Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
May 21, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #8,146 of 11,833
Hi Oskari,
wp0TZVgVROgFNrVN7ogmm0tRTyIGO9xGjcFfozNMBw9Fwgx5TAZd4eLAEYt-RJfrjBv9ijwr4VyG_Kk1canaUD3wAl54d__0R98fTWeE5WPRR3ROmyBQqQRIjEmo0vIIDzRx4CeT1_74J2MHuvgvO41uoCU5V-MfALCc3aTSb_F7CPpd_FKC_eJbhzQ_Sf6sd2SVEKyVEN5YgogOsZDIbxFvMMHOvKvMr5jTJ3NGkU5OlLD8ktrv_q3f1B-792OXMRM1pw9Oikurct01KOM5nUQ10Xq0Cws6tq0D-C7hhs1NYeH-ESrNytD12nEdaldAbtEvW0mGxJhSUJ--Yyodseq9pW3MnEzyo0mCHHR_JflQ-rKRmdIrT6LmaDIsoRJdjs7KnN4eiKurXSkGv3Mk3RY4yuVamWHT-I9OXZ2auUAMeEnmjCg2qjuc42o8oxxmypCSTXO7j8OG_pzfwXuqeGjhZE58GhkaQkoBqG8C8iAt9zGtVmGfQyPyqqly-_OHkQ77-VPDfXKIql5QGvwQONinjrrx5hW0-9zgNJNm5WyWAoooiCpdz4Jh_1uLlzXPhVFjMmdHxXhN1f9b2eIkajNklMpYu9FPDLTocvZI4m-NMB3g9r1Fug=w657-h875-no

I have this unopened bottle from the 50s-60s but eBay won't let me sell it since I do not have a liqueur license. I have another bottle of the same that is open and it is pretty good.

Hi mordy,

I found this on drinksplanet.com:

Full bottles of Haig & Haig "pinch/Dimple in good label & stamp condition are worth the following:

1920s - (Spring Cap) $250-$300
1930s - (Spring Cap) $200-$250
1940s - (Spring Cap) $150-$200
1950s - (Spring Cap) $100-$150
1960s - (Metal Twist Cap) $45-$65
1970s - (Plastic Twist Cap) $25-$35

You probably should try and sell them in specialized forums/classifieds....?

May 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #8,147 of 11,833
Well, back on topic: Either way, my friend, I think both the Gungnir MB and the Yggdrasil are those kind of end-game devices that really finally make you forget about the equipment. I mean, it´s probably never over in our hobby but you buy one of those and are done with it and upgrading for many years to come imho...AND it´s probably the best overall high-end-value on the market right now...oh, AND you can send them in for an upgrade if something new appears!

Lobster, I am going to delete the word 'upgrade' from my vocabulary now. So pass me one of those special bottle of whisky while I drown my sorrows over the euphonic tunes that is assaulting my ears.

May 23, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #8,149 of 11,833
Can't seem to find a way of searching this thread, so I apologise if this has been asked before. Has anyone tried either 6F8G - Sylvania's or 6C8G - Ken-Rad round black plates in the Elise? From what I've found on line the characteristics of the Ken-Rad are strong bass and clarity, large soundstage & creamy sound. The Sylvania's are a little harder to find info on. Any info much appreciated.

May 23, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #8,150 of 11,833
Haha, dude, that is so surreal! :k701smile:
I actually DO recall mentioning a serious interest in high-end DACs back in the days when Tidal Masters -discussions dominated this thread. You were keen on going for the full-decoding stuff and I mentioned that I was considering the Mytek Brooklyn myself in this regard... It´s so insane that we both ended up buying Schiit Multibit gear completely independentely, what are the odds? I swear to god I did not have a single look inside those threads since I wrote something myself the last time. I kinda felt like being in detention, avoiding to look outside the window to see the children play in the sun :grin: But now I´m back... and I have been owning the Schiit stuff for about 3 weeks now...

I took this whole DAC-thing reeeeeaaally serious, compared DAC-sections, Amp-sections, then both with my Mojo, than...aaah, it was crazy, I´m glad I´m done with this...I also read an awful lot of course, but ultimately I knew I could only trust my own ears so I actually compared over days and days, whenever I could spare some time.
Overall the competition got smoked by the Gumby. Period. With some DAC/Amps music indeed sounded like an excellent recording. With the Gungnir Multibit it sounded like an excellent live recording. That´s essentially the main thing, it sounded like you were there... I could list dozens and dozens of specific examples and certain passages from certain songs, sometimes I would return the next day to them and yep, still would hear the same definitive difference. A key song was the mediterreanian sundance from the Live in San Francisco - Album...those guitars....they came to live...the impact of those strings on the instrument....amazing.
The Mjolnir 2 is a fine amp also. As I mentioned, besides having a better source for the Elise, the scope was to go balanced with my LCD-3.

