Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Mar 20, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #8,806 of 13,846
UntilThen perhaps this won't keep you up at night......

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #8,807 of 13,846
@pctazhp that is a great effort and can easily go up in the formal review for Elise. Thanks for taking the time to post a lengthy and descriptive  comparisons between the Valhalla 2 and Elise. 

In the absence of a thumps up icon, this will do. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #8,809 of 13,846
It's back to basics and I love this tubes combination. Sweet, clear, detail and vibrant sound that will keep you up all night long. 
bigsmile_face.gif

With most tubes combination, Elise's sonic signature is clearly fast transient response, articulate, dynamic, punchy and impeccable pace, rhythm and timing. It's an exciting sound worthy of any TOTL headphones.

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #8,810 of 13,846
Hi pct,

Thank you for a very insightful and thoughtful review. I too, have decided that the EL3N are the ones to stay in the driver's seat at the exclusion of other tubes I have.

I use 4 x 6BL7 for power tubes, and this combination is addictive - I spend much more time listening than ever before, without any listening fatigue.

I do realize that my listening experience may be different than many others on this forum since I use the Elise as a preamp, listening through speakers, and not headphones. YMMV.....

In terms of cost my wonderful system (Elise, tubes, adapters, two speakers + powered subwoofer) cost around $1000, but then I bought the Elise at the introductory price. From what I understand, the price has increased $200 since then. If you factor in all the trial and error tubes and a laptop for storing music, the price goes up considerably.....

In addition to the listening pleasure, I find the voyage of discovering new tubes and tube combinations fascinating. I am thinking of trying JV's setup with 6 x 6BL7 tubes since he reports that he gets very good results with driver tubes that fall short with 4 x 6BL7.

Or, I could stop with what I have since it leaves me very happy. But......

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #8,812 of 13,846
I have a few Hybrid-SACD but not of Peter, Paul & Mary. However I'm having so much fun going from tubes to tubes. Haven't heard this combo for a while but it makes my eye balls grow bigger :)

A wall of sound, front row seat, an impactful bass. Love the 6N7G and 6A6 sound. I'm even getting to love my HD650 again. You hear me Arie? 
L3000.gif

Happy listening!
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #8,813 of 13,846
  A wall of sound, front row seat, an impactful bass. Love the 6N7G and 6A6 sound. I'm even getting to love my HD650 again. You hear me Arie? 
L3000.gif

6A6 and 6N7G are in fact very similar for a same brand except the base and should sound the same. With HD650, you can even use them as output tube running a quad of 6A6 as driver and 6N7G as power... But only with medium-z cans like HD600.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #8,814 of 13,846
Thanks @UntilThen. I'll be pretty busy for the next 2 or 3 weeks. And I'd really like to hear both amps with the HD800S before I post the review. In the meantime seems like the Feliks boys are doing just fine without the benefit of my review)))

And also thanks to you @mordy. I have 4 6BL7s, but will have to order the dual adapters.

@connieflyer. Put me down as a big Peter, Paul and Mary fan. But, oh my. They look so old 
eek.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #8,815 of 13,846
Yes they are indeed similar in sound because I have both Visseaux & Fivre 6N7G and 6A6. Quad 6A6 as drivers? !!! I have enough 6A6 to do that. I have 2 Fivre and 5 NU 6A6 but where will I get the adapters. What will it sound like? I'm going nuts with the combinations now. 
bigsmile_face.gif

2xVisseaux6A6 and 2xFivre6A6 as drivers and 2xVisseaux6N7G and 2xFivre6N7G as powers = 6.4A  
biggrin.gif
 Don't even make me do this.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #8,816 of 13,846
  Yes they are indeed similar in sound because I have both Visseaux & Fivre 6N7G and 6A6. Quad 6A6 as drivers? !!! I have enough 6A6 to do that. I have 2 Fivre and 5 NU 6A6 but where will I get the adapters. What will it sound like? I'm going nuts with the combinations now. 
bigsmile_face.gif

If you have dual 6BL7 -> 6AS7 you can use after regular one to one adapter. (This is not the best but you can get an idea :wink: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back