Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Mar 4, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #8,465 of 13,856
"We are pleased to inform that a parcel will be soon sent to You"

\o/

Well Vince finally. :) 

I only have a couple hour on it and it already blows away anything I've listened to. My HD700s really like this amp. The treble is smooth and the bass is unbelievable. The sound stage is much better and no hum. Very impressive amp! Thanks guys!

Good to hear. Are you using the stock tubes? It's a good idea to start with stock tubes. Take your time. Enjoy it as you get more hours in.

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8,466 of 13,856
I only have a couple hour on it and it already blows away anything I've listened to. My HD700s really like this amp. The treble is smooth and the bass is unbelievable. The sound stage is much better and no hum. Very impressive amp! Thanks guys!

You started the unbelievable Elise listening experience nojdrof, it is just a start :wink: 

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8,469 of 13,856

Great news nojdrof...really glad you too are obviously falling under Elise's spell - just how many more lovers does this greedy gal want, lol?!!
wink_face.gif

And it certainly looks like she does wonders for the 700s, just as for the T1s....HE560s...HD800s....etc. etc.! ...this gal has many charms, to be sure...
biggrin.gif
. You are in for some seriously happy listening in the days/weeks/months to come....ENJOY!!
beerchug.gif

And it seems you too will be in similar enthrall very soon @vince741...more good news!
darthsmile.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #8,470 of 13,856
Ok guy's I'm new to the headphone thing and really like what I'm seeing regarding the Elise. I'm currently using an Integra DHC 40.1 (part of my home theater system) to power my sennheiser hd700s. I'm loving these headphones! But I want more :) will the Elise make a big difference? I don't see a lot of comparisons to full size home theater components to headphone amps. I do like the sound of tubes from back in my guitar playing days.

Thanks

@nojdrof it wasn't that long ago you were asking this question. Guess you found it out for yourself now.
biggrin.gif

It's great to hear new owners impressions of Elise. After more than 4 months with Elise, I'm still loving it as much as day 1... even more now.

Great to know that there's no hum in your Elise. Lukasz says that all Elise leaves the workshop hum free because it went through strict QC.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #8,472 of 13,856
if you use only one EL34 by side, you do not need any external heating circuit. An EL34 only use 1.5A on 6.3V which is 1A less than a 6AS7G. Keep also in mind that you will not get full power as you only run in 140V in triode mode, EL34 usually run above 250v and even more on guitar amps and using beam tetrode mode.
Original phillips/siemens or american NOS EL34 sound great.
I like the sound of 6L6 for Blues, Jazz, trip-hop it is Bassy with a great soundstage it is not as clean as GEC6080. I should aslo give a look to double EL84 but need time to build adapters and get tubes.

Thanks, HPAMDR,

it would be really interesting to see how the Elise stacks up to some of the EL34 and EL84 amps out there, wonder how it would compare to the (in Europe/UK) common icon audio Stero 40 MKII or Stereo 25 MKII, which are about 2x to 3x as expensive though and also power amps.

They all run 4xEL34 or EL84 or 2A3, but not sure how the circuitry is.

Cheers
WB

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #8,473 of 13,856
                                                                                                        PLUS                            

DVD                                                                                    EL3N + GEC CV2523 + Beyer T1                                  

=  BLISS!                                   

Well folks, after gorging myself on the above combination for a couple of days now, I can honestly say that this DVD has helped polarise all the Elise's virtues that I (and everyone else!) have been extolling for a long while now...nay, solidifying them in stone, lol!

Being able to follow all the (outstanding) musicians visually, while basking in glorious sound is a wonderful - and enlightening - experience. I can see why so many prefer this method of enjoying a live concert over a live concert! With this kind of magnificent recording/mixing, there is no danger of destruction due to poor venue acoustics - either complete flattening of the sound, or excessive homogenisation due to massive reverberation, etc....(so long as you have a decent HP system, of course!
wink_face.gif
).

And this DVD has indeed confirmed Elise as being far more than just decent...assisted no doubt by the masterful engineering of the 2-channel PCM option, in 24bit/48kHz res'n. The sound emanating from this amp is truly astounding. Its resolving ability is first class; instrument & voice positioning/separation - now with visual confirmation, of course - is uncannily precise...everything is just where it should be (closing then opening my eyes to find this to be the case fair made me smile from ear to ear); bass and treble extension are exemplified here, with no loss in the mids whatsoever - there is an immense richness throughout the frequency range along with meticulate delicacy and control, highlighted by the wide (and fascinating!) array of both conventional and more exotic instruments used by musicians of the highest calibre....no single element in the ensemble dominated whatsoever - testament to both the skills of the sound engineer and the guys at Feliks-Audio who crafted Elise, lol!

And so to conclude, this has been the most uplifting listen I have enjoyed since receiving this mini-marvel of an amp - in fact, it is the first time I haven't been able to find a single thing to call "could be better"...it doesn't get much better than this - in my book at least. This has truly confirmed to me that I do not need to chase any further down gibosi's "rabbit hole"...THANK HEAVENS!!....CHEERS EVERYONE...
beerchug.gif

ps. Did I forget supreme PRaT?...silly me! And divine emotional emanation?...how could I?!!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #8,474 of 13,856
Hi,

Somebody asked me to compare the RCA 6AS7 to the quad RCA 6BL7 as power tubes in the Elise. Since I have both sets I obliged. (Maybe he had in mind a level playing field...)

The drivers are a pair of EL3N.

RCA 6AS7: Pleasant sound, but a soft presentation with recessed bass and treble and distant sounding - not up front. The bass sounds hollow and the timbre is not spot on. Instrument separation and air around instruments not very distinct. The sounds reminds me of my modded Little Dot MKIII with 2.5A power tubes.
Verdict: A little anemic and dull.

Quartet RCA 6BL7: Much more refined, much better detail and instrument separation, tight, well controlled bass, much more dynamic, lively and engaging.
Verdict: Sparkling, youthful vigor.

Now, there are better sounding 6AS7 tubes and 6BL7 tubes. The next project will be comparing Tung Sol to Tung Sol - the 6AS7G Chatham and the 6BL7GTA Tung Sol.

Is Chatham Tung Sol? Is Tung Sol 6BL7 GE? Stay tuned....

More questions: If the quad 6BL7 is so great, how come it is not being used? Stay tuned for possible answers....

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #8,475 of 13,856

if you use only one EL34 by side, you do not need any external heating circuit. An EL34 only use 1.5A on 6.3V which is 1A less than a 6AS7G. Keep also in mind that you will not get full power as you only run in 140V in triode mode, EL34 usually run above 250v and even more on guitar amps and using beam tetrode mode.
Original phillips/siemens or american NOS EL34 sound great.
I like the sound of 6L6 for Blues, Jazz, trip-hop it is Bassy with a great soundstage it is not as clean as GEC6080. I should aslo give a look to double EL84 but need time to build adapters and get tubes.

Thanks, HPAMDR,

it would be really interesting to see how the Elise stacks up to some of the EL34 and EL84 amps out there, wonder how it would compare to the (in Europe/UK) common icon audio Stero 40 MKII or Stereo 25 MKII, which are about 2x to 3x as expensive though and also power amps.

They all run 4xEL34 or EL84 or 2A3, but not sure how the circuitry is.

Cheers
WB

The only headphone amplifier i know from icon audio is the HPA8 (650 BP) where the output tubes are 6SN7 it is already much less powerfull than 6AS7G/6080. About price you should keep in mind that Elise is very well positioned and if you want to get a better sounding amp it will cost much more.
You should not really compare speaker amplifier with OTL headphone amplifier as the design is not the same.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back