Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
Jan 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #10,171 of 11,833
I am eager to hear your impressions of the '53 Fotons. Visually they are totally unimpressive, with the minutest tube glow and an anonymous almost crude industrial look, but they really sound great IMHO!

Jan 3, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #10,172 of 11,833
I am eager to hear your impressions of the '53 Fotons. Visually they are totally unimpressive, with the minutest tube glow and an anonymous almost crude industrial look, but they really sound great IMHO!
You're right, they're not going to win any beauty contest!, although I don't mind as long as they sound beautiful!.
I'm just giving them their first warm up, I'll use a few different power tubes, probably ge 6as7ga, mullard 6080, RCA 6080, and Chatham and Sylvania 6as7g, I'll report back in a few days.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #10,173 of 11,833
Tested HD800S with Elise today.
Fine pair of cans, but it's pretty easy to hear the lack of synergy between my tubes and the HD800S. Too bright, not enough "meat" and the midrange is reaaaaaally intimate. Uncomfortably intimate.
What's worse, they've also shown some of the faults of T1v2. This whole audio thingy is quite complicated, isn't it? :beyersmile:
That obviously led me to the only reasonable solution - I need new tubbbbbeeeessss. Now it's time to browse the topic in order to find the best possible combination ...

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #10,174 of 11,833
Tested HD800S with Elise today.
Fine pair of cans, but it's pretty easy to hear the lack of synergy between my tubes and the HD800S. Too bright, not enough "meat" and the midrange is reaaaaaally intimate. Uncomfortably intimate.
What's worse, they've also shown some of the faults of T1v2. This whole audio thingy is quite complicated, isn't it? :beyersmile:
That obviously led me to the only reasonable solution - I need new tubbbbbeeeessss. Now it's time to browse the topic in order to find the best possible combination ...
That's the thing about tube amps it can take time to find what's right for you cans/setup, beware though this tube rolling can lead to addiction! lol, it is however enjoyable!.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #10,176 of 11,833
Oh just the 2017 stock ones.
Didn't feel the need to change them before ... but I suppose the time has come.
Been thinking about the ken rad vt-231 / 6sn7gt, looks like people are really enjoying those.

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #10,178 of 11,833
Oh I can survive unmeasurable amounts of bass. As long as the windows are fine, so am I :L3000:
Jokes aside, I've heard they are the best when it comes to bass, but I'm more worried about potential downsides - lack of clarity, bland highs or whatever else bad can happen.
Anyway, It's probably all hidden in the topic somewhere, but if you have any suggestions when it comes to high quality tubes feel free to write!

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #10,179 of 11,833
Oh just the 2017 stock ones.
Didn't feel the need to change them before ... but I suppose the time has come.
Been thinking about the ken rad vt-231 / 6sn7gt, looks like people are really enjoying those.
The Ken Rads are very good, another very nice tube and cheaper too is the Sylvania 6sn7 gtb, that has pretty good bass too, but my fave driver so far has to be the EL3N (with adapter), warm, detailed and excellent dynamics, but there are lots of really nice tubes out there, if you read this thread you will find lots of recommendations for great tubes.

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #10,181 of 11,833
Lol, I know what you mean!, try and isolate one tube you like the sound of from the comments you've read and then maybe go with that, that's what I did, but don't rush it, take your time and you'll find the right one to try... eventually ! :ksc75smile:

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #10,182 of 11,833
Oh I can survive unmeasurable amounts of bass. As long as the windows are fine, so am I :L3000:
Jokes aside, I've heard they are the best when it comes to bass, but I'm more worried about potential downsides - lack of clarity, bland highs or whatever else bad can happen.
Anyway, It's probably all hidden in the topic somewhere, but if you have any suggestions when it comes to high quality tubes feel free to write!

The Ken Rads are expensive, but very nice and there are no downsides, just more bass (which I like).

My favorites for Elise as drivers were a setup we called "2031" one FDD20 and one ECC31...

Or a pair of FDD20's (adapters and external 12v heat for the FDD20 is required).

Search this thread for 2031 info:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-elise-new-thread.782754/page-696#post-12583650

Cheers!

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #10,183 of 11,833
8031587.jpg

A picture from the '2031' days...

H1 discovered this combination and went on and on about it (in style, as only he can do). So I tried it and found he was right. Somehow the two different driver tubes complimented each other perfectly and produced a rich sonic orchestration, in the Elise.

I know it sounds crazy to use different drivers, but all who tried it, really liked it.

One FDD20 (requires adaptor and external 12v heat) and one ECC31 (requires adaptor).

In the picture is the FDD20 in foreground and ECC31 behind. Powers here are the Mullard 6080's. (I would suggest socket saver spacers on the 6080's as the do run quite warm, the spacers keep heat away from the amp innards).

My amp always suffered from heat build up, some said thiers didn't. We think the transformer in 220v units had to work less hard than 120v units and generated less heat...?

Anyway...have fun! Elise is a nice sounding amp, 2031 or via the default compliment.

Cheers...!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #10,184 of 11,833
I believe 6070 is a typo. You must have sold your amp. :)

And eccxx tubes are too expensive for someone haven't tried any alternative/non-stock 6SN7GT tubes.

Keep in mind, later KEN RAD are GEs.

8031587.jpg

A picture from the '2031' days...

H1 discovered this combination and went on and on about it (in style, as only he can do). So I tried it and found he was right. Somehow the two different driver tubes complimented each other perfectly and produced a rich sonic orchestration, in the Elise.

I know it sounds crazy to use different drivers, but all who tried it, really liked it.

One FDD20 (requires adaptor and external 12v heat) and one ECC31 (requires adaptor).

In the picture is the FDD20 in foreground and ECC31 behind. Powers here are the Mullard 6070's. (I would suggest socket saver spacers on the 6070's as the do run quite warm, the spacers keep heat away from the amp innards).

My amp always suffered from heat build up, some said thiers didn't. We think the transformer in 220v units had to work less hard than 120v units and generated less heat...?

Anyway...have fun! Elise is a nice sounding amp, 2031 or via the default compliment.

Cheers...!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #10,185 of 11,833
It honestly sounds(and looks) intriguing. I'll definitely put it on my short list.
Obviously it probably won't be the first setup I'll try - simply because I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with tubes. Elise is my first tube amp. And that 2031 setup looks kinda complicated. If I can't buy it as a package, I'd rather wait a bit and get wiser.
Thank you all for the tips and info, it means a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back