I did not have a chance to listen to the Yggy however. I just read at least a dozen times that many actual owners did not hear a significant sonic difference between it and the Gumby and some of them even downgraded to save money. I also read (on the site, that shoud not be named) about a few guys actually owning Yggys who did a very serious blind test to compare it with the Gumby and after all the majority was sure that they recognized their Yggy but actually had voted for the Gumby as the better sounding source. Howsoever, there also are different opinions regarding this of course, most are saying that the Gumby is supposed to sound more "analog", "vinyl-like" and the Yggy on the other hand is even a tad more resolving overall. But as I mentioned, I wasn´t able to compare them side by side, maybe you had the opportunity at Addicted To Audio?
For me, the choice overall was an easy one since you could buy TWO Gumbys for the price of an Yggy (German prices at least) and - considering form factor - the Yggy is supposed to be paired with the Ragnarok of course, but as I do not own passive speakers, this seemed like overkill in my situation.

Now for cables and the Regen: I also did my research on those devices and filtered all the positive and negative feedback they got and all-in-all: I won´t buy into them... Many claim the Regen actually DOES alter the sound, but I read that as in: it does ALTER the sound. Not sure I actually want that and right now the sound I´m getting is just so completely perfect with the state-of-the-art-clocking and everything.... hmmmm.....I still need to be convinced here...
As for cables I´m using Audioquest ones but nothing too fancy (Forest USB and Golden Gate RCA, ah and the Schiit PYST XLRs). I still don´t really believe in cables but it admittedly DID feel weird to plug in my 2€ printer-cable into a X.000€-audio-chain, so I bought the cables just for the sake of easing my mind...

Hi HpLobster, im glad you found the right DAC for yourself. I believe it was you who earlier said that you didnt like the chord mojo as a standalone DAC, if so can you ellaborate?

Im using the mojo right now with the Elise and thinking about purchasing the Bifrost Multibit since i rarely use the mojo as a portable device, did you get a chance to compare them side by side? Impressions? :)

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #8,151 of 11,833
Hi HpLobster, im glad you found the right DAC for yourself. I believe it was you who earlier said that you didnt like the chord mojo as a standalone DAC, if so can you ellaborate?

Im using the mojo right now with the Elise and thinking about purchasing the Bifrost Multibit since i rarely use the mojo as a portable device, did you get a chance to compare them side by side? Impressions? :)

Hi Wreckgar,

well, I guess it would be wrong to say I didn´t like the Mojo. Actually I did like it quite a bit. Initially I bought it because back then I was looking for a setup that would work equally good as a home and portable setup (and happily found it in the lovely PM-3-Mojo-combo). I compared it to almost every mid-tier to high-end DAP in existence (you can easily find my thread about this, it´s kind of popular here on head-fi), but in the end the Mojo actually convinced me the most.
After I settled on my main desktop rig however, first of all having to disconnect and reconnect it every time was pretty annoying, also I kept thinking that after investing that much in headphone and amp, the Mojo might not be on par and holding it back. The good old "upgraditis"-thought that kept returning. Still, I was just objectively curious to see, how much further I could bring the sound quality. Honestly, I did not know what to expect. It might have turned out that upgrading up to a certain still affordable level might not bring that much of an improvement and would have lived a happy live with the Mojo after all. Well, you know the end of the story....

I still like the Mojo for what it is...as I still like (maybe even love) my PM-3 for what it is...but for serious listening with complete transparency and details retrieval, the Gumby is soooo much better. After switching back to Mojo after a while, the sound actually seemed murky at first, until your ears readjust. Mojo has much more emphasis on mids and vocals, the lows are pretty good but the highs are very smooth and almost thinned. The Gumby is....it´s all over the place....you can hear everything but nothing is emphasized, all those microdetails, especially on acoustical music... chimes, bass strings, trumpet-blows...a voices character and fine nuances of phonetics....you got to hear it to believe it. Honestly, it is that good. It´s a night and day difference. I´m not exaggerating. Of course, it´s still music that is projected on your eardrum, so you have to see this in a certain relation, but ultimately -within the boundaries of listening to headphones- those differences are spectacular.
I cannot stress out enough, that on the other hand the Gumby managed to not sound analytical at all! I listened to the ADI-2 Pro that gets raving reviews all everywhere, it is an amazing piece of gear, but all those details and the reproduction still sounded...yeah....artificial .....like a very, very good recording as I said somewhere before. The Gungnir instead managed to make it sound like something organic, like live music...

