Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Apr 4, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #7,816 of 11,833
Hello All,

As a newbie to this forum, with a fair experience with both new hifi (Chord Electronics, Mr Speakers, Feliks Audio, Dynaudio, Cyrus, KEF, Rega & Campfire Audio) & older amplification (Quad - valve & transistor, Croft & Linn) I am very keen to learn about both tube rolling and the different headphone/DAC/amp combos that work with the different impedance headphones. I have a Feliks Audio Elise that I am new too. All the reviews for this amp that I can find and have read are glowing - excuse the pun, It would seem, by the reviews I have read, that this amp prefers higher impedance headphones, Feliks recommend an impedance of 32-600ohm impedance for the headphones. I have placed an order for the new Aeon having listened to it recently at Head-Room London, it has a published impedance of 32ohm so is at the low end of the range for the Feliks. Will I be able to use these fabulous new headphones with the Elise? If so, & with respect to your vast experience of tube rolling, could you please make a recommendation of which tubes you would recommend for a low impedance planar headphone as the Aeon & the Elise as a combo?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #7,817 of 11,833
Hi SMF. You are wellcome here
I use a closed HF with 20 ohms (Audeze) impedance and it works wonderfully, even with an OTL amp as ELISE

I know this a tube rolling thread but for a better service to ourselves and to Elise I recommend this, for computer audition with USB input:
http://usbdisruptor.com/usb-disruptor-works/

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #7,818 of 11,833
  Hello All,

As a newbie to this forum, with a fair experience with both new hifi (Chord Electronics, Mr Speakers, Feliks Audio, Dynaudio, Cyrus, KEF, Rega & Campfire Audio) & older amplification (Quad - valve & transistor, Croft & Linn) I am very keen to learn about both tube rolling and the different headphone/DAC/amp combos that work with the different impedance headphones. I have a Feliks Audio Elise that I am new too. All the reviews for this amp that I can find and have read are glowing - excuse the pun, It would seem, by the reviews I have read, that this amp prefers higher impedance headphones, Feliks recommend an impedance of 32-600ohm impedance for the headphones. I have placed an order for the new Aeon having listened to it recently at Head-Room London, it has a published impedance of 32ohm so is at the low end of the range for the Feliks. Will I be able to use these fabulous new headphones with the Elise? If so, & with respect to your vast experience of tube rolling, could you please make a recommendation of which tubes you would recommend for a low impedance planar headphone as the Aeon & the Elise as a combo?

Welcome SMF.

Many on this thread have found very good synergy between Elise and lower impedance headphones, though the only way to be sure is to listen for yourself.

As to tube rolling, my advice would be to use the perfectly good stock tubes to allow Elise to settle in for about 200 hours and then let us know what you think about the sound and, if need be, how it could be improved for you.

We would then be in a better position to advise since most of us know how the stock tubes sound in Elise and therefore could use them as a yardstick to help you.

Meantime I would save your money as tube rolling can be very addictive.

PS. I started in the world of HiFi with a 33/303- that was a long time ago!

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #7,819 of 11,833
  Hello All,

I had 25 ohm HPs when I first got the Elise. Lucaz assured me Selise would work with them - and she did.
I preferred them to the 50 (iirc) ohm HE-400i.
The Beyer T1 were the best sounding - but at double the $ of the others I don't know if it was the 600 ohms or just a better HP that made the difference.
My one regret is not trying HD-800.

I found the tubes that sounded great with lower z cans also sounded the best with high z cans...

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #7,822 of 11,833
  When we are rolling tubes we have to be sure that the origin - Recording and Mastering were well done. There are ways to know this. With the high resolution of ELISE, we are discovering what is being done at the level of non-audiophile discs, which show the huge errors in frequency, dynamics, balance and timbre. High definition amplifies errors. We chose before the good recordings and masterizations in addition to the taste for a certain genre of music. Not every CD/files are good to select tubes.
An article regarding this:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/dynamic-range-no-quiet-no-loud-r643/

Certainly a hi-end rig such as with the Elise can bring into the light which albums are mastered well or not, now that we're taken 'closer to the truth' of the recording with all attributes heightened. I however have found that I prefer a good amp system even for poorly recorded albums, because I can still use EQ and / or more roll more 'forgiving' stock-ish tubes that can still make it sound acceptable.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #7,823 of 11,833
Quick guys bid for this. 
wink_face.gif

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222455151949?ul_noapp=true

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #7,825 of 11,833
I hate to say it but my pair look a look newer and in better condition than that pair, maybe I better sale while the freebies are being spread around

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #7,826 of 11,833
Perhaps this will calm you down some, Jackson Berkey, on piano, of Mannheim Steamroller fame....

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #7,827 of 11,833
or perhaps something a little different  Jessy Sykes

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #7,828 of 11,833
Have to get one for @pctazhp so he can relax

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #7,829 of 11,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back