Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 31, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #11,102 of 13,846

Like this?

Question about this circuit...it takes DC and doubles the voltage, correct? IE 6.3v DC in becomes 12.6v DC out?

I had this idea long ago, for Elise, and ordered two small circuits already made, for cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VA0GRFG/ref=asc_df_B00VA0GRFG4294750

But discovered Elise uses AC, not DC for the heater supply.

Have not seen a similar circuit to double AC voltage.

Does one exist?

tongue.gif

This circuit requires AC in so it is 6volt AC input and 12 volt DC output
It will not work with DC input. So it will work with the Elise that is AC.

Cheep 1000uf 10volt capacitors and cheep 1N4001 diodes are fine

May 31, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #11,104 of 13,846
Good afternoon all. I'm currently settling in with my Mullard 6080/EL3N combination, and it seems to be working out very nicely. I think I'll give tube rolling a rest for a while and just enjoy this setup. There is a 50Hz hum which arrived when the EL3N warmed up... I'll have to wait and see if it goes away with burn-in. But in any case it's not severe enough to get in the way of the music, and this combo sounds so lovely I'll overlook it! 

Thanks for all the tips and info on this thread so far. 

May 31, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #11,107 of 13,846
@WB2016. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. You bring a very unique perspective to this thread. 

Maybe I should clarify that I don't suggest to buy everything at once, but to get the best piece you can afford into the system piece by piece, unless you take out a loan or got an inheritence, etc. :wink:

You can learn a lot from having the best piece in there and then through experience see what elements influences it. You learn a lot from a "reference" (by your standards and wallet) in a system and how elements influence this. The first step is hard and usually involves a bit of trust or imitation. The Elise is nice because you can play with tubes and get a feel of different sounds within the same base (the Elise amp) then you can try to have friends come over or amazon with return and when the next paycheck comes find the next piece. Its tempting to get something that will quickly improve things but in the end will become obsolete so this approach requires some discipline:wink: It will take longer, but you will learn more and have a far better system than making a whole lot of compromises. You will also save money and be able to have a system usually a category or more better than with the upgrade approach. Also a big issue is burn in and having your ears get used to a piece of equipment in the chain, then the add another "reference" (your not "objective") is the way to grow the chain. This was suggested to me by people who really know how to create excellent systems. It is also the scientific experimental approach, keep everything constant and change one thing experimentally:wink: This will work better than ABX purely based on the cognitive processes in your head, such as habituation and association.

By this approach you will also be able to perceive the effect of minor pieces of the chain, things that you cannot "hear" but that will ultimately influence ho you perceive and possibly enjoy your music. Mainly in the end you don't have regrets and start spending money and fall into what you so aptly call audiophilia nervosa. Its like knowing you did the best you could and learning to be happy with the choice you make. You can only do your best but you were more involved in a controlled manner in the process.

This approach is hard, but the Elise, or a reference HP that many consider an endgame that you can trust is a good starting point.
A great starting point is also something like the Munich High End HP booths, where they have the same (objective neutral reference) amp but 30-40 different hp next to each other to see what constant with one variable sounds like. Its not a perfect approach but its a good start.

Again this is my opinion based on quite a few years as an installer and consultant with a bit of a clinical background as a scientist and psychologist, but mainly learning from people who know much more than me and that tought me to avoid reinventing the wheel and making all the errors myself. Its all more complicated than just ordering what gets a five star review in a journal unfortunately:wink:

Cheers
WB

May 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #11,110 of 13,846
Don't know anything about turntables.. I was thinking of just plugging it into my Elise and press play?

About using a rectifier, wouldn't it already share a common ground with Elise, since we're taking the signal directly from Elise?

Edit: Oh, and thanks! Hehe

You need a cartridge preamp to get the signal loud enough for Elise to further amplify...

http://www.phonopreamps.com/

Would rather use 12.6v ac inside Elise, instead of DC for heater current. That DC booster board I linked to earlier, I am pretty sure is DC in and DC out, not AC in and DC out. Yes, the hum problem could be handled but as I said...seems to me AC a better way to go for heater circuits (just my preference, after running both).

:p

May 31, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #11,112 of 13,846
Sorry if I missed this somewhere.  Did Lukasz ever affirm to anyone that using EL3Ns as drivers via adapter was okay for this amp?  It's not in the manual, and I want to stick to manufacturer-approved tubes.  Thanks, Amin

May 31, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #11,113 of 13,846

Build a adapter with a voltage doubler in it.
I used to make one to use the cheaper B36 and TSRP 12SN7.

Like this?

That is it.
For the caps use 1000uf 10 volt you can get them small enough to fit everything into a large tube base.

Also you can build a voltage quadrupler with 4 diodes and 4 caps and get 25.2 volts and use the Brimmer 13D1 and the USA  1633.
And who knows what crazy tubes you guys can come up with.

+1 with what Glenn says about the 13D1 Brimar and the USA1633 tubes.

If you guys can get this to work...the Brimar 13D1 is a wonderful sounding tube, it has gone up in price quite a bit since I bought mine...but the RCA 1633 smoked glass tubes can be had for really cheap and they sound very nice...I think I bought 5 NOS for like $22.  Heck nobody else can use them 
tongue.gif

12SN7 are also great deals, I have bought many lots of those for very cheap...I soon had about 50 12SN7 tubes and had very little money in them...

Good luck, hope you guys get it figured out so you can save some money on tubes.

May 31, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #11,115 of 13,846
Hi WB2016,

Over the years I have used a different approach to choose my equipment. Since I cannot go to Hi Fi shows and check things out, I keep on reading and building reference points in my mind. A lot of purchasing decisions are financial. Also, by reading, you will come to understand which people have taste similar to yours, and you may be able to rely on their opinions.

As you mention, you cannot always go by the recommendations in the audio magazines. In today's age, you can look up consumer reviews on the internet on many items. Reading through these is often very helpful. I would not rely on a couple of reviews, but if there are many of them, you can get a good idea by reading 20 or 50 reviews.

I used to buy expensive items from high end salons to be sure I got good stuff, but today I feel that there is often no correlation between price and performance. A speaker system costing $250 today may be superior sounding to a speaker system costing 10 times more 20 years ago (maybe today as well). Sometimes old high quality items can be bought or gotten very inexpensive, and they will serve well today.

As an aside, there is a huge interest in the US (and most likely elsewhere) for old high end items. If you have old pieces of equipment sitting around that are not being used, I encourage you to try to sell them on eBay and similar venues. You may be surprised how much certain items sell for. To check the market value, type in what you a re looking for, bring up what is available on the screen, and then scroll down on the left side until the last check box entry: SOLD ITEMS.

When you click on this, you will see what sold (price in green) in the past two months and for how much, enabling you to set your price realistically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back