Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
May 31, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #11,116 of 13,846
Hi Kon Peki,

Regarding which tubes to use, I would not worry about solely the manufacturer's recommendations. The main thing is to use tubes that are running on 6.3V and don't draw more current than the amp can handle.

The choice of tubes for a manufacturer is based on the availability and price of tubes and not necessarily what may be the best sounding ones. Within what is available in quantity the manufacturer can choose the best ones for their product.

High end manufacturers like Atma Sphere that sells amps in the $12,000 - 60,000 range, are using Russian or Chinese tubes since these are available in large quantities.

May 31, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #11,117 of 13,846
  Just got my birthday present from my GF. 

Nice !!! Don't you love wives or GFs who give you turntables.

Yup get a phono preamp and away you go... after you've balanced the arm and set stylus pressure and anti-skating adjustment right. My Denon came with build in phono preamp which can be switch off so I just plug it into Elise.

May 31, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #11,119 of 13,846

Yup get a phono preamp and away you go... after you've balanced the arm and set stylus pressure and anti-skating adjustment right. My Denon came with build in phono preamp which can be switch off so I just plug it into Elise.

Don't forget to set overhang, and angle to turntable with protractor! So much fun,

May 31, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #11,120 of 13,846

I agree with this very time my GF, her friends or even old GFs get me something, while its usually a bottle or two of wine, there have been some really nice stuff over the years like 180 bottle wine cabinet, HE-560, Ember, BH Crack, 42" LED TV, 42" plasma (when they were $3K), and a D-700 camera.

All this reading about turntables makes me want to get mine back out of storage again but still fearful of GF dropping the LP on the tone arm / cartridge again
redface.gif

May 31, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #11,121 of 13,846
The other way to look at is if it is in storage, you won't be able to hear either, give her instructions and hope for the best!

May 31, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #11,122 of 13,846
  The other way to look at is if it is in storage, you won't be able to hear either, give her instructions and hope for the best!

Did the instruction bit twice and she still damaged 2 stylus, the damages have only happened after she has a bit too much to drink (about a bottle wine or 4-6 shots) and when she is trying to change one LP for another, rushing too much
blink.gif
 to get the next LP on

May 31, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #11,123 of 13,846
Interesting video on LInn Sondek 

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #11,124 of 13,846
Hi again folks, I'm getting a high pitch sound on my left channel with the tubes I'm using on the Elise. It's like a high pitch hissing sound I'd imagine being over 8khz, happening more often that not, but quiet enough to only be audible when no audio is playing. I know it's not a problem with the Elise, so does this sound like a bad connection on one of the adapters, or just a bad tube? Thanks

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #11,125 of 13,846
I had the same issue on my Glenn OTL Darna 3 days ago when I rolled my newly acquired Sylvania 6BL7's. I let them burn in for a day or so an then tapped the amp with my hand few times (old Russian solution from Armaggedon movie) and it solved the problem. :grinning:

It may not be safe tapping the amp with your hand whilst on hence consult the manufacturer to be safe and sure. :grinning:

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #11,126 of 13,846
Gentleman Jim Reeves died in a plane crash in 1964 at the age of 40. I remember listening to this song late at night on my orange and black AM Motorola 55L3U "Golden Voice" (tube) radio as I licked my wounds after my 7th grade girlfriend dumped me. Fortunately, I've got no wounds to lick tonight but it is the last song I'm listening to before I go to bed.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #11,127 of 13,846
For anyone here, would you consider the Feliks Elise to be the best headphone tube amp under $1000? Compared to  such amps as the La Figaro 339, Woo WA3/6, Little Dot Mk6, etc.?

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #11,129 of 13,846
Hi again
On my PayPal receipt at the end, just above where it says 'yours sincerely PayPal' is the Invoice ID number.
Maybe they are all different.
How are you finding the sound?

Hi Howie,

I can only find a transaction id, so I guess they do look different.

It is quieter (more blackness) and have tighter bass than the Bottlehead Crack, but I feel the soundstage might be narrower atm. Mind, I have stock tubes and only 10 hours on it yet.

Thinking of placing the Sylvanias 6sn7gtb tonight. Very happy overall initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back