Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Sep 23, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #11,207 of 11,833
Hi LW,
You write that a good indicator of a great sounding combination is how it sounds at low volume.
I have another criterion but it may not apply to so many others:
I use my amp as a preamp, running it through a tone control section. Usually I leave everything on neutral, but I have found that a good combination allows for much more change when the tone controls are used, especially the bass.

Sep 23, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #11,208 of 11,833
...the RCA was 1948 not 1848 date of manufacture it may not have been written clearly on the box. Or the tube, but can you imagine if you would have had an RCA 6 ns7 actually made in 1848,

What, no pre-Civil War tubes? Seriously, thanks for the correction, I've edited my post...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #11,209 of 11,833
Yeah unfortunately no Civil War is available! Hope you did not take offense that I would correct you, but we try to strive for the fax here on this thread, and I knew that it was just a slight error but like to make sure that things are on the up-and-up. I wouldn't want somebody else that's new to tube start looking for 1848 RCA tubes! Have a good one

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #11,210 of 11,833
This is what I call beauty gents, metal based tubes with retro white markings near some metallic headphones. And the sound is no less that at the same level.

Elise01.jpg

And above:

Elise02.jpg

What to say, my eyes and ears are happy. A very good combo, energetic and clean. The RCA 7N7 are underrated, being one of the best drivers one can have with a very good price/sound ratio.

Elise03.jpg

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #11,211 of 11,833
This is what I call beauty gents, metal based tubes with retro white markings near some metallic headphones. And the sound is no less that at the same level.

Elise01.jpg

And above:

Elise02.jpg

What to say, my eyes and ears are happy. A very good combo, energetic and clean. The RCA 7N7 are underrated, being one of the best drivers one can have with a very good price/sound ratio.

Elise03.jpg
To the best of my knowledge, all 7N7 loctal tubes were made by Sylvania (with the exception of National Union, which Sylvania later bought). You can shop for price by going to rebranded ones - there are many.
For those who have a 12V switch, you can look for 14N7 which are even less expensive.
These tubes are supposed to be in the 6SN7 family.

Sep 26, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #11,212 of 11,833
To the best of my knowledge, all 7N7 loctal tubes were made by Sylvania (with the exception of National Union, which Sylvania later bought). You can shop for price by going to rebranded ones - there are many.

Unfortunately it is not easy to find 7N7 in Europe. But I saw some decent deals in the US. However, I decided to stop buying tubes for a while since I already have a quite good collection.

Later Edit:

Does anyone know what is the difference between Philips 6080 SQ (Special Quality) and Mullard 6080? For me these look identical.

Mullard-6080.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #11,213 of 11,833
I like the way the volume markers are so visible on your unit. Mine are just black, can't really see them at all.

Sep 26, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #11,214 of 11,833

Elise01.jpg

And above:

Elise02.jpg

Elise03.jpg
Keep on enjoying those tubes Octavian, you certainly have an impressive set up and tube collection, respect! :thumbsup:.

Sep 26, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #11,215 of 11,833
Unfortunately it is not easy to find 7N7 in Europe. But I saw some decent deals in the US. However, I decided to stop buying tubes for a while since I already have a quite good collection.

Later Edit:

Does anyone know what is the difference between Philips 6080 SQ (Special Quality) and Mullard 6080? For me these look identical.

Mullard-6080.jpg
In all likelihood the Mullards are rebranded Philips tubes ( and sold at a much higher price).

Sylvania = Philips re 6080

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #11,216 of 11,833
I like the way the volume markers are so visible on your unit. Mine are just black, can't really see them at all.

It was a personal addition to the original design. I bought a permanent white marker and just followed the black markings. For me that volume was unusable with that black on black design because of the light orientation the position of Elise is somehow in the shade. Now it is perfect.

In all likelihood the Mullards are rebranded Philips tubes ( and sold at a much higher price).

I've seen some listings of these Philips 6080 SQ at around 250 EUR for a pair which is definitely crazy since a Mullard 6080 is around 30-40 EUR. For example this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-MULL...-rebranded-Philips-code-AJ1-R1F4/133041779276

At the moment of posting:

Philips.png

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #11,217 of 11,833
No difference. Mullard made those tubes. Philips owned Mullard.

Philips ECG = Sylvania. Philips bought (the relevant part of) Sylvania and called it Philips ECG.
I've seen some listings of these Philips 6080 SQ at around 250 EUR for a pair which is definitely crazy since a Mullard 6080 is around 30-40 EUR.
Buyers must educate themselves.

Sep 28, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #11,218 of 11,833
I'm looking to begin rolling tubes on my Feliks Elise after a little over a year of ownership with Thomson 6080WA and Silvertone 6SN7GTB, paired with HD600 and Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 1 headphones. I've also used my LCD-2 with the Elise, but find the bass is a little more muddled, lacking the impact and speed from a solid state.

I would like to tighten the bass and add a little more warmth to the T1s. I'd prefer not to use adapters and keep the price for tubes under 100$ US. I've combed a little through the pages, but its a bit overwhelming of a thread. I've seen the RCA 6AS7G and Tung Sol 5998 recommended a lot, the prior being within my price range. Are there any other recommendations? Thanks!

Sep 28, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #11,219 of 11,833
I'm looking to begin rolling tubes on my Feliks Elise after a little over a year of ownership with Thomson 6080WA and Silvertone 6SN7GTB, paired with HD600 and Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 1 headphones. I've also used my LCD-2 with the Elise, but find the bass is a little more muddled, lacking the impact and speed from a solid state.

I would like to tighten the bass and add a little more warmth to the T1s. I'd prefer not to use adapters and keep the price for tubes under 100$ US. I've combed a little through the pages, but its a bit overwhelming of a thread. I've seen the RCA 6AS7G and Tung Sol 5998 recommended a lot, the prior being within my price range. Are there any other recommendations? Thanks!

PM sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back