Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Mar 21, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #8,836 of 13,856
@hypnos1. Thank you so much for your kind words. Coming from you, I couldn't hope for a more meaningful compliment. You, probably more than anyone associated with Elise, have been willing to think outside the box. I have tremendous respect for you. You are confident in what you are experiencing, provide useful information, and are beyond generous in helping all of us. And I agree with all you say about the EL3N. 

Perhaps even more important, I still remember your post about the fact that emotional involvement with the great performances we all have access to is really the ultimate end game. You are the best, my good friend. If I decide not to keep the HD800S, I will be sorely tempted to put the money I'm saving by keeping the T1s toward acquiring a pair of your legendary GEC CV2523s ))) 

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #8,837 of 13,856
What I would like to see, is take an adapter like JV's 6 place in one adapter and make a 4 place adapter in one piece.  Would make a smaller over hang and look much better, IMHO that is.  With the spread of the power sockets should be possible to span one adapter across powers and have 4 tubes.  Wish I would have thought of this sooner, like before I bought separte adapters. MrsL should be able to use the specs from JV's setup to come up with a new product.  I would buy that, even though I have two adapters on the way in.  Would help for "new" Elise customers, also.

You could ask her to make it. She didn't want to make the "bridge" style 6x adapter specific to the Elise because she knew if she made them 3x seperate like the 2x ones, that she could sell to more amp owners.

And she was right, afaik, I am the only person on the planet running 6x 6BL7 in the Elise via a "bridge style Elise specific" adapter :)

She did come out with separate 3x adapters, and immediately sold some Glenn owners.

Cheers...

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #8,838 of 13,856
Hi UT,

I only have two adapters for the 6N7G tubes, so I can only run two of them, but your quartet of 6N7G tubes inspired me to try 2xMazda 6N7G + 2x6BL7.

If I am correct, the current draw is 6.4A total - no need for external power. (1.8 + 1.6 + 3A)

IMG_0594.JPG

For once, my amp looks "normal", which is a plus - no crazy looking adapters and wires. Citizen Lin - it is safe to look lol. (BTW, what tubes r u running?)

So how does it sound? Don't know yet - these oldies need time to warm up - maybe 30 minutes.

Anyhow, where were we? Yes, the sound. OK, first impression is a very sweet and lyrical midrange, but lack of precision in the treble and loose bass; not the control, slam and energy I get with 4 x BL tubes. Very pleasant and I need to re-calibrate my brain. Will post more later - too late tonight.

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #8,839 of 13,856
  Hi UT,

I only have two adapters for the 6N7G tubes, so I can only run two of them, but your quartet of 6N7G tubes inspired me to try 2xMazda 6N7G + 2x6BL7.

If I am correct, the current draw is 6.4A total - no need for external power. (1.8 + 1.6 + 3A)

For once, my amp looks "normal", which is a plus - no crazy looking adapters and wires. Citizen Lin - it is safe to look lol. (BTW, what tubes r u running?)

So how does it sound? Don't know yet - these oldies need time to warm up - maybe 30 minutes.

Anyhow, where were we? Yes, the sound. OK, first impression is a very sweet and lyrical midrange, but lack of precision in the treble and loose bass; not the control, slam and energy I get with 4 x BL tubes. Very pleasant and I need to re-calibrate my brain. Will post more later - too late tonight.

Certainly need time to listen to get any meaningful impressions. Today is my 2nd day on this setup so I'm still listening but it sounded good so far. Certainly not the loose bass or imprecise treble you're hearing. Again you're on speakers and I'm on headphones. 

I'm using 2 Mazda and 2 Visseaux 6N7G which are very similar in sound and identical in constructions. 

Some tubes combination may not gel well too. FDD20 and 4x6BL7 cause distortion on HE560 at 11am. C3G and 4xEL3N does not work. Distortions too.

Your setup is indeed 6.4A. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #8,840 of 13,856
All drivers work well with 6x 6BL7's. Using the 2x 6BL7 adapters I did get distortions with C3gS and FDD20 didn't work well with the 2x 6BL7's either (don't remember distortions, but oddly weak gain was noted).

ECC31 also didn't pair well with the 2x arrangement.

But 3x cleared all that up, and all drivers sound superb.

Listening to ECC31/6x 6BL7 now...its very nice.

C3gS and 6x 6BL7 is super top flight. Best I have heard the C3gS's in this amp.

:p

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #8,841 of 13,856

It's 5.8cm or 2.25inches between the centre point of the 2 front sockets.

Those who have 4x6N7G try and have a listen with EL3N in the drivers seat. It kept me up till 3am. No need for eternal power supply. This setup is a cool 5A and it's an amazing sound. I'll roll in different 6N7G today of which I have 10 pairs of different brands. 

Thanks UT. Don't think it will fit then, unless if I rotate the dual 6J5 adapters 90 degrees which is not possible according to Xu Ling. Or I need to modify them, will have a look ...

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #8,842 of 13,856
  Thanks UT. Don't think it will fit then, unless if I rotate the dual 6J5 adapters 90 degrees which is not possible according to Xu Ling. Or I need to modify them, will have a look ...

You're welcome arie. The 6J5 looks like a shorten version of 6N7. Hope that Elise will be delivered to you soon. You're one of the lucky ones who ordered before the price increase.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #8,843 of 13,856
I'm not in front of you as due to personal reasons I had to place my order on hold. However I'll be taking care of it with the team next week.

So I'll be in for a wait BUT I do have over 1000 albums to rip into flac in the meantime
biggrin.gif

1000 albums !!! You've got more than me. LR has 3TB in DSD.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #8,845 of 13,856
  Yet another combo to try once I receive my Elise. When I'm done, I'll be retired!

When hunting for other tubes, I also found some Visseaux 6C5G's - equivalent to 6J5G (beloved by the project Amber people) and essentially the single triode version of 6SN7. They are cute: somewhat smaller than 6N7G tubes but otherwise rather similar. I have four now. These could go in the driver position using dual 6J5 to 6SN7 adapters but I wonder now if that would fit in the front sockets. These are rather close.... Could someone measure the exact distance between the centers of the Elise's front sockets?

Hi Arie,

6C5J and 6J5 single triode tube can be used one by side on the Elise if you have 6N7 -> 6SN7 adapter. The 6C5 is not as powerful as the 6J5, Drop in replacement goes for C replaced by J..

In Ember you must have a dual adapter as you only have one tube socket, each triode goes to one chanel..

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #8,848 of 13,856

Users who are viewing this thread

Back