Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 5, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #7,832 of 11,833
  Welcome SMF.

Many on this thread have found very good synergy between Elise and lower impedance headphones, though the only way to be sure is to listen for yourself.

As to tube rolling, my advice would be to use the perfectly good stock tubes to allow Elise to settle in for about 200 hours and then let us know what you think about the sound and, if need be, how it could be improved for you.

We would then be in a better position to advise since most of us know how the stock tubes sound in Elise and therefore could use them as a yardstick to help you.

Meantime I would save your money as tube rolling can be very addictive.

PS. I started in the world of HiFi with a 33/303- that was a long time ago!

Thanks Howie13, will be in touch when the Elise has had a good burn in, along with the cans.
  I had 25 ohm HPs when I first got the Elise. Lucaz assured me Selise would work with them - and she did.
I preferred them to the 50 (iirc) ohm HE-400i.
The Beyer T1 were the best sounding - but at double the $ of the others I don't know if it was the 600 ohms or just a better HP that made the difference.
My one regret is not trying HD-800.

I found the tubes that sounded great with lower z cans also sounded the best with high z cans...

Many thanks for your feedback.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #7,834 of 11,833
That pair of TS 6sn7 sold for US $426.

Ridiculous.

UT, maybe look for these instead, they sound the same

If these are still to expensive, maybe look for 6SN7 rebrands...this says RCA....but it is actually a TSBGRP and I have been able to snag a few of these pretty cheap over the years....

I agree, some of these tubes have gotten out of hand....but even when you think there are no deals to be had....one will finally appear....be persistent 
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #7,835 of 11,833

When we are rolling tubes we have to be sure that the origin - Recording and Mastering were well done. There are ways to know this. With the high resolution of ELISE, we are discovering what is being done at the level of non-audiophile discs, which show the huge errors in frequency, dynamics, balance and timbre. High definition amplifies errors. We chose before the good recordings and masterizations in addition to the taste for a certain genre of music. Not every CD/files are good to select tubes.
An article regarding this:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/dynamic-range-no-quiet-no-loud-r643/

Certainly a hi-end rig such as with the Elise can bring into the light which albums are mastered well or not, now that we're taken 'closer to the truth' of the recording with all attributes heightened. I however have found that I prefer a good amp system even for poorly recorded albums, because I can still use EQ and / or more roll more 'forgiving' stock-ish tubes that can still make it sound acceptable.

Over the years I became totally intolerant of bad masterings as much as a scratch or background noise on a vinyl record. I prefer NOT SO GOOD audio systems to listen to BAD masterings and when there is a revealing system like ELISE I demand the best masterizations

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #7,836 of 11,833

UT, maybe look for these instead, they sound the same

If these are still to expensive, maybe look for 6SN7 rebrands...this says RCA....but it is actually a TSBGRP and I have been able to snag a few of these pretty cheap over the years....

I agree, some of these tubes have gotten out of hand....but even when you think there are no deals to be had....one will finally appear....be persistent 
smile.gif

Thanks and nice pictures WW. Your tube collection is indeed quite awesome. I'll be collecting more of 6sn7 and variants as time goes by.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #7,837 of 11,833
  Hi Guys, finally got around to doing my review (super long delay, I know).  

The written review is up here!

Hi Ton (quite a nice abbreviation of your sign on name), let me be the first to congratulate you on a review that is unashamedly praising of Elise as she so deserves. A well written, concise review that is not your typical gear review. It is original and frank opinion of one who has taken the time to really evaluate Elise before spewing out the findings.

I too agree that Elise and also Euforia has Feliks Audio house sound. It's a sound that has captivated me for 1.5 years and will continue to do so in the years to come.

The appeal of Elise is so great to me that I will be sending her back to Feliks Audio for a renewal. I intend to keep both Elise and Euforia. They shall be the centrepiece of my head-fi setup.

Cheers,
UT

beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #7,838 of 11,833
I too enjoy the Feliks sound, and also agree that ELise and Eforia have a similar sound, the latter is a bit more open and resolving. I will stay with the Euforia for awhile and see how it progresses, fi I find it to be what I want to hear for the most part, I will stay with just the one amp.  I have already sold my Elise, so no going back. In the near future, I may evaluate the amp more closely as it gets to the point that it is fully burned in, if I am still really impressed with it that will be my main amp.  If I find it wanting in any way then I will be buying McIntosh Labs MHA150 Headphone Amplifier and just be done with it. I demoed it a week ago, and will be going back to demo it for a longer period of time, in a few weeks.  I really like what I hear, and of course there are those blue meters!

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #7,839 of 11,833

Hi Ton (quite a nice abbreviation of your sign on name), let me be the first to congratulate you on a review that is unashamedly praising of Elise as she so deserves. A well written, concise review that is not your typical gear review. It is original and frank opinion of one who has taken the time to really evaluate Elise before spewing out the findings.

I too agree that Elise and also Euforia has Feliks Audio house sound. It's a sound that has captivated me for 1.5 years and will continue to do so in the years to come.

The appeal of Elise is so great to me that I will be sending her back to Feliks Audio for a renewal. I intend to keep both Elise and Euforia. They shall be the centrepiece of my head-fi setup.

Cheers,
UT

beerchug.gif

Now that I'm rolling with all–TFK EL12 (not spez, since today) / EL11 everybody seems to go kosher and appreciate the Feliks house sound! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Although I haven't heard the Tung–Sol reissues to compare, I believe the praise has a lot to do with the Psvanes and the way they complement the Svetlanas. It's been over two weeks that I've left the combo in my drawer but I still remember the qualities that @thatonenoob aptly describes; in fact I'm quite relieved to see people with experience concur with my original impressions. As for my current setup, TFK EL12/11 give me less of a thump which I find much more pleasurable to my ears. I don't know if it's the spez or the reintroduction of the EL11 to the driver seat but I'm quite enjoying the combo.

