Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read first post for summary)
May 12, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #8,086 of 11,833
Have people stopped turning their Elise into a Xmas tree yet? Really hope new members don't follow these "mods"
Hey @GangGang, this is exactly the core foundation of this thread, albeit some diversions have been indulged during the 539 pages it spans. :gs1000smile:Here's what thread starter @pctazhp wrote in post#1:

I’m trying this new Elise thread as an experiment to see if there are those interested in a basic Elise thread. Of course, I can’t dictate the rules for this or any thread and would not presume to try. But I am suggesting the following guidelines for those who might be interested in this type of thread:
:
  • This is intended as a thread for those who are primarily interested in the 1-tube-per-socket (with or without single-tube adapters) approach to the Elise – for both current owners of the magnificent Feliks Audio Elise and those who are considering a purchase.
  • Discussion of different tube combinations we have tried or are considering is encouraged, but discussion of external power and multi-tube adapters is discouraged.
  • Discussion of compatible DACs, headphones or other related gear is encouraged.
  • Photos of our setups are highly encouraged, as are examples of music we enjoy with our Elises.
  • Helpful information for those who are thinking about buying an Elise is highly encouraged
  • A true sense of community, mutual respect and courtesy is the goal.
#EDIT: Come to think of it, people have even begun to steer away from tubes that are not within the original specifications of Feliks Audio! Whole world gone mad, maybe?!? :L3000:

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #8,089 of 11,833
I think that's a good thing. Too many people without knowledge or a background in tube amp manufacturing doing crazy stuff. The amount of a train that it puts on components.
Well, at least the history of these escapades is well–documented!...

May 14, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #8,090 of 11,833
Hi all, taking cue from the recent discussion here and on the Euforia thread about DACs etc, I wanted to ask your opinion on a possible upgrade path; namely, now that I finally feel happy enough with the Mullards in, I'm debating whether to get a Chord Mojo first and then look for a pair of Beyer T1, or the other way around. Looks like either of these go for around £450-500 but if I take the step it would have to be one over the other.

What do you think? (especially calling on @hypnos1, @pctazhp @UntilThen @mordy and all the rest of the crew with experience or currently experimenting on the subject)

PS. I've been reading through the original Elise thread these days, and there's lots of info which come through with the new light of actually owning the Elise! Plus, what fun to check with all the original agonies at the time of the Elise's birth!

May 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #8,091 of 11,833
I have been watching this post from the beginning and I think the tube swapping has run its course.It's time to step up the game and proceed to improve the amp itself.First change the input coupling cap with a solid piece of OCC silver wire{big sonic improvement}.Second add a bypass cap to the 2.2uf output capacitor{two top picks are a .033 to .050uf teflon cap from russia or Jupitor copper foil of same value,the russian cap needs to be modded-remove aluminum cover and replace the leads with occ siver wire,I have complete instuctions for those interested.I strongly recommend replacing all signal path wiring with solid occ silver wire.Seems production costs have used standed average wire in signal path.These changes will make a bigger sonic improvement than chasing the tube swap monster.Not that tube swapping is not an improvement but you will hear things you have not heard before and more musically natural and real.After this is complete I will have more updates for you since my unit is far from stock!

I take it you're drawing inspiration from the Euforia, which is basically the already upgraded Elise that also has silver wiring, upgraded caps, etc., right?

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #8,092 of 11,833
Hi all, taking cue from the recent discussion here and on the Euforia thread about DACs etc, I wanted to ask your opinion on a possible upgrade path; namely, now that I finally feel happy enough with the Mullards in, I'm debating whether to get a Chord Mojo first and then look for a pair of Beyer T1, or the other way around. Looks like either of these go for around £450-500 but if I take the step it would have to be one over the other.

What do you think? (especially calling on @hypnos1, @pctazhp @UntilThen @mordy and all the rest of the crew with experience or currently experimenting on the subject)

PS. I've been reading through the original Elise thread these days, and there's lots of info which come through with the new light of actually owning the Elise! Plus, what fun to check with all the original agonies at the time of the Elise's birth!
Chord Mojo as a DAC isn't great value IMO. I would personally look in something like a Modi Multibit.

With a chain like that the T1 wouldn't really be worth getting as the 600 series is a more resolving and better tonally balanced headphone especially on TOTL tube gear.

Getting a HD600 or HD650 upgrade is difficult and there isn't really an upgrade path for them apart from simply getting better gear.

May 14, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #8,093 of 11,833

I have not heard the Chord Mojo, but you would be paying for both a DAC and an amp. With the Elise you don't need the amp. I have had my Schiit Bimby for a year and half and I love it (most of that time running it with Elise). At $600 I think it is hard to beat. And many think the lower cost Mimby is just as good. My guess is either would be preferable to the Mojo. And the Bimby is upgradeable for future. I feel confident that either the Mimby or Bimby would be very compatible with a T1. I had a T1 for a month with my Bimby (and Elise) and that was a wonderful combination.

