Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #13,336 of 13,846
I really like my Hegel HD12. It comes in at below the $1500.00.

Footprint is the same size as the Elise or Euphoria, and it's black too. Makes for a good looking pair.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0115/Hegel_HD12_DAC_Review.htm

Bimby multibit is $600 as compared to $1,400.. It is not balanced but using it with Elise or Euforia that shouldn't matter. Bimby won't handle DSD, but to me (and I suspect most people) that is irrelevant.

He compares the HD12 to many other DACs under $2,500, but doesn't indicates which ones. For me, there is nothing in his review that would lead me to feel a need to upgrade my Bimby to HD12. I admit to being biased, and if I do upgrade it will likely be up the Schiit line. Of course, if you have carefully evaluated the HD12 at home then your favorable view of it is certainly important.

May 17, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #13,337 of 13,846
May 17, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #13,338 of 13,846
There are other reviews where they compare it to other dacs.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/hegel-hd12-dsd-compatible-dac/

I was referring the under $1500.00 to Untils post.

Not fair to compare a $600 Schiit to the Hegel though. Everybody has their own budget and feelings on different makes.

Of course everyone has their own budgets and opinions. But that doesn't lead to the conclusion that something that costs more is going to automatically sound better. Especially where at least part of the cost difference can be attributable to features that one would not need - such as in my case balanced circuitry and ability to process DSD. I once heard someone say that it requires much more talent to design something within tight cost constraints than to design something without having to worry much about cost.

As a lawyer I know that I can almost always find an "expert" to testify in court in support of my position. I feel the same way about many "experts" who write "professional" reviews. If I like a particular piece of gear I can almost always find a published review to reinforce my own opinion. I actually put more stock in amateur reviews and posts and trends I see in those. But even with those I try to keep on hand a good supply of grains of salt. I can certainly find a lot of posts on HeadFi to support my own belief in the SQ of Bimby. I can also find a lot of posts that talk about how wonderful Valhalla 2 is, which does not comport with my own personal experience.

For me so much of what gets discussed on HeadFi and in "professional reviews" is mainly mental masturbation or people playing mind games. In the end I draw my own conclusions based on my own at home experiences.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #13,339 of 13,846
In the end I draw my own conclusions based on my own at home experiences.

Me too!

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #13,340 of 13,846
Guys,

I'm a new Elise owner and I'm loving this wonderful amp.

Does anyone here encounter the occasional "hum/buzz"? It is a short 1 sec hum/buzz and it happens intermittently and at random times - every 30 secs to 2 mins.

It only happens after the amp is warm/hot after 1-2 hours of playing time. I'm using the stock power tubes and the upgraded PSVane driver tubes

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #13,341 of 13,846
Time to share a bit, and not only read :)

i'm also a fairly new Elise owner, around 2 months. Using it in a bedroom setup with a Auralic Aries mini as streamer and dac.

I have mainly been using it with Focal Elear, Beyerdynamic T1.
What a surprising and wonderful match with Elear, very engaging sound.

Last week i found a pair of HEX priced fair, and took the chance to sell Elear to finance em'.

Did own the HEX before, and did really miss em'. Didn't really know what to expect from Elise and HEX. Could only find one member mention them together. But what a pleasantly surprise, when i plugged them in today :)

What a magical vocal that pair can reproduce! was afraid the high output impedance from Elise would screw it up with the sensitive HEX.

Have only been using stock tubes, but got a pair psvane uk-6sn7 arriving tomorrow!

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #13,342 of 13,846
Jun 10, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #13,343 of 13,846
A HEARTY WELCOME BACK to friends old and new.

Let us continue the wonderful work and camaraderie of so many on the old Feliks thread...

I look forward to meeting you all once more, and hearing of your further experiences with this marvellous amp.

CHEERS EVERYONE!!

CJ

ps.....Some links you might find useful - especially the old thread : 'Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G prototype)', where there is a wealth of info and advice on many subjects, not just this amp and tubes!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732875/feliks-audio-elise-previously-6sn7-6as7g-6080-prototype
http://www.head-fi.org/products/feliks-audio-elise/reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/t/479031/6sn7-tube-addicts
http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/410326/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here

For the Feliks-Audio site : http://www.feliksaudio.pl/en
For direct email contact with Lukasz at F-A : info@feliksaudio.pl

Finally i found the useful links for the tubes.I don't have the amp for this thread i hope i don't get kicked out....:gs1000smile:
I'am on a DIY AMPS side of this hobby.

THANKS!
Jack

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #13,344 of 13,846
Hi P,

If you already have 3 pairs of EL3N and 2 pairs of 6BL7, it is a worthwhile investment on the 2 set of adapters for $120. What you need are 4 additional 6SN7. You don't have to buy the expensive ones to start with. Suggestion would be to try some sweet sounding and reasonably price Sylvania 6SN7GTB Chrome top. Well since you already have 2 stock Tung Sol 6SN7GTB reissue, you only need to buy 2 more other brands. You don't need all 4 6SN7 of the same brand and variety. Mix and match gives very pleasant tones.

My last listening session before going to bed was listening 'again' to 2xEL3N with 4x6SN7 and I slept like a lamb. This combination is now sounding so sweet I cannot believe I didn't think of using 6SN7 as power tubes. You can try it now in fact. Just use 2xEL3N and 2x6SN7. You'll get a idea of the tone. Of course doubling the 6SN7 will give you the benefits I described about using Fours combination.

As for GEC 6AS7G, my position is to wait and see. There doesn't seem to be an immediate need now to splurge $400 for them as I've just gotten hold of countless combinations here that all sound amazingly good. !!! It's like a child who has just gotten hold of a Superman toy. Do you think he would immediately want an Ironman or Incredible Hulk toy? Anyway I think even Bill Gates will bulk at the $400 asking price for the GEC. However don't let me stop you. Go for it if it's comfortable for you. Who knows when I get crazy I might buy a pair too but then the wife will come home and find the puppy missing and how will I explain?
blink.gif

Cheers,
UT
beerchug.gif

LOL

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #13,346 of 13,846
One can only hope that Shakespeare won't unleash Hamlet's ghost on all of us !!!! If he is reading this, just know I don't have a clue as to who this UT (aka Bill Gates) crazy person is.

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #13,347 of 13,846
Ground your Elise. If you have a common ground in your house, run a wire and connect it to the power extension board's ground. This is what I did and now mine is silent, no hum.

Also, let it burn in for a while. This will also take away the occasional buzzing.

Guys,

I'm a new Elise owner and I'm loving this wonderful amp.

Does anyone here encounter the occasional "hum/buzz"? It is a short 1 sec hum/buzz and it happens intermittently and at random times - every 30 secs to 2 mins.

It only happens after the amp is warm/hot after 1-2 hours of playing time. I'm using the stock power tubes and the upgraded PSVane driver tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back