.

The Elise is such a high quality amp that even with the stock tubes it sounds great!

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #1,949 of 3,428
  Nice tubes there H1! I hope you're going to enjoy them:) I don't have the guts to try those 0,9A tubes in my MK6 because I can't get any answers from LD that it'd be safe :frowning2: David posted on the LD forums that CV181's are compatible but not sure if he means the new production CV181's which are completely different tubes.

Thanks - MisterX-...I hope so too...(I shall blame gibosi if not, lol!
wink_face.gif
). Yes, .9A is pushing things a bit, but the nice big trafo in the Elise looks to have a nice bit of room to spare! (Will still check with Lukasz however...but it's a bit late now!!).

Shame you aren't sure about your MK6 - indeed, the Chinese CV181s aren't really CV181s...6SN7 spec...but I was fairly impressed with the PsVane TIIs, even if they aren't quite up there with the top-tier old 6SN7s.

I see... The QTL is still on its way from Moldova and so still a bit of a mystery...

Anyway, I remember the listing for the one you just received. If I hadn't won the the auction for the pair I have, my plan was to buy this one, old and in it's original box. :)

Yes g, still a bit of, but hopefully no nasty surprises!

I am however beginning to wonder if the one I received is in fact such a good deal...a. Gentle shaking produces a slight noise, and b. in my haste I didn't pay too much attention to the test readings, and I believe a new tube Ia value should be closer to 9mA, rather than this tube's 5.8mA. Does this hint at a much shorter life perhaps? If so, I just might be having to return this one...(there are other NOS tubes for about the same price).
Cheers!

I was born in Moldova. Let me see if I can whisper a good word for you.

smily_headphones1.gif

Well well 007...what a coincidence. What is Moldovan for PLEASE BE THE ONE!! ... (You might need to shout rather than whisper, perhaps?!
wink.gif
).
Ta...

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,950 of 3,428
  I am however beginning to wonder if the one I received is in fact such a good deal...a. Gentle shaking produces a slight noise, and b. in my haste I didn't pay too much attention to the test readings, and I believe a new tube Ia value should be closer to 9mA, rather than this tube's 5.8mA. Does this hint at a much shorter life perhaps? If so, I just might be having to return this one...(there are other NOS tubes for about the same price).
Cheers!

While I don't know for sure, I have been told that many testers do not have ECC31 on their list. And therefore, it might have been tested as a 6N7, which is similar but not the same. But again, I certainly don't know....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back