Glad you're keeping the Elise @UntilThen, I think she deserves the love. Also, @hypnos1's report on the comparison between the Euforia and the Questyle on the other thread made me think that perhaps going kosher just means we're keeping with the sound signature that distinguishes valves from solid state. But I'm just rambling here, I'm still very new to the valve amplification scene and I have very low milage in comparing between different headphones and hp amps. I'd love to know your opinion though.

Well done @thatonenoob, very thorough and informative review! Keep it up!

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #7,840 of 11,833

Now that I'm rolling with all–TFK EL12 (not spez, since today) / EL11 everybody seems to go kosher and appreciate the Feliks house sound! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Although I haven't heard the Tung–Sol reissues to compare, I believe the praise has a lot to do with the Psvanes and the way they complement the Svetlanas. It's been over two weeks that I've left the combo in my drawer but I still remember the qualities that @thatonenoob aptly describes; in fact I'm quite relieved to see people with experience concur with my original impressions. As for my current setup, TFK EL12/11 give me less of a thump which I find much more pleasurable to my ears. I don't know if it's the spez or the reintroduction of the EL11 to the driver seat but I'm quite enjoying the combo.

Glad you're keeping the Elise @UntilThen, I think she deserves the love. 

I'm on Sylvania 6sn7gtb chrome top and Cetron 7236 now. Next week I'll let you know what tubes I'm running. 
etysmile.gif

Elise is the first amp that I bought that cost US$649. That's > AUD$1000 in Oct 2015. Now it's only AUD$855 ?

Then I bought Euforia at US$1200...... 

and why wouldn't I keep both? They look good together. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #7,841 of 11,833
Quote:

Hi SMF. You are wellcome here
I use a closed HF with 20 ohms (Audeze) impedance and it works wonderfully, even with an OTL amp as ELISE

I know this a tube rolling thread but for a better service to ourselves and to Elise I recommend this, for computer audition with USB input:
http://usbdisruptor.com/usb-disruptor-works/

First, I too would like to say WELCOME to fellow Suffolkite @SnapperMusicFan, and well done for choosing the Elise....you won't be disappointed lol! You bring a wealth of product experience with you, and will obviously be a great asset here. And I also am very impressed with how some Audeze HPs can sound with Elise...really like the LCD XC - apart from the weight!!

Re. USB and PC/laptop, my friend Olli swears by the M2Tech HiFace 2 USB to coax converter/reclocker...it certainly does wonders from his laptop to coax in on his Chord Mojo - if this is relevant to your post, that is!
wink_face.gif

Great review, ton...and thanks for taking so much time and trouble to do it - perhaps many folks don't realise just what time and effort is involved in such ventures!
wink.gif
darthsmile.gif
...CHEERS!...

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #7,842 of 11,833

Hi Ton

beerchug.gif

Hi UT!  Gotta love the abbreviation -thanks.  The Elise is really quite something to me - especially considering the market that exists in. Nowadays with amps climbing to over 3k unabashedly, it's really hard not to appreciate the fact that the Elise is so reasonably priced, yet great sounding.  Plus, the house sound is simply addictive -elegant.

I too enjoy the Feliks sound, and also agree that ELise and Eforia have a similar sound, the latter is a bit more open and resolving. I will stay with the Euforia for awhile and see how it progresses, fi I find it to be what I want to hear for the most part, I will stay with just the one amp.  I have already sold my Elise, so no going back. In the near future, I may evaluate the amp more closely as it gets to the point that it is fully burned in, if I am still really impressed with it that will be my main amp.  If I find it wanting in any way then I will be buying McIntosh Labs MHA150 Headphone Amplifier and just be done with it. I demoed it a week ago, and will be going back to demo it for a longer period of time, in a few weeks.  I really like what I hear, and of course there are those blue meters!

Sounds like a plan!

Glad you're keeping the Elise @UntilThen, I think she deserves the love. Also, @hypnos1's report on the comparison between the Euforia and the Questyle on the other thread made me think that perhaps going kosher just means we're keeping with the sound signature that distinguishes valves from solid state. But I'm just rambling here, I'm still very new to the valve amplification scene and I have very low milage in comparing between different headphones and hp amps. I'd love to know your opinion though.

Well done @thatonenoob, very thorough and informative review! Keep it up!

Thanks, and the all TFK E12 certainly sounds interesting!  It's like ACDC's Back in Black....but erh "Back in Grey?" instead.  Gotta say, the Elise is very different from some of the current mode Questyle stuff (probs also due to the fact that Questyle is current mode).  Questyle CMA600i wasn't my kinda sound - fast, resolving, needs bass thump and a little harsh.  The CMA800i was a bit more mellow, but the dynamics were definitely spot on. Clear improvement over the 600i (something tells me that the AKM implementation in the 600i may have something to do with this too). Feliks is more euphonic, and most likely it's gonna be hard to replace - very few SS can achieve tube sound without significant compromises.  Cavalli's house sound is one of the few that I've been impressed by.

Great review, ton...and thanks for taking so much time and trouble to do it - perhaps many folks don't realise just what time and effort is involved in such ventures!
wink.gif
darthsmile.gif
...CHEERS!...

It's a great piece of gear - totally worth the time and effort!  Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #7,843 of 11,833

CF, I'll give you those blue meters. Just buy these and put in front of Elise... eh in your case Euforia.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #7,844 of 11,833
Quick UT get those in the mail they look great thank you for your offer I really appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back