Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
May 16, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #8,116 of 11,833
My price point is lower, 50 or so, so I don't know much about the pricier stuff. I tend to prefer my Scotch peaty and smoky, which, I realize, is not for everybody. These I know will work for me: Talisker 10, Laphroaig 10, Caol Ila 12, Oban 14, Lagavulin 16. Talisker is the gold standard. The list includes Islay, Island and Highland whiskies. I would like to try some Campbeltown whiskies if I could get them easily.

Ledaig 10. This is a new one for me from the Isle of Mull. Fruitier than the above and not as smoky but veeery nice.

May 16, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #8,117 of 11,833
Ledaig 10. This is a new one for me from the Isle of Mull. Fruitier than the above and not as smoky but veeery nice.
Tempted!

May 17, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #8,118 of 11,833
My price point is lower, 50 or so, so I don't know much about the pricier stuff. I tend to prefer my Scotch peaty and smoky, which, I realize, is not for everybody. These I know will work for me: Talisker 10, Laphroaig 10, Caol Ila 12, Oban 14, Lagavulin 16. Talisker is the gold standard. The list includes Islay, Island and Highland whiskies. I would like to try some Campbeltown whiskies if I could get them easily.

I usually check the reviews on that site if I want to try something new.

Wow, this is from way back, being isolated on an island I couldn't find any of those recommended back then but I did luck out when I traded my SR009/SRM007mk2 with a good friend for a few cases of wine and 12 bottles of scotch/whiskey, got some pretty good ones: Suntory Yamazaki 12 Single malt & Hibiki 21, Macallan Fine Oak 21, Glenlivet Archive 21, Auchentoshan 21, JW Blue, Glennfiddich 21, and Ballantine 30, 6 bottle were 75% or more full, but its what my good friend considered a good cross section for me to learn since it would be hard for me to get some of them these days and he can always drink them when he's visiting. To be honest I think some of the better ones are wasted on me but having them for friends that really appreciate good Scotch/Whiskey makes the time spent together all the better.

May 17, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #8,119 of 11,833
I would caution giving too much importance to someone who has only briefly tried Elise. With the right tubes (and there are many good combos) it is highly musical.

I believe we are all entitled to an opinion, regardless of tube rolling experience. Some of us have been keen listeners of music for decades, built our own systems inc speakers, crossovers,
cabinets, and more in the past. This all counts as experience as does playing in the county youth orchestra as a kid. It's learning & training your ears over time.

I have not spent $80,000 dollars on a system, and don't intend to as I don't see the need, the Elise proves this, so does the Mojo & Hugo, the technology in these DAC's is not off the shelf
unlike a lot of DAC's & Chord Electronics would not put the ability to use them at line level if they where not intended to do so.

Opinions do matter, everyone has a different view & all are valid in helping others make a decision on the way their hard earned cash is spent...:smile_phones:

May 17, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #8,121 of 11,833
I take it you're drawing inspiration from the Euforia, which is basically the already upgraded Elise that also has silver wiring, upgraded caps, etc., right?
I like that they are doing parts upgrade and calling it euphoria but I don't care what input coupling cap you install it won't compete with straight occ wire sonics,by the way yank the load resistor on the grid of input tube.I have'nt used grid stoppers since the early 80's,I use ferrite beads as close as possible ti grid of tube without touching it,you slide it over your teflon insulation on the wire you are using.Also replace the 2 475 ohm grid stoppers going to the 6as7 tube with straight wire.The improvement will not be minor!!!!!

May 19, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #8,127 of 11,833
Wow, these tiny desk concerts are really cool! I was listening to this the other day...

May 20, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #8,129 of 11,833
Hello again my dear audio-friends :beerchug:

It has been a while, I want to spare you the blah blah of rationales, but life had to be lived and as much as I missed you guys and the very fine conversations we conducted, I temporarily needed to prioritize time and focus on certain activities.
Still -who am I trying to kid here:ksc75smile:- these "certain activities" did not completely exclude some glorious audio adventures :L3000:
I did some intense EL-tube-listening (the EL12spez, EL11, EL12n and EL3n) that has been a joyful endeavor indeed since I have been spared the sometimes mentioned humming problems completely! I will save my subjective findings for a future extensive post but SPOILER ALERT I won´t sell them off at ebay anytime soon :p

May 20, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #8,130 of 11,833
Catching up on the last few hundred posts made me smile quite a bit, as conversations frequently shifted to the DAC-topic, especially the Schiit Audio Multibits... The second major audio enterprise I concentrated on within the last month was upgrading my DAC, since I ultimately felt that my Mojo still was a little underwhelming for the Elise-HD800-chain.

Well, I won´t go into detail too much here in the Elise-thread, but I had some great gear passing over my desk within the last few month, the RME Adi-2 pro, the Questyle cma 600i, some Audio-gd gear and some Schiit gear, I even had the opportunity to listen to the Mytek Brooklyn DAC (Hamburg is pretty gifted with Hifi-shops).
In the end however, I went with the Gungnir Multibit. Haha, it´s actually almost spooky to revisit my favorite Head-fi-thread after some time has passed, just to find that overall the topic has independently shifted in exactly this direction in the meantime :dt880smile:

The Gumby is just spectacular. And it is one of the biggest improvements I have ever experienced in audio gear, coming from the Chord Mojo. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Certainly it is a fully-balanced DAC and therefore probably the Bimby is absolutely sufficient when pairing it with the Elise, but I have to admit that I also purchased the matching Mjolnir 2, because I liked the way my LCD-3 sounded when driven by the Mjolnir´s insane power and fully-balanced also.

Still, I won´t go balanced with my HD800 any time soon, the Elise-HD800 is just that good of a combination. A match made in heaven. And it definitely should be as widely known and appreciated as the Crack-HD650-combo is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back