Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Sep 8, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #11,176 of 11,833
Hi LW,
What you are describing about the TS 7236 is similar to my impressions - they sound more solid state like. Personally, I prefer a more tubey sound, and did not find much use for the 7236.
However, it is all about synergy, and I would not be surprised if people came up with great sounding tube combinations using the 7236.
Thanks, @mordy. I think I may go with a more "tubey" driver (1950's era Sylvania or RCA) and see if I achieve that synergy. I am impressed with the 7236 overall for tone, timbre, detail and stage, and with a dollop more euphony would be perfect for my preferences.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #11,177 of 11,833
My 1st adventure in Elise tube rolling is the NOS Tung Sol 7236 pair below. One of the tubes was quite difficult to insert but now both are glowing gloriously and gorgeously in the power positions. Compared to stock 6AS7G, 1st impression is expanded stage width and treble extension, slightly more prominent and tighter bass. Surprisingly, they actually sound a bit less "tubey" and more analytical, but in part I suspect that's based on better staging, instrument separation and micro detail retrieval.

Not sure what year these are, if anyone can help me interpret the date codes that'd be welcomed. Also, recommendations for a 6SN7 that would pair well would be appreciated, as I suspect the stock Psvane 6SN7 "UK's" may be holding the Tung Sol's and Elise back from their best. Considering some 1950's Sylvania brown bases but open to ideas from the more experienced Elise tube rollers here. :k701smile: Thanks!
I have the TS 7236 as well and I found it a bit ss as well, as you rightly say a warmer driver will help, long with Sylvana's, and RCA,s others worth looking into might be the National Union CNU 6SN7 GT, I find it warm (ish) with very good bass, another worth thinking of are Ken rad and also the EL3N, from what I remember goes well with the 7236 (adapters needed), also have you tried the search facility on this thread?, might be worth go if you haven't, as all the major tubes have probably been tried at some time.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #11,179 of 11,833
I have the TS 7236 as well and I found it a bit ss as well, as you rightly say a warmer driver will help, long with Sylvana's, and RCA,s others worth looking into might be the National Union CNU 6SN7 GT, I find it warm (ish) with very good bass, another worth thinking of are Ken rad and also the EL3N, from what I remember goes well with the 7236 (adapters needed), also have you tried the search facility on this thread?, might be worth go if you haven't, as all the major tubes have probably been tried at some time.
Yes @Scutey, the "search" facility on this and the 6SN7 thread have been really helpful, as have responses from the cognizanti like yourself, @mordy, @OctavianH and others. I am actually enjoying the TS 7236 but know that longer term I'll want to complement them with a slightly more "tubey" driver that doesn't detract from the great stage, realistic timbre and detail retrieval the Tung Sol's bring to the table. So we roll on...:o2smile:

Sep 8, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #11,180 of 11,833
Enemy of the wallet strikes back:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273999281916
I've heard mixed things bout ebay sellers for tubes...people promoting meaningless test results and / or relabeling low value tubes as something else. Is it best to avoid them all or are there some where in your experience the probability of an honest transaction is high?

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #11,183 of 11,833
That's the starting price/opening bid amount, and you'll note that the sellers minimum price has not yet been met. Also add shipping and sales tax.....

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #11,184 of 11,833
Hm, I did not knew that you can have a starting bid amount smaller than the sellers minimum price. I mean I do not really understand what logic it has, only maybe to make the seller aware of lower offers and if nobody reaches the minimum price maybe he can decide to sell it for the best lower offer?

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #11,185 of 11,833
A seller can set a minimum price, then set a reserve price any amount higher then the minimum. The idea is to set a low minimum bid to get the bidding started. Whenever I sell on eBay (which is not too often anymore), I always set my starting price at $.99, and I don't use a reserve. I find that a higher starting price along with a high reserve discourages potential buyers from bidding.

For poops and giggles, I'm going to put this one on my Watch list, just to see how it progresses.

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #11,190 of 11,833
HIya folks. I reached out to the eBay seller to ask what the reserve is. He stated that it is 700 GBP (I don't know how to type the symbol for Pounds Sterling). So any bids at or above that amount will automatically make it a sell-able event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back