Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Sep 29, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #10,861 of 11,833
The D8000 are the best headphone I've ever heard. And I've heard them all. It was powered from a Wells Audio Milo.

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #10,862 of 11,833
The D8000 are the best headphone I've ever heard. And I've heard them all. It was powered from a Wells Audio Milo.
You too? Looks like a lot of people listened to the D8000 through the Milo, and everybody speaks the best about the combo! Unfortunately I don't think it's readily available in Europe and with the added cost of import charges it makes it rather prohibitive to try against the Questyle... The latter was Final's own recommendation when I asked them which amp they use/recommend with the D8000.

Apart from that, I totally agree: the D8000 are truly remarkable!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #10,863 of 11,833
You too? Looks like a lot of people listened to the D8000 through the Milo, and everybody speaks the best about the combo! Unfortunately I don't think it's readily available in Europe and with the added cost of import charges it makes it rather prohibitive to try against the Questyle... The latter was Final's own recommendation when I asked them which amp they use/recommend with the D8000.

Apart from that, I totally agree: the D8000 are truly remarkable!

I linked my review from the last Head-Fi meet I attended. Of course the one and only Jude attended along with a plethora of hi-end gear. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se-michigan-meet-6-3-18-impressions-thread.881246/#post-14292461

I enjoyed the D8000 with everything that I plugged into. Some just more than others. My only gripe is the weight. If they introduced a lighter version that sounded the same I'd have them by any means possible.

BTW: it was the DAVE/Milo combo that I heard that made quite the impression.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #10,867 of 11,833
HI h1. feeling quite pleased with myself lol, managed to acquire 4 ST CV 1052's, boxed NOS, two clear glass, and after five nearly five months of looking two grey coated as well, should hopefully arrive by the end of the week, they may be rare as hens teeth but if you're patient and keep looking, eventually you'll be rewarded! :ksc75smile:.

On another note, at the mo I have in my Elise the coated ST CV's and a pair of ST smoke glass EL32, and currently listening to Echoes from Pink Floyd's Meddle album, the rhythmic bass sequence in the middle of the track is absolutely pounding with these tubes in, wonderful!.

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #10,869 of 11,833
Just picked up the all black DT990 600ohm model. These sound amazing powered by Elise!
Hi ch,

I have the 32 ohm version of the 990, no good with the Elise, of course, so my hp of choice is it's successor, the 1990, which sound fantastic, however I have been thinking of getting either the 250 or 600 version of the 990 for the Elise so I gave the two a comparison test on my Schiit Magni 2, I have to say I found the highs rather sharp on the 990, so my question is how do you find the highs of the 990 with the Elise?.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #10,870 of 11,833
Hi ch,

I have the 32 ohm version of the 990, no good with the Elise, of course, so my hp of choice is it's successor, the 1990, which sound fantastic, however I have been thinking of getting either the 250 or 600 version of the 990 for the Elise so I gave the two a comparison test on my Schiit Magni 2, I have to say I found the highs rather sharp on the 990, so my question is how do you find the highs of the 990 with the Elise?.

So far they show no signs of being overly bright. Very clear. I too have heard the 990 on SS amps and it made my ears bleed.

I got them from Massdrop for $165. Worth it IMO. Plus they look great in all black.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #10,872 of 11,833
HI h1. feeling quite pleased with myself lol, managed to acquire 4 ST CV 1052's, boxed NOS, two clear glass, and after five nearly five months of looking two grey coated as well, should hopefully arrive by the end of the week, they may be rare as hens teeth but if you're patient and keep looking, eventually you'll be rewarded! :ksc75smile:.

On another note, at the mo I have in my Elise the coated ST CV's and a pair of ST smoke glass EL32, and currently listening to Echoes from Pink Floyd's Meddle album, the rhythmic bass sequence in the middle of the track is absolutely pounding with these tubes in, wonderful!.

Well done Scutey...you're set for life already lol! :gs1000smile:

Bass absolutely pounding?...OMG - I give you now fair warning of what's heading your way...be prepared!! :wink:

And if the EL38s do for Elise what they're doing for my Euforia, I've a sneaking suspicion you'll find you have a fair few spare EL32s!!! :astonished:

Nov 29, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #10,874 of 11,833
Well done Scutey...you're set for life already lol! :gs1000smile:

Bass absolutely pounding?...OMG - I give you now fair warning of what's heading your way...be prepared!! :wink:

And if the EL38s do for Elise what they're doing for my Euforia, I've a sneaking suspicion you'll find you have a fair few spare EL32s!!! :astonished:
That's great to hear h1, already limbering up, for that bass!.

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #10,875 of 11,833
OK guys...time to update Elise lovers on the EL38 tube (for those who may not have been catching the excitement over at the Euforia thread).

Rather than repeat all the progress reports on trials of this amazing tube, I shall simply summarise by stating that in all the years I've been experimenting with tubes that can often surpass those properly configured for, the EL38 is proving to be by far the best...and in all areas you care to mention.

This tube fills in any gap whatsoever that in previous ones - conventional or otherwise - may have been present...either empirically, or based on personal preference. Never before have I been so adamant - or sure - about any tube that can be used in either Elise or Euforia. And my own findings have been corroborated not only by @connieflyer , in the Euforia, but duplicated by @Scutey in his Elise. Plus, after about 200 hrs' use by myself - with 10+ hr sessions sometimes - the amp has still run barely warm (with four EL38s even), and shows no sign of 'discomfort' whatsoever. The exact opposite in fact...no tubes before - except the EL32 - have felt quite so at home in F-A's amp, so their safety looks very good indeed.

This tube takes our amps to a level way beyond anything previously tried...full stop!! :)...even with just 2 as powers (especially when driven by the EL32). With 2 also as drivers, the result is quite spectacular.
And so if anyone is interested in seeing just what their Elise is capable of, I suggest checking out the Euforia thread for further info...there's quite a bit now lol! :wink:...CHEERS!...CJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back