Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #7,807 of 11,833
Yes. They didn't much care about such minor details.
wink.gif

I'd have to see a photo of the code to be sure.

I'm a hopeless photographer and I can at best only capture the 'D'. The rest of the code can't be visualised in the photo.
You can see it below the second L of  'Holland'. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #7,811 of 11,833
Thanks. I give up.
biggrin.gif

(If there are characters in front of the D, it's not the factory code.)

Thanks for trying to identify the maker, Oskar.

There is a number 83 just before, but slightly above the D so the D could be at the start of the second line of the code.

Anyway, I would say sound-wise it has the sweet treble I have associated with other Valvo tubes in the past.

I may buy a spare pair and perhaps the code will be clearer on them. Will post if so. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #7,813 of 11,833

A bit late in the day but just for the record I've also now had the opportunity to try EF86 tubes, with dual EL12spez powers.

First in the driving sockets were a pair of  EF86 RFT (branded Zaerix). Silent background, warm, neutral and smoothly boring, lacking dynamics for my taste but will suit some genres, cans and ears.

Next a pair of EF86 Amperex and these were completely different. Dynamic and engaging, clear, sweet extended treble, nicely balanced mids and articulate bass.

HD650 sounded very good indeed. No veil here. There is a little microphony if I touch the amp during play but it's silent otherwise. Generous sound-stage too, though not as wide as with Tungsram E80CC  drivers, but wider than ECC88 Bugle boys. Bugle Boys have even more inner detail and clarity though. I like all these. Here's a picture of the Amperex EF86 set-up.

I should have added that as UT noted the vol pot needs to be set higher than with most other drivers-11 o'clock typically, instead of 8-9, but the sound doesn't suffer at all. There was always adequate headroom for the wide dynamics of a symphony orchestra.

Thanks Howie for the feedback. At least your experience is unlike that of @DecentLevi 's VERY DISCOURAGING.  
biggrin.gif

My ears and hearing cannot have gone that off. 
biggrin.gif
 EF86 is stellar sounding on Figaro and I find it to be so with Elise too.

I did stop rolling non recommended tubes though. Reason being, as I was experimenting with EF86, EF80, I was also contemplating EL84. This could have been a good power tube. Then I check myself. I was going utterly tangentially in the direction of pentodes. Nah, I'm returning to the rivers of innocence, to where it all began with Elise and Euforia - 6sn7 and 6as7/6080. I might pick up some choice 6sn7 and gec 6as7g at a later stage.

But enjoy and nice to read your reports and experiments with other tubes. I know I can count on your impressions. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #7,814 of 11,833
That sounds more like B3D, which would be a Blackburn Mullard.
regular_smile .gif

Oskar-you are a genius!

Now in daylight I see what I thought was an 8 is in fact a B, which would indeed make the code B3D followed by a 5. Maybe Blackburn, 5th week of 1963.

I think I will get a spare or two, as, for me, they are very good tubes. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #7,815 of 11,833

Thanks Howie for the feedback. At least your experience is unlike that of @DecentLevi 's VERY DISCOURAGING.  
biggrin.gif

My ears and hearing cannot have gone that off. 
biggrin.gif
 EF86 is stellar sounding on Figaro and I find it to be so with Elise too.

I did stop rolling non recommended tubes though. Reason being, as I was experimenting with EF86, EF80, I was also contemplating EL84. This could have been a good power tube. Then I check myself. I was going utterly tangentially in the direction of pentodes. Nah, I'm returning to the rivers of innocence, to where it all began with Elise and Euforia - 6sn7 and 6as7/6080. I might pick up some choice 6sn7 and gec 6as7g at a later stage.

But enjoy and nice to read your reports and experiments with other tubes. I know I can count on your impressions. 
beerchug.gif

You are quite right. Too many variables to adequately evaluate. Back to basics with your lovely new Euforia.

For the present you can indeed entrust tube rolling to your Scottish TWIN 
darthsmile.gif

darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back