The Schiit DACs are all designed by Mike Moffat, who probably is as knowledgeable about DACs as anyone, and unlike a lot of current designers, was a very early digital pioneer, having designed the Theta 5 DAC which is legendary. So if I were you, I'd start with either Mimby or Bimby and then T1. I know I shouldn't say this, but I think you'd be crazy to do anything else!!!!

May 14, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #8,095 of 11,833
Mojo on its own

Mojo Dac'd with

Elise
Zana Deux
HP8
Lyr2
Valhalla 2

many more.

I sold my T1. I currently own the HD800, HD650, Nighthawk, LCD-2 and LCD-3. The T1 apart from the LCD-2 was the least resolving of the bunch.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #8,096 of 11,833
I take it you're drawing inspiration from the Euforia, which is basically the already upgraded Elise that also has silver wiring, upgraded caps, etc., right?
No not really,when I first received it I opened it up to see the schematic and parts quality.I have been doing this since the 70's,so the minor cap upgrade and wire change would be simple things for most people.This is just the tip of the iceburg on what could be done to this unit!

May 15, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #8,097 of 11,833
I might not be too popular around here after this.
Not really a Schiit fan. I had a Bifrost and Lyr. Could not get rid of them fast enough, after hearing some quality dacs and amps.
Schiit just left a bad taste in my mouth (LOL). Maybe their new stuff is better, but I'm very happy with the dacs and amps I replaced them with.

May 15, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #8,098 of 11,833
I might not be too popular around here after this.
Not really a Schiit fan. I had a Bifrost and Lyr. Could not get rid of them fast enough, after hearing some quality dacs and amps.
Schiit just left a bad taste in my mouth (LOL). Maybe their new stuff is better, but I'm very happy with the dacs and amps I replaced them with.

My mother taught me more important to be right than popular. Fortunately I've always been both :ksc75smile:

I have a Valhalla 2 and never been particularly impressed with it. Haven't heard any other Schiit amp. Just curious about your Bifrost. Was it multibit?

May 16, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #8,099 of 11,833

The Mojo is not a good stand alone DAC at the price but as a portable DAC/amp its quite good except for some headphones like the HE560, HD800 and T1.1 from the few times I've borrowed the Mojo from a friend. The Mimby is the cheapest MB DAC and its a great value but there are better DACs that I would also look at. In your sig you have a Benchmark DAC 1 and Meridian Explorer 2, these are both pretty good/great to start with so getting a better DAC will probably not be in the $400-500 range. The Hugo is quite a bit better than the Mojo even if the specs seem to indicate they are fairly close.

The T1.1 is a great headphone and the Elise will be great with it but to me the T1.1 does not have the best tonal balance of headphones in its price range. As one poster suggested that there are not many upgrades to HD600/650 but I've found them in custom built Ypsilon and Nhoord driver builds. The best thing about them is they sound great out of a computer headphone output or even a cheap Fiio X3 and negate the need for external DACs and amps.

FWIW I'm a little different from most where I have kept most of my headphones and enjoy them for their different sound signatures and am not looking for "upgrades" like many here on head-fi seem to do. Most headphones are great with a few genres of music but I've yet to find one that can do it all.

May 16, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #8,100 of 11,833
@GangGang, @aqsw, @DavidA, and @pctazhp, much obliged for your input; it's really great to be able to gain insight from people who've experimented so extensively with head gear! From what you tell me, it looks like the Elise + HD600 + Meridian Explorer 2 can only go laterally rather than upwards, thus concluding that my original plan to max out at the price point actually worked! :dt880smile:

Having said that, I've recently joined a discussion on a Greek Head-fi thread where local audiophiles seem to think that the 200mW output of the Elise may be rather wimpy compared to the 800mW/channel of the Valhalla 2. Obviously "de gustibus" applies given the stated preference of the people in the Elise threads over the Schiit, but I wonder how does one respond to this scepticism?

EDIT: @GangGang, since you have both I'm particularly keen to hear what you have to say!
EDIT 2: @pctazhp, I know where you stand, obviously, but I'd be happy to hear your arguments on the technical side as well! Plus, Theta Digital does bring the fondest memories of my early audiophile days, albeit entirely out of reach for my pocket even back at a time when I was paying good money for my speakers gear! Or, perhaps I had settled for the Benchmark too soon maybe?

On this opportunity, let me refresh your memory to the fact that the Elise was actually my first ever venture into Head-fi (disregarding a pair of Ety Hf2 which I've been using on my cellphone for quite some years now), therefore I have no basis for comparison!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back