I don´t know about the Bimby, I haven´t heard one, but I would strongly suggest to try one out for yourself, maybe even a Modi MB and/or some other comparable item. Only trust your own ears. :beerchug:

May 23, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #8,153 of 11,833
Lobster, I agree with you. If you didn't like the Mojo, it means you have lost your mojo.

I haven't heard the Mojo (ok I lied.. I heard it for half a song at a meet and couldn't remember anymore) or Gumby, but I can tell you the Yggy is a multi function home appliance and will keep you up late every night listening to music. You will be happy that you have build up a library of flac files - yes even the humble 16/44.1 format.... because they will sound so much better now !!!

May 24, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #8,154 of 11,833
Hi Wreckgar,

well, I guess it would be wrong to say I didn´t like the Mojo. Actually I did like it quite a bit. Initially I bought it because back then I was looking for a setup that would work equally good as a home and portable setup (and happily found it in the lovely PM-3-Mojo-combo). I compared it to almost every mid-tier to high-end DAP in existence (you can easily find my thread about this, it´s kind of popular here on head-fi), but in the end the Mojo actually convinced me the most.
After I settled on my main desktop rig however, first of all having to disconnect and reconnect it every time was pretty annoying, also I kept thinking that after investing that much in headphone and amp, the Mojo might not be on par and holding it back. The good old "upgraditis"-thought that kept returning. Still, I was just objectively curious to see, how much further I could bring the sound quality. Honestly, I did not know what to expect. It might have turned out that upgrading up to a certain still affordable level might not bring that much of an improvement and would have lived a happy live with the Mojo after all. Well, you know the end of the story....

I still like the Mojo for what it is...as I still like (maybe even love) my PM-3 for what it is...but for serious listening with complete transparency and details retrieval, the Gumby is soooo much better. After switching back to Mojo after a while, the sound actually seemed murky at first, until your ears readjust. Mojo has much more emphasis on mids and vocals, the lows are pretty good but the highs are very smooth and almost thinned. The Gumby is....it´s all over the place....you can hear everything but nothing is emphasized, all those microdetails, especially on acoustical music... chimes, bass strings, trumpet-blows...a voices character and fine nuances of phonetics....you got to hear it to believe it. Honestly, it is that good. It´s a night and day difference. I´m not exaggerating. Of course, it´s still music that is projected on your eardrum, so you have to see this in a certain relation, but ultimately -within the boundaries of listening to headphones- those differences are spectacular.
I cannot stress out enough, that on the other hand the Gumby managed to not sound analytical at all! I listened to the ADI-2 Pro that gets raving reviews all everywhere, it is an amazing piece of gear, but all those details and the reproduction still sounded...yeah....artificial .....like a very, very good recording as I said somewhere before. The Gungnir instead managed to make it sound like something organic, like live music...

I don´t know about the Bimby, I haven´t heard one, but I would strongly suggest to try one out for yourself, maybe even a Modi MB and/or some other comparable item. Only trust your own ears. :beerchug:

Thank you so much for your input, the Gumby does indeed seem very nice through every review, but a bit out of my price range. I agree that the mojo is incredible as a dac/amp portable device, but i cant seem to wonder how it compares to other DACS, and as i live up in northern sweden it is very hard to try other options, not the least Schiit products :/ ofcourse i could order a Bifrost MB and if im not happy with the result, send it back but it seems like to much work :p And i noticed that my PLUG-type is out of stock at Schiit-EU for the Bifrost. I am however going to New York in october, does anyone know if there is a shop i could try Schiit products?
Btw, i might have a chance to try the Focal Elear in a few days, hopefully with the mojo so i can compare it with my modded HD650 :)

May 26, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #8,156 of 11,833
i live up in northern sweden it is very hard to try other options, not the least Schiit products :/ ofcourse i could order a Bifrost MB and if im not happy with the result, send it back but it seems like to much work :p

Schiit-europe´s customer service is absolutely recommendable. You can go ahead and order your stuff there without concerns and sending the gear back within 14 days is no problem at all if you treat it carefully (well, goes without saying :speak_no_evil:) Schiit Audio - gear is hard to find in Germany also, but sure, if you already have planned a trip to New York, you certainly should be able to find a good store that has Schiit gear on display...:thumbsup:

May 26, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #8,157 of 11,833
May 27, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #8,158 of 11,833
At the other forum that is not to be named, Elise is one of the tube amps recommended for HD800. It is the wettest sounding of all the tube amps named there - that's what was stated.

I don't need others impressions to convince me. To my ears, HD800 sounds just lovely with Elise and Euforia. So much so there's no need to mod the stock HD800. On the same token, T1 and modified HD650 sounds very good on these 2 Feliks Audio amps too. These are the 3 headphones in my inventory. I don't need any more headphones. :)

May 27, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #8,159 of 11,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back