Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jan 9, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #10,877 of 11,833
Yesterday, after a few months of listening to the same combination of tubes, I felt that my CV181-T2 + 5998 were not sounding anymore as they used to. The difference was that the bass section was somehow muddy and I felt that the clarity and detail were somehow affected. I decided to wait until today and try again to see if I have the same feeling. And today I still felt that the problem was there. These tubes had somewhere at 700 hrs, so normally the burn in process was already a long time finished. Also my Beyers T1.2 have somewhere at 2000 hrs on them. Now, hard to say if these tubes really changed, the whole line evolved somehow or I am just older and crazier than in 2018. Anyway, today I decided to change them and give a chance to Foton 6H8C (the "famous" Ribbed Anode) combined with a pair of Tung Sol 7236. We will see where these will take me, at least I will have a chance to form an opinion about this pairing, since I never really tried them for real.

6-H8-C-7236.jpg

The first impression is good, but of course, time will tell if I am on the right track or not. So, it seems I am back on track with the nice activity of tube rolling.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #10,878 of 11,833
Did you say "the nice activity of tube rolling"?
10223407.png

In the front is an Istok 6N3P and a pair of Siemens C3g as driver tubes; then the following power tubes: four GE 6BX7 (tubes have different labels but are all GE) and a pair of Tung Sol 5998 tubes for a total of 12.2A.
The amp is a Glenn OTL and it can handle up to 13A in any combination of tubes.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #10,879 of 11,833
Forgot to say that you can use this amp with good results with only three tubes: A dual triode driver and a pair of power tubes. The octal front driver socket accepts 6, 12 and 25 volt tubes.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #10,880 of 11,833
Omg, you have heavy artillery there. What to say besides: impressive. If it sounds as good as it looks you are somewhere in heaven or above. I will stick to Elise for a bit because I have to take care also about the below buddy and "he" is also needing a lot of attention from my side, but as soon as possible I will, most probably, jump to Euforia. Glenn OTLs are above my budget and experience, so who knows, maybe they will become an option sometimes in the future when I will be older and wiser. I only think about what combos you can make to that one...

2018-10-19-14-29-08.jpg

Jan 10, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #10,887 of 11,833
Spot on Oskari....this unashamed plugging of Glenn's amps on the Elise thread is fast approaching moderator intervention. We here - and over at the Euforia thread - have never intruded on Glenn's thread in this way. Please desist at once @mordy ...
Hi h1,
You are absolutely right - meant to post privately, and I will not post on this thread about the GOTL. Sorry.
Sometimes you get carried away......

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #10,889 of 11,833
After 3-4 combos I returned to the Psvanes and the 5998. What to say, when you always return to the same combo you might have one of the following 2 problems:
1) these are the best tube paring you were able to find
2) you need to order the tube types you never tried before.

I'll meditate to this dilemma during the evening while listening to some good old U.D.O.

2019-01-11-17-37-